Mo's Mk3 Ibiza Cupra OE+ Forged & K04'd Build - 284.0bhp & 324.5ft lbs @ 1.5bar

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
The K04 oil return line was a bit of an issue, the engine mount on the mk3 Ibiza fouls the route. I've seen some people cut the engine mount itself in order for it to pass through and other conversions i've seen the pipe cut and rejoined with a silicon joiner or hose that's not for me.

I measured the angles required and rewelded the oil return pipe

Tidied up with some high temp gloss spray

Couldn't have been happier with how it turned out

Not the easiest of jobs but happy with the appearance, clearance and fitment

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Coming together nicely!

Thanks lad

Quickest build ever ha ha. Why didn't you put a upgraded tip on?

Good question, it's not possible to fit an oversized tip on a mk3 ibiza as the abs pump and lines foul it. I could easily fit a replacement stock sized silicon tip but it would be of no performance benefit other than aesthetics. I've heard you can squeeze a larger tip on by kinking it or bending the lines this is something I do not want to do. I'm going to remove the abs pump and bracket and create a bracket to move it around 10mm towards the passenger side in order to git an oversized or 3" tip.

This is how tight it is around there:

That silicon is the size of the K04's inlet and just about clears those lines.

Last edited:

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Wow that is tight hence why I'm going k300 and not ko4 hybrid

I was contemplating a K280/K300 but I wanted to do something a little different than your usual bodged K04 conversions and with the potential for higher gains in the future especially now that we have some amazing development for hybrid K04's.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Now that the engines out the way, it's time get the rest of the essentials on. Packages started to come in fast

Toyosports Type B Cooler, the famous 600x400x76mm core.

Some gauges and a volt reader

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Intercooler being somewhat of a speciality of mine having done so many for all sorts of different cars, I started to prep the front end knowing how tight the space is in a mk3.

Drilled the spot welds out from the crash bar, measured and cut down for piping.

The same for the crash bar

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Slam panel cut, painted and back on. Time for more custom work, Intercooler mount made now for measuring to ensure it sits just right.

Created some custom brackets to move the radiator back

Cooler positioned to be centre to the bumpers front grill

Welded in some more support for the intercooler mount

Ever seen a Type B cooler behind a mk3 bumper with around half an inch to spare without it being hacked?

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Pipework begins with some more custom work. MAP sensor flange welded along with a few other crucial bends

The best possible route, no fouling anywhere

Intercooler beast mode engaged

Crash bar back on

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I dont think that cooler is too great Alex at aks was telling me that if you get the toyosports cooler you should get the bar and plate cooler and not the tube and fin cooler which is what you have.

Bar and plate coolers were out of stock at the time, i held out for around 3 weeks before giving up and buying this. The way i've done my cooler setup it's pretty easy to change over, if I do i'm going for a 4" bar and plate core as I have plenty of space now.

The cooler itself ain't bad, a little more heat soak than the bar and plate variant but not enough for alarm bells to ring. The large surface area compensates well, certainly better than what was on there before.

Last edited:

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Next up is the bumper, bought some good quality ABS plastic honeycomb and started to measure up. A serious amount of time went in to doing this right

Plasti welded up to perfection

Trial fit bumper

Last edited:

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I had that cooler and it worked perfectly tbf :)

K04 is the best turbo for these! Loved mine wish I still had it :(

I agree mate, the way a K04 delivers power coupled with the mk3 weight advantages is absolutely insane. Your Ibiza build was spot on. The quality of work you did on that is something I can appreciate and is the level I work at myself.

Again agreed this cooler does work very well but I guess everyone will have their own opinion and preference regarding desired modifications. Having owned many 1.8T's and doing countless custom intercoolers the differences are too vague to mention.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Next up, the fuel pump. For the time being i'm happy to fit a good working Leon Cupra R fuel pump so let's begin.

Left is the Ibiza Cupra's fuel pump and float and on the right the Leon Cupra R's fuel pump.

The best way to do this is to change the spring loaded part of the float over, keeping the bottom half of the LCR fuel pump intact

Even if you mange to remove the OE fuel hoses without damaging them replace those fuel hoses with this high quality