Fuel flap stuck shut

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Hi all,

Went to fill up earlier (luckily not on the red) and found that my fuel flap wouldn't open. Tried fully locking and unlocking in hope that it may pop open, to no avail.

Is there a manual release lever/procedure at all? I can't hear it locking/unlocking at all (if it actually does make a noise that is) so I'm wondering if the mechanism has failed, or if a fuse has gone (if separate to the RCL?).

Sod's law I was at the Dealer's Monday and am back at work tomorrow. Can't even get it open to spray it.

Any advice would be appreciated before I contact Seat Assist.

Cheers

Karl

Boj27

Dec 15, 2015
London
Had a polo do this. Albeit it was a 52 plate car. Found out the mechanism had failed, had to break it open through by getting to it through the trim on the right hand side in the boot. Tried to get to it from under the wheel arch liner at the back wheel but no luck. If you have warranty, it's a dealer visit. My mechanism had failed.

Dudders07

Nov 5, 2013
I've had this issue twice now. Second time was on Saturday. Like you tried locking and unlocking several times with no effect. Then with gentle tapping around the flap area released the solenoid and the flap could be opened. Since Saturday tried the flap several times and have not been able replicate the fault.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Thanks for the responses.

I went out again earlier to try and see if it would open and miraculously on the ~15th attempt, it popped open. I left the flap open and pushed the spring back in - lock/unlock - pop. Pushed it in again, now it is stuck "closed" again, however I've managed to fuel up and have duct-taped the flap closed for now.

I can actually hear the solenoid trying to action when the RCL is pressed (lock or unlock) so I'm wondering if/hoping it is a sticky latch - WD40 out at lunch time tomorrow. If not, I'll speak to the dealer.

Booked in for August 2nd for other stuff (condensed rear clusters, rubbing noise on partial/full Right Lock, occasional DSG) but this may need looking at before then!

Cheers

Karl

MattFR

Jun 6, 2016
This is almost certainly the solenoid failing , I have had mine replaced under warranty, my local dealer have had so many of these come through they keep the part in stock.

Matt

Dudders07

Nov 5, 2013
Been trying mine everyday since it last failed on Saturday and this morning it failed to open.
I agree with Matt that it's most probably the solenoid. All booked into be repaired Monday.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Thanks guys. The WD40 seemed to get it to work yesterday, until I tried it again this morning, nothing.

Luckily the tank is full so I'll call Snows on Monday!

Good to hear they seem to resolve the issue.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Not sure if its exactly the same flap as on an ST but mine was a sod to open to start with until I realised it works every time if you press the flap where the actual lock is (I think it bent the flap rather than activated the lock) - just below the swage line on mine.

If you are pressing it in the right place, then I'm talking hatstand and it's plain faulty..

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset
Had the same issue on my MK7 Golf, so noise or anything, just failed to open. VW replaced the solenoid under warranty.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Not sure if its exactly the same flap as on an ST but mine was a sod to open to start with until I realised it works every time if you press the flap where the actual lock is (I think it bent the flap rather than activated the lock) - just below the swage line on mine.

If you are pressing it in the right place, then I'm talking hatstand and it's plain faulty..

I pressed every square centimeter of it the other day, fairly certain it's buggered. When it did open and before I WD40'd it, with the flap open the lock didn't spring open when pressed so I'm quite convinced.

Just glad it happened now as the Warranty is up in September!

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Sorry to come back so late on this one!

The dealer diagnosed a failed Solenoid and replaced - it now locks and unlocks with an audible clunk!

They also replaced the condensated rear light clusters and greased the front drive shaft gaiters which was the cause of the rubbing sound on lock.

Also tried two sell me to new front tyres at £114 each... :D

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Anyone noticed a squeaky noise when their fuel flap is unlocking?

Is that a sign the solenoid is starting to go?

May 31, 2019
Hi Guys. My 2013 Leon fuel release had been playing up for a while but completely jammed shut this week. On these vehicles there is NO emergency release rather stupid of VW to not build one in I think. The actuators on The VW range do seem suspect and prone to failure. Having protected the paintwork with masking tape I was able to carefully prize next to the actuator/lock cracking the keep on the back of the flap so allowing it to be opened.
I then cut the locking lugs off the actuator so I could open and close the flap manually.
New genuine VW solenoid/actuators are available new on line for as low as 35 pounds and I have now purchased and fitted one with no problem. The flaps are held in by one torque screw and 4 plastic lugs and the actuator just slots in place. It took about 10 mins to fit.

Hi People, this is the way I replaced the Actuator 7P0810773F and found it quite easy,
Remove Torx screw, Run a Feeler Gauge between rubber of flap unit and body work so you can get the trim removal tools in easier and less chance of damage, Prise off at the bottom corners using two trim removal tools ( close the flap-door a bit so the hinge does not restrict unit removal) once done the top will pop out, the whole unit can come out,Replace and slot in new Actuator, be careful when refitting unit that the drain tube routes low not stuffed back in a loop (like I did) or the water wont drain away.
I found the local dealers were cheaper than ebay

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
"I found the local dealers were cheaper than ebay" - I have always found that to be the case with genuine parts, unless you deal with online VW Group dealers parts departments.