Wider tyre fitment?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
I have these alloys with 215/40/17 tyres and I'm wondering if I was to put 225/40/17 would they still fit? I'm asking because the current tyres sit flush with the alloy giving almost no protection if you get what I mean?
ab9f9ae749077edf0c79fc3b7ccdebf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
I don't know the answer to your question - but there are other possible solutions.

Tyre manufacturers design some (many) tyre with rim protectors - see https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/tyre-with-rim-protection

if you google around you will be able to find the tyres with the biggest ones. Or you can fit stick on ones as the internet page above suggests.

Another solution is the latest Pirelli Pzeros (called "new" in the UK and PZ4 in the States) which have a wider footprint and bulging sidewalls which stick out much further from the rim than other tyres I have seen (much more so than their predecessors.) I know from talking to Pirelli this "wider footprint" is a design feature. I have a set on my other car and have to say they look much more likely to protect the rim than rim protectors - but I haven't done any tests to find out!

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
I looked at they rim protectors I just think they look a bit cheap in my opinion! I might have a look at the Pirelli, only problem is they are rather expensive haha!
Cheers for the help though.

bannon

May 22, 2016
It is only a 10 mm difference in width so should still fit. However adjusting the width can affect the speed reading as you are also adjustung the height of the tyre so they won't look as low profile.

The difference in speed ready however will be minimal. If you search on google for "will they fit" there is a website you can type in the tyre sizes and it will give you the change in speed and height

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
wait so you want wider tyres to save the rim from kerbs?

pro tip, dont kerb them.

and 225 will be wider than standard tyres and ona 7.5inch rim u dont want much wider than 215, as it will feel horrid to drive on with the tyre rolling around alot.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
wait so you want wider tyres to save the rim from kerbs?

pro tip, dont kerb them.

and 225 will be wider than standard tyres and ona 7.5inch rim u dont want much wider than 215, as it will feel horrid to drive on with the tyre rolling around alot.

Not planning on kerbing them haha! Just like the look of the tyre over the alloy a little.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
If you look here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Auto-Review-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm it gives the sizes of kerb (rim) protector on a variety of (as it happens) 225/40 R17 tyres which might be of help. Given that the biggest are 8mm - you might get more protection by choosing a particular tyre brand rather than going to a larger section tyre.

It's 3 years old so may not be fully up to date.

Will have a look at the mate cheers! My step dads BMW has contis that come over the alloys and it looks so much better than mine

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
i've got the same wheels with the standard 215's.

The Michelin PS3's 'look' to offer better protection than the other tyres I've had fitted.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Will have a look at the mate cheers! My step dads BMW has contis that come over the alloys and it looks so much better than mine

OH you want it to look closer to edge of rim! i get ya!

11417132_10153336571790853_1894409162_o.jpg

215 on a 7,5J

Yokohama Parada Spec 2.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.