short shifter

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Yeah seen the forge ones but I like Making bits myself where I can. Will have a dig round on here. It's like my old 323i I had. Everyone buys a converted 325i inlet to get more power. I built my own and it worked just as well so I looked at the forge short shifter and the cogs started turning. Got an idea how it works so we shall see

Hb69

Jul 16, 2011
Kent
Pretty sure there was a guide on here, just drill one of the holes in a slightly different place to shorten the throw. I went for a compbrake one, there's cheaper ones on eBay, or forge is more expensive

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Found the front to back o e for £20 on the bay so will likely busy buy that one. Just need to look out for the side to side. Cheers for the info though.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
An_Adjustable_Quick_Shifter_for_VAG_6_Speed_Models_80309.jpeg

Forge Short Shifter is a cast copy of the original, with an adjustable hole for the pin. With pin set in the middle, it shortens the throw from cca 6 in (15 cm) to cca 4 in or a bit more (10-11 cm).

Anyone with decent DIY skill can take the stock shifter, drill a hole about 1 in towards the center and screw the pin back in.

+ Shorter shifter movement;
- Heavier shifting, notchy feel.

As the car ages, shifter movement may become even heavier in 1st and 2nd gears at start, as both synchros in the gearbox and (riveted) fork for 1st-2nd gears become "sloppy".

There is a counterweight on the shifter, at the opposite end from where the cable attaches. Some aftermarket short shifters lack it. This is a necessity, not a luxury, as the car ages, it makes the shifting movement much smoother. The bigger the counterweight, the better.

In fact, if you attach some self-adhesive lead weights (those made for wheel balancing) to the counterweight end, carefully to not interfere with shifter movement in each gear, the quick-shifting movement becomes much smoother and easier. It takes at least 100g (0.22lbs), but towards 150g (0.33lbs) is better.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
As above, follow the Forge website on how to set the gearbox before you remove the shifter then drill a through hole or tap a threaded hole - IIRC about 22mm in from the end - and refit. Secure the cable with bolt and 'nyloc' nut.
The Forge write-up explains how to reset the linkage
Job done :D

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Cheers for the responses guys. Some good info there. An see how it all works just need the time to do it now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.