Cupra 280 Revo stage 1 clutch problems

Leonmb

Dec 29, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I lost pressure in my clutch and it smelt like burning, the pressure then came back and it drove fine. Then this morning I went to overtake and when up at 5000rpm the revs shot right up and smelt like burning again. Has anyone had this problem? Is the clutch on its way out?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Clutch slipping, Stage 1 shouldn't cause this, I would suggest an alteration of driving style is needed.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Is it a manual? Loads of people on the golf R forum have had their clutches go even while running unmodified. It seems the clutch in the manual just isn't up to the job. Noted by the warranty only being 6 months or 6k miles, whichever comes first.

Leonmb

Dec 29, 2013
Is it a manual? Loads of people on the golf R forum have had their clutches go even while running unmodified. It seems the clutch in the manual just isn't up to the job. Noted by the warranty only being 6 months or 6k miles, whichever comes first.

Yeah it is a manual, only covered 8000 miles! It's only happened twice do you think it's worth getting looked at?

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Seat replaced my clutch and flywheel under warranty at 18 months old and 9,000 miles.
However doubt this would get warranty with it being remapped

Last edited:

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
It will definitely need looked at if it persists Leonmb. If you don't it will be new gearbox time.

Seat may well be different from VW with their clutch warranty although I did read a few people had success arguing that the clutch should last longer resulting in VW replacing as good will.

This post on the Golf forum explains the infamous TD1 code and what a dealer sees when they plug your car in. The legal info on the post is irrelevant as it's American but all the other info is the same. Basically dealers don't have to look for a remap, the info pops up without being looked for.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

Last edited:

Leonmb

Dec 29, 2013
Not sure if to get it replaced by Seat or get a uprated one? Does anyone know if there are upgraded clutches out for the Cupra 280 yet?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Bit of a different situation but I had my 2.0tdi remapped and then as boost came on it was slipping. When we replaced the clutch the actual clutch plate was fine but the flywheel has to much plate and we put it down to this! Maybe not the clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise