Golf R to Cupra 290

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Hello all, first post here but I have been lurking about in the shadows reading off and on for a few months.

I'm currently driving around in one of those cheapo lease Golf R's. It's a bog standard (more stuff as standard than I need anyway) red 5 door. I ordered the car with low expectations without even driving one and i have to say I've enjoyed it much more than I thought. So much so that I'm looking to replace it with something very similar.

Enter the current Cupra 290 BE deal on at CVL. When I ordered the Golf i always said I would have taken the 280 (as it was then) instead even if it had been the same price. Not sure why but I've always had a soft spot for Seats and have always just imagined the Cupra is a little bit sharper to drive than VW equivalents.

Anyway, getting to the point. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has made the jump in the same or reverse direction. What's the general build of the Seat like in comparison (my only complaint with my Golf is a few wee interior rattles)?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I've literally just moved from a 2014 Leon FR to a new Golf GTI. I found the build quality in the SEAT quite annoying - rattles in the door cards, behind the dash. The build quality in the Golf is definitely better but it's not without the odd rattle here and there as well...

I think I am easily annoyed by rattles but I can't say I am particularly impressed with either in that department. As driver's cars they both seem excellent and I didn't have any real reliability issues with the Leon at all mechanically in 18 months of ownership.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Sounds very similar to my golf. It was solid for the first few thousand miles then suddenly the seat started rattling, then something behind the dash, the rear door... it did go in to get them sorted but came out the same so I just turn the stereo up now :)

Also on the point of sound. What do people make of the revised cupra exhaust? The golf sounds pure rubbish. Absolutely zero snap crackle and pop and generally pretty muted.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Welcome to the forum. I test drove the golf R, S3 and m135i. I went for the 290 in the end as the handling is superior, it feels more connected to the road and I feel,is the most fun and characterful. It was a close call between an m135/140i and the cupra but the cupra felt faster and far more planted, plus my last car was a 125d.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the cupra apart from maybe the 4wd traction booting it from a standstill in the wet. But good tyres sort that out. I liked the R but in comparison it did feel a bit disconnected and numb, and quite heavy compared to the cupra.

Try and get a long test drive and see what you think. On the roll the acceleration also feels stronger in the cupra than any of the above, if that's important to you. Interior is fine but I didn't buy it for luxury! Also sounds good now with the reworked exhaust.

Hope this helps:)

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
My eighteen month old Cupra doesn't rattle on the other hand my first build FR did I think they've resolved many of the earlier rattle issues that plague many new launches.

My 07 Passat however took the biscuit, again an early launch - possibly the rattlliest car in the world.

Lesson learnt don't go for a newly launched car!

Still loving the Cupra though but can't comment on the Golf R other than it'll be easy to lose in a car park :)

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
I have gone from an Audi S3 to a Cupra 280ST.

I have to say obviously the build and quality is far superior in the Audi but the price tag a huge difference. I do miss the Audi a lot but thats for personal reason's and I thought the quattro was brilliant. I have had my 280 since last dec and haven't had any problems with rattles etc. The only problem I have had is condensation inside the headlights. I went to Seat they said that was normal and wouldn't do anything about it. I was a little annoyed but I have seen the same problem on my mates 2014 Golf GTI.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Yeah, the golf also gets condensation in the headlights but never really bothered about it due to it being a lease.

Madhatter, I'm sure I remember your user name from babybmw. I had a 125d and an m135i for a while.

I popped into my local dealer to get a look round a cupra but the didn't have any in. Pretty poor show. Going to visit another dealer Wednesday possibly and hopefully get a test drive. I'll probably go dsg this time as the toffee clutch VAG saw fit to mate up with this car worries me. Loads of slipping, burnt clutches on the R forum on standard cars and VW only cover it for 6 months.... which in itself speaks volumes about their faith in its suitability.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Golf is nice but not worth the extra money over the Leon. Plus having had a MINI and going from hardly anyone having one (got mine 3 months after they came out) to every Tom, **** and Harry having a MINI I prefer to be unique on the road. When driving to work I see Golf R's all the time. Where as I have only seen 2 other Cupras on the road since getting my car, and both times it was near the SEAT dealership lol

Plus in all but 0-60 the Cupra is quicker and more fun to drive, even in estate form, not to mention prettier, Golf Estate is awful!

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
I can't disagree with that. The R estate isn't too pretty, the cupra St is definitely better looking.

Rather bizarely, the s3 is the most popular one around here. Glasgow Audi must have bulk ordered and flogged them cheap. I don't think I've ever seen a cupra out and about. Couldn't even find one at the dealer's for god sake.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I can't disagree with that. The R estate isn't too pretty, the cupra St is definitely better looking.

Rather bizarely, the s3 is the most popular one around here. Glasgow Audi must have bulk ordered and flogged them cheap. I don't think I've ever seen a cupra out and about. Couldn't even find one at the dealer's for god sake.

