Selling Leon Cupra R as Spares or Repair Value

kujo

Sep 21, 2014
Southampton
Hey all.

So my gearbox completely died and the cost of a refurbished gearbox, clutch and dmf is not worth the price vs the car value. The headache is I was about to sell it as I have inherited another car.

I've decided the best option is to sell it for spares or repair. Before I go down the route of breaking it (which I don't really want to do because of lack of time to take parts off) I was wondering what kind of value I should try to get for it.

Here's some details:

55 Plate (09/2005)
MOT: Expires September 2016

Mileage: 126K Miles (mostly motorway miles since I've owned it for commuting).

225bhp BAM 1.8 20v Turbo
18" Alloy Wheels

Custom Double Din Radio (USB, Bluetooth and Hands Free)

Some service history.
Had Cam Belt and Water Pump replaced, two years ago, when I bought it.
Recently had 4 new coil packs
New Front Splitter fitted
New MAF Sensor

Few marks on body work and scuffs on alloys

Needs new gearbox, clutch and maf

How much as spares or repair?

Thanks

Kev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunter6

Dec 29, 2010
Coatbridge
Surely getting a 2nd hand box out of a breaker and fitting it then being able to sell it as a running car is bound to be better than trying to sell spares or repairs. honestly spares or repairs cars are pretty worthless.

I'd guess at £1500 absolute max, probably £1000, bung a box in it for £500 quid and you could probably get £2500 if its bodily tidy.

I may be totally off with my valuations for the spares or repair but i dont think so.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
You don't get much for cars needing work. You'd probably only get £750

You could fix everything for £800 or £900 and sell for £3k

Last edited:

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Ah man that's a real shame!

Sadly, unless you are selling to someone who knows the car and that the faults you list are the only ones, it will be a MASSIVE gamble for anyone to buy it...

For that reason it's really not going to push more than £800 I wouldn't have thought, can you not keep hold of it for a while and get some reconditioned parts to get it running again?

Why don't you sell the double din set up to help raise cash for repairs?

Last edited:

kujo

Sep 21, 2014
Southampton
So garage have said its going to be around £1000 plus the cost of a second hand gearbox. So guessing around £1300. Mainly down to the fact of having to replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel as they are knackered as well.

I think to sell it I'd have to put an mot on it as well. So say in totally it would owe me £1500 for repair and mot. By the time I try to sell it and maybe get between £2500 - £3000 for it. I'll pocket anywhere between £1000 to £1500.

Now my thoughts are trying to sell it for spares or repair for £1500 and if I have no luck break it for parts and gamble I'll make more money out of the parts.

Has anyone got any experience of breaking a Leon for parts?

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
You'll sell most things in the LCR if you break it, interior, engine, bumpers and wheels will go pretty quickly... you'll be left with the rest though as it isn;t really much different from the standard Cupra.

Do you have the Leon Recaro interior as they are rare and will sell for allot.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
£1000+ is a joke!

Full clutch kit is around £300-350
A second hand box will be a few hundred.

No way on earth they can justify the rest as labour!? That's daylight robbery!!

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
I can't really say much more then what everyone else has said other than as clarification.

Breaking a car that needs that much work will only be sold to somebody who will dismantle it, therefore looking for the cheapest possible price to make the biggest margin.

I doubt you'll get anything more than £800 for it as it stands and even that sounds like a long shot I'm afraid.

The only parts of any real value are the parts exclusive to the Cupra R and should get sold within a few weeks and should get you at the very least £1000, the rest will take a while as there are plenty of Cupra parts dotted around eBay and the likes.

A clutch kit will set you back about £200-£300, second hand gearbox about £300. That's the major work done and any garage charging you £400 labour for that should be ignored...

Anyway, repairing the car with the parts to sell it as a running rather than spare or repairs will probably see you over £1000-£1500 better off rather than selling broken.

Fix and sell I'd say.

kujo

Sep 21, 2014
Southampton
Thanks for all the comments. Think I'll get the car home from the garage and see if I can get some other quotes to fix and then make a decision.

kujo

Sep 21, 2014
Southampton
Just been looking at parts prices on eurocarparts. So I need a clutch and dual mass fly wheel. From what I can work out that means buying a clutch kit £170 and dmf £300. Second hand gearbox £300. So £770. What do people think the labour charge should be?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Speaking from experience, they don't break like they used to.
Realistically if your feeling strong a gearbox swap can be done on the floor although its not the nicest.
Do factor in the price of a new slave cylinder though too as it bolts inside the bell housing so if it goes it has to come out again.
My dmf is rattling its ass off (yet again, its not the first one ive been through) and currently the gearbox im using has a very whiney diff turning one way so probably not long left for this world.
second hand 02m 2wd boxes are very common now now so can expect to be 100-150 for a good one
However if you do want to sell as is, I may take it off your hands

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members