Why does coil pack number 1 keep failing ???

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
I own a seat Leon cupra 2.0 tfsi, about 5 weeks ago cylinder one failed. 5 weeks down the line cylinder 1 has failed three times. Every time it's cylinder 1 that fails and the car only misfires on idle and low revs. Higher in the rev range there's no misfire. Someone help ???

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
If you have replaced the coil pack and the fault remains, the problem is nothing to do with the coil pack.

I have the same issue and I've traced the fault to a bad injector.

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
Yeah mate I've replaced it three times changed them around and each time it's still cylinder one that fails.

So what do you think I should do next, cars currently sitting outside with engine light on :(, and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking.

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
I'd have someone with vcds run a check. I'm in the process of ordering parts as I'll be replacing the injector myself while carrying out an inlet valve decoke. I just went with a process of trial and error. Swapped coil packs (1-4) and misfire stayed on cylinder 4. Did the same with spark plugs, misfire stayed on 4. Next step is the injector. May as well change it seeing as I'm taking the manifold off anyway.

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
I did have that check done and even when there was no engine management light present it was showing cylinder 1 was still failing. Had a compression test find and it was 10psi down.

They said the outcome they need to do further investigation e.g take cylinder head off check valves.

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
I'd have someone with vcds run a check. I'm in the process of ordering parts as I'll be replacing the injector myself while carrying out an inlet valve decoke. I just went with a process of trial and error. Swapped coil packs (1-4) and misfire stayed on cylinder 4. Did the same with spark plugs, misfire stayed on 4. Next step is the injector. May as well change it seeing as I'm taking the manifold off anyway.

Have you tried changing all 4 coil packs as well?

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
No need to. They are working fine. If the issue was with number 4 coil pack, the misfire would have moved to number 1 when I swapped 1 and 4 over. At the very least it would have stopped the misfire or given 2 misfires but the problem remained on #4 cylinder despite coil and plug swaps. This shows that there's no issues with my coils.

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
Yeah that's what I thought because someone said change all 4 but I've moved them around and coil pack 1 still goes.

When are you changing the injector?, wish I had the skills like you to do it save myself £500 ??

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
I'll be doing it in about 3 weeks time. I work offshore so I'll tackle it when I'm home again. I'll take plenty of pictures and post up after I've done it all.

Kaivaksdal

Jul 6, 2016
Don't know if this is relevant but I had the same problem and found it to be the standard airbox was letting water drip down into the coil pack of cylinder 1. It was full of water and the coil pack failed....
Check for dampness / water down there just in case.
Kai

adrianofrcarlos

Jul 18, 2012
wolvez
Don't know if this is relevant but I had the same problem and found it to be the standard airbox was letting water drip down into the coil pack of cylinder 1. It was full of water and the coil pack failed....

Check for dampness / water down there just in case.

Kai

Hello mate, I went through 2 coil packs in 4 weeks. Each time there was water in there tbf, then the last time it happened they also found water and in 1 months coil and spark plugs were eroded, I thought it could be my injectors but the place where I bought it from have stripped down the engine so I'm waiting until tomorrow to find out. If it was something so simple as what you experienced I will be very angry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise