Newbie with some questions.

CupraMark

Jul 1, 2016
Hi folks,
Just picked up my MK1 Cupra R a couple of days ago and have a couple of questions.
It has a cone filter fitted which gives a whoosh noise when I come off the throttle, my wife hates it and i'm not it's biggest fan. How easy is it to replace it with a standard airbox and panel filter?

I'd quite like to make the engine bay look a bit better with some silicon hoses. I'm not the best with mechanical stuff so they'd need to be easy ones to replace. Where is best to get them?

Hope yous can help.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Hi folks,
Just picked up my MK1 Cupra R a couple of days ago and have a couple of questions.
It has a cone filter fitted which gives a whoosh noise when I come off the throttle, my wife hates it and i'm not it's biggest fan. How easy is it to replace it with a standard airbox and panel filter?

I'd quite like to make the engine bay look a bit better with some silicon hoses. I'm not the best with mechanical stuff so they'd need to be easy ones to replace. Where is best to get them?

Hope yous can help.

That noise is probably the dump valve, having a cone filter would make it more prominent, if you can get some pics up on the engine bay it would be helpful, although you'll have to wait until the have the post count.

Do you have a none standard dump valve which could be dumping to atmosphere rather than recirculating?
Have you checked to see if the dump valve is attached and not leaking?

Fitting a standard box is easy as long as none of the mounting points have been damaged, which they shouldn't have been.
Hopefully the MAF and associated hoses are still there to allow you to fit one.

Loads of places to get hose kits, have a look at DPM, Badger5, AMD Essex etc etc.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
When I fitter a cone filter and uprated tip to my LCR it make the dump valve much more noisy. I quite like the noise! I was surprised as it's still got a recirculating dump valve not a proper old school dump valve.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Mines just running standard airbox and TIP, with a few holes drilled and a K&N filter.

With the standard DV it's still pretty load when it dumps.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.