New Ateca

Tell

Staff member
I'm frustrated with the dealer network round here in North East London. VW to me does a much better job, My local one gives me the car back after service and the turbo boost pipe drops off and renders the car undriveable. They would not accept responsibility. Smoke test and glueing the pipe on since they didn't have the parts which dropped off the moment I started it (latter I assume since I was offered a temporary fix after it fell off after being returned to me after a service). Complete jokers and pretty dangerous to drive with their bodged service. I wasn't assured when I visited the next local Seat garage yesterday.

You buy a new car and want to entrust it to a good garage to be looked after. Seat UK needs to sort out its dealer network as well as not penning correctly choice into its model range. You want choice on the seats, engine and a decent franchise dealer.

This particular next local garage had not taken any pre orders yet on the Ateca citing lack of information from Seat on deals as the issue. My local duff garage I hung the phone up on them when they called back to say they couldn't match a brokers measly current discount which again is down to Seat HQ. Seems Seat UK has some work to do on the product offer and support network of garages. I had no complaints with Seat MK garage but back here you do feel like buying a different make even thou you like the car to an extent due to lack of decent main dealers.

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I had a test drive this morning. The cars arrived in the Spanish dealers over the weekend. It was a 2.0 150ps 4 drive. Nice car overall. Significantly more leg room in the back. It corners well, not as good as the Leon, but far better than many other cars with little body roll. It had the 19" alloys and the road noise on fresh asphalt was unacceptable to me. I would stick with the standard 18"s. They also seem to wander slightly, a sort of tramline effect on some surfaces.

Compared to my Leon 1.4tsi it seemed much less powerful, presumably because it weighs over 300kg more. The 190ps will be better, but that's only available here as 4 Drive DSG. I will be getting the 1.4tsi 150ps DSG which is a lot lighter and will probably perform much better.

The big screen is really good, but I didn't have enough time to play with it. Electric parking brake takes a bit of getting used to.

I was quoted a 10 week delivery date for a September order.

Tell

Staff member
The 20" look pretty.

Discounts is suppose to be related to SEAT shipping them to the business sales, whilst we can all bide our time if we want to save money. Mind you with the UK reduced spec they might not manage this. My local dealers around NE London are an apology for dealerships. So yeah.

Good read Fred.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Yes, we get loads of discounts, but they are all determined by Seat. The dealers get much lower margins so they have very little individual bargaining power. On a first run through the dealer system, it generated about €3000 discount. That`s before adding some of the other discounts for finance etc.

When I bought my Leon the list price was €24k. Allowing for all the discounts I walked out for €17k. They have just offered me a minimum of €12k as a part exchange. It's 3 years old, but only 15000 km on the clock.

I really think you guys are being ripped off on prices in the UK and as for the weird engine combinations it's crazy. Auto boxes are very common in the UK, even in small cars. In Spain they represent about 10% only, so why do we get the DSG options and you don't?

As for compulsory leather, that's mad. The Alcantara seats are really nice and you are paying for the leather somewhere in the price. On the other hand, you get a "free" alarm which would cost me €300 or so - perhaps a reflection ofon the risk of theft in the UK compared to Spain.

I have to assume there is some logic for they way they do it, but if there is, I can't work it out!

Last edited:

rambalad

Nov 1, 2013
Merseyside
I went on the ES configurator and it was showing a discount of 4,000E at the end for something or other. Alcantara is 450E more than cloth and leather another 750E on the Spanish site. My Leon is about the same age with Alcantara trim and 25K and I would expect around £8,500 on trade in. Couldn't see the 20" alloys Tell referred to though. As for alarms, it seems to be a British spec as they aren't standard in Eire either.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
The €4000 discount is always quoted on their prices and it includes €1500 if you part exchange a 10 year old car for scrapping and assumes a finance deal. The actual deals vary a lot, I even got a loyalty discount as I had previously owned a Seat. I think that was €600. The discount for finance was about €2300 but they threw in a 4 year warranty and 4 year roadside assist.

The Alcantara with the orange/brown inserts is standard on the Xcellence and black Alcantara is €105. On lesser models, the Alcantara costs €405. The orange/brown will look good on the Samoa Orange and the metallic bronze (but of course, Seat UK doesn't want you to have that - crazy)

I think the sunroof is standard in France on the Xcellence, but luckily not so in Spain. With the sun temperatures here the last thing I would ever want is a sunroof. On the other hand, I suppose you could cook a pizza on the back seat!

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Fred so what's the discount as a percentage.

I think I got my Tigi wheels confused with the Ateca. Coastal walking in Ireland is my excuse. I might give up considering the Ateca if the discounts don't come through. The colour choice is too limited for me and the leather seats are a put off. Think as I may have mentioned Seat UK heads need knocking together, they can't be reducing costs by limiting choice just putting off buyers.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
It's not as simple as that as the discounts tend not to be based on the cost of the car. As a result a low spec car will have the same discount as a high spec car.

On my Leon, which did include a big scrappage discount (which has since been reduced) it worked out at nearly 30%. On the Ateca, which will be fully loaded, it will be nearer 15%, but until I get closer to ordering I expect to be able to get a bit more, even if it is reflected in the P/ex.

I understand that Seat are amazed at how many firm orders they have taken without the buyer even seeing the car, let alone driving it. In Spain it is at least 800 orders, my dealer had at least 20 on his computer. I understand worldwide the figure is nearer 3000. Given that situation Seat is less likely to be generous with discounts. Once the initial demand is shipped things could change.

If you read all the latest reviews, they are all very positive and it looks as if Seat have a real winner on their hands from day 1, which is not something they have had before, or at least not on this scale.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The straw poll I've done in London and my trip up north suggested hardly any orders taken. Of three garages I asked (did say straw poll), two had taken one order each, another zero. A forth garage wasn't pushing them since they couldn't discount them. Yes I know the discount will be about the same. Background is in management research so I do apply the subject when talking to dealers and Seat staff plus brokers.

The best explanation I have had on discounts is that Seat UK aren't as yet got their prices out to the business buying community which is the biggest buyer, as a consequence you are not seeing discounts in the retail trade. Against this Seat UK has hobbled the product. The magazine reviews some are just Seat press handouts from Seat UK telling us punters what we want based on their hobbled offer in the UK. Thus personally I don't think the prognosis is that good for Seat UK on this one. Elsewhere in Europe where they haven't hobbled the range, offer discounts and have a reliable dealer network things may well be better. Seat have made their bed on the Ateca in the UK and must lay on it until they make it again.

It's all a bit amateurish and transparent to me in how management have executed it. Targeting Leon owners is silly for starters... and Seat Europe need to sort them out. Give us full upholstery options on the Xcellence, full paint range, engines, a good dealer network and discounts and I wouldn't be so critical. I'm passing for the time being on being a proud owner of a car I don't really want to buy since its too hobbled as I sit on a leather settee that's hot and sticky !. That's my number one complaint on the Xcellence in the UK.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Discounts are likely to reduce further. After Brexit, the drop in the Euro/GBP exchange rate should see prices increase from the factory by 10% or more for shipments to the UK.

Tell

Staff member
I did wonder whether that is why they were holding. I'm told it's the business car sales that dictates discounts / pricing so all are in the same boat. After two glasses of wine I could make a sarcastic remark about Brexiters but better after one, so won't. Markets are flexing about and currency, probably whether the Ateca average owner can afford one rather than the price taking in their job prospects. Dah, all about political aspirations and the working classes or unemployed being conned.

rambalad

Nov 1, 2013
Merseyside
Thanks for finding that, great in-depth review. have to see that channels other reviews in future. Conclusion was - better than a Quasqui, in most areas as good as or better than the new Tiguan and cheaper, 1 litre engine not so good and don't get your head caught in the power rear hatch when it closes.

Tell

Staff member
The fabled 57 minute review.

My problem is I want 4WD DSG and I don't want leather seats. In UK you have to have leather which I decided that I hate. Being on a three week holiday I've sat in a few rental places with leather seats and you go yuck. Partners a veggie so siting on dead animals skin doesn't have appeal. Seat UK aren't bothered about high end veggie drivers and people who don't like the feel and comfort of leather. Paint choice is restricted in the UK so all of this are big negatives. No flexibility in rear seats.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I did go a Google on Alcantara earlier to see what the option was. Us Brits are not worthy of it or cloth so we have to have manky leather on the Xcellence range. I did see on a VW Golf US site pictures of their bum imprints on their leather seats and a discussion of their bum shapes and deformed leather. No, I can't think of big American bums. There is not alot going for leather unless you have kids with icecreams and sticky sweets or practise recreational activities in your car. I do remember in my dad's car everything use to fall off the back seat, another floor with leather upholstery. I personally have no requirement to recreate my father's ex police Wolsey car leather upholstery which he had, cracks and all. I would have to get the dog as well and the hamster for the foot well. Ah the smell of hamster to add to the selling point of the Ateca's leather seats. Yummy :). Evident guys that buy this stuff never lived the 60s and you know what they say ?. Evident Seat UK staff can't remember the day the president died and that leather seats were so last century. Where's the walnut then ?. Leather seats to me are a big negative and a reflection of times gone, nasty surface and just uncomfortable.

rambalad

Nov 1, 2013
Merseyside
Q2 prices announced

Audi Q2 prices

Model Specification Transmission OTR Pricing
Q2 1.0 TFSI (115PS)* SE 6-speed manual £20,230
Q2 1.0 TFSI (115PS)* Sport 6-speed manual £21,780
Q2 1.4 TFSI CoD (150PS)* SE 6-speed manual £22,380
SE 7-speed Steptronic £23,930
Q2 1.4 TFSI CoD (150PS) Sport 6-speed manual £23,930
Sport 7-speed Steptronic £25,480
Q2 1.4 TFSI CoD (150PS) S line 6-speed manual £26,180
S line 7-speed Steptronic £27,730
Q2 1.6 TDI (115PS) SE 6-speed manual £22,480
SE 7-speed Steptronic £24,030
Q2 1.6 TDI (115PS) Sport 6-speed manual £24,030
Sport 7-speed Steptronic £25,580
Q2 1.6 TDI (115PS) S line 6-speed manual £26,280
S line 7-speed Steptronic £27,830
Q2 2.0 TDI (150PS)* Sport 7-speed Steptronic £26,930
Q2 2.0 TDI (150PS)* S line 7-speed Steptronic £29,180
Q2 2.0 TDI quattro (150PS) * Sport 7-speed Steptronic £28,360
Q2 2.0 TDI quattro (150PS)* S line 7-speed Steptronic £30,610

*available later in the year.

Alcantara available as an optional extra :D

Tell

Staff member
I see Alcantara is default on the Leon Cupra when I check out the high spec model. Lack of choice on cloth or Alcantara is just plain stupid in Xcellence range in the UK. If you want sales sell the customer what they else people won't buy the Ateca and just get frustrated with Seat UK and it's problematic dealer network. I.e. you just pull the wings off the organisation that seems dysfunctional.

Keep checking whether Seat have seen the light of day yet on the upholstery yet before launch but nope. Still up in marketing clouds.

Tell

Staff member
Ah well I ordered one after all with the leather seats I don't want. Had the satisfaction of telling the mechanic in the duff local Seat garage why I didn't order it from them, but since they have you over a barrel in so far as you never know when you might need them to work on the car, didn't take it any further. One North London garage is a total joke. Mind you, since there is only one, locals can work that out. I find Protyres in Enfield very good at front line stuff which they sort out so the duff local garage just get the service which I'm now shifting away into Essex. If you book your service online then the Seat warranty breakdown doesn't limit you to the 12 miles I have on my current breakdown cover which means I can avoid the people you really don't want to do business with.

So in summary European customers can have their Xcellence in four times as many upholstery choices than us !. Alcantara, two choices, plus two leather choices. Ireland two, black and brown leather. Us Brits just sticky black leather. If you want a 4x4 DSG that's all you can have.