2008 xenon bulb type?? DS1? Gone pink!

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire

vINyL3

Sep 13, 2013
If it's a pre-lifted with only xenon, not bi-xenon it's D1S.
I got in mine Philips Blue vision. It's really white.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
If it's a pre-lifted with only xenon, not bi-xenon it's D1S.
I got in mine Philips Blue vision. It's really white.

Its a 57 reg pre faclift with bi-xenons. I'll check the bulbs before i order but most places say D1S for my car.

Im looking at these now.. http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/D1S-OSRAM-Cool-Blue-Intense-Xenarc-35W-5000K-Xenon-HID-Bulb.html

Alot of the ebay ones look like fakes after looking into it more and contacting sellers that wont give straight answer.

vINyL3

Sep 13, 2013
yes, i buy some and all are fake, until i other some expensive pack, around 180€. it was complete diferent from others that i buy before.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I ended up going with these - http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/D1...nlimited-Xenarc-35W-4300K-Xenon-HID-Bulb.html

They get good reviews and I've used night-breaker halogen bulbs in other cars with good results.

I took the bulb out the car on Saturday to check it was D1S, and there's a brown scorch mark on the middle of the bulb. Take it that means its burnt out and failing.

They're even better than the ones I went for to be honest, it's just the price at the time meant paying £300 vs £70. Got yourself a bargain if you only paid £55 each

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
They're even better than the ones I went for to be honest, it's just the price at the time meant paying £300 vs £70. Got yourself a bargain if you only paid £55 each

Yeah, £55 each and also found a 5% discount code. Free delivery too!! :D

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I do miss the lights on the last Leon with those bulbs. The LEDs on full beam are better, but the cornering function on the dipped with the upgraded bulbs was far better than the dipped LEDs.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I'm now thinking the passenger light looks duller in the reflection on the back of cars. To look at the bulbs, they both look bright and white and same colour. Just when I see reflection the drivers looks brighter.

Could it be the offset of the lamps? Ballast failure?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Nothing wrong with the lamps, it's purely due to the throw of the beam relative to where you are sat.

To be 100% sure put the car up against a flat service and put your lights on, you'll see that they will be of equal brightness.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I'll need to try them tonight once its dark. I tried it against the side of a car in the car park when I got to work. :lol:

Can see the bulbs getting brighter when I put the main beam on and the shutter moves. Its just the reflection doesn't look as bright.

I thought if the ballast fails it either flickers, or wont work at all?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If your talking from the driving seat point of view, you are viewing the reflection of the lense near enough head on for the drivers side, so it will look brighter. Where as the reflection of the passenger side is at an angle so will look dimmer.

Get it against a flat surface at night and look at the light on the surface not the reflection of the lenses. If the light on the surface matchs you're golden.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Ok, so I checked last night. Could only check how they shine in front of the car. The passenger light has a bright area in front of the car. The self test still works, so thinking it might be set to low.

Can understand how changing the bulb would cause this. The bulbs were in nice as tight as before. the headlight seems tight, so how could it move.

Going to check the headlight level on an MOT headlight level tester I have access to.

If its low, I'll check the bulb is secure and nothing has moved over the weekend.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members