I'm guessing you're Glasgow based then? You might see one more Cupra on the roads in Glasgow now as I just picked up a new 290 at the weekend. An ice silver number with sub 8 pack.

I also had an m135I before. Really nice car the BMW but I'm really happy with my decision to change to the Cupra. Much more responsive.

Last edited:

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
I'll keep an eye out Optimus. I'm actually down to Ice Silver or Dynamic grey for my colour choice. Leaning towards DG as Audi Sapporo Grey was always one of my favourite colours and I figure DG is pretty close. Pistonheads best described it bluetac colour :D

I never really got on with the M135i. It was just too blunt in terms of handling and steering. Great engine but just not a great car for me. I actually Preferred my 125d as at least it had the very likeable habit of hardly ever taking a sip of fuel for the unrewarding miles it covered.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I'm guessing you're Glasgow based then? You might see one more Cupra on the roads in Glasgow now as I just picked up a new 290 at the weekend. An ice silver number with sub 8 pack.

I also had an m135I before. Really nice car the BMW but I'm really happy with my decision to change to the Cupra. Much more responsive.

Cupras have become more common place in the Glasgow area recently.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I'll keep an eye out Optimus. I'm actually down to Ice Silver or Dynamic grey for my colour choice. Leaning towards DG as Audi Sapporo Grey was always one of my favourite colours and I figure DG is pretty close. Pistonheads best described it bluetac colour :D

I never really got on with the M135i. It was just too blunt in terms of handling and steering. Great engine but just not a great car for me. I actually Preferred my 125d as at least it had the very likeable habit of hardly ever taking a sip of fuel for the unrewarding miles it covered.

I was choosing between DG and ice silver as well. I went for DG when I first ordered but phoned up to change it after a few weeks to silver. I think DG looks great in some lights but it looked too white to me when it's dull. Personal preference though.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Well that's the finance application in. We'll see how that goes. Funny how a credit check can make you nervous even when you are a responsible adult who knows they can afford it.

Not seeing any about makes it very difficult to pick a colour. I see lots of FRs about, presumably all running on the devils juice. There is one monsoon grey? cupra near me and that's all I've seen. It seems that nearly all the colours the Cupra comes in photographs very differently depending on lighting. It must be because they are all metallics or something.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Yeah, the golf also gets condensation in the headlights but never really bothered about it due to it being a lease.

Madhatter, I'm sure I remember your user name from babybmw. I had a 125d and an m135i for a while.

I popped into my local dealer to get a look round a cupra but the didn't have any in. Pretty poor show. Going to visit another dealer Wednesday possibly and hopefully get a test drive. I'll probably go dsg this time as the toffee clutch VAG saw fit to mate up with this car worries me. Loads of slipping, burnt clutches on the R forum on standard cars and VW only cover it for 6 months.... which in itself speaks volumes about their faith in its suitability.

Yes I was on babybmw site for a while. I remember you now, small world this tinternet! Shame you can't get a test drive, shows how bloody rare the Cupra is! I have seen possibly 4 in 3 years. Not heard about the clutch issue, were these on remapped cars?

Got say I liked the 125d for about 6 months and whilst fairly quick, the power delivery was so dull. I've got the cupra for 3 years and can't imagine getting bored, plus mpg average is 34 now over 6k. Only got 42 mpg outta the 125d over 60k miles. Only bmw I would consider in future is a real M car as the others just don't really feel RWD at all.

Hope you manage to find a car you get on with and if you have any other questions let us know.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Quite a few folk on the R forum have had issue with the clutch going on standard cars. A fair few cars running DTUK boxes have also gone. The ones that have went have had a fight on their hands due to the low warranty/mileage cover.

My clutch has been fine but it did put me off the idea of fitting a box. I tend to drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy as well.

I'm pretty sure seat will use the same clutch and I'm almost certain I read a thread here about people experiencing slip. It might be that the fwd configuration alters the situation.

Regarding the 125d, I was bitterly disappointed with the performance of mine at first. However, it was much quicker than it felt and I fitted a blue spark box which helped. It's a car I never miss but do still acknowledge it's talents of once chasing down a bug eye wrx while still delivering 50mpg (that's what I managed to average over 20k miles).

Sounds like the cupra is a little more economical than the golf. I'm averaging 27mpg in that. It's just as well I don't do a high enough mileage to care.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Finance approved, admin paid and order signed for - Seat Leon Cupra 2.0 TSi 290 Black Edition - 5dr - DSG - Blue tac paint.

Delivery no earlier than December requested as the Golf goes back end of March. Returning 3 months early means I pay 1.5 months payment for early termination but save myself another 1.5 months payments and the cost of the second service. So using my best man maths it looks like I've saved some money by buying a new car :)

The wife will be pleased.... now to tell her.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Man maths at its best, good news and best of luck breaking it to the Wife ( always the toughest part of negotiations in my experience):wtf:

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Had my ST cupra for almost a year now and still never seen another one on the road. Seen several Golf R estates recently even though they were available later.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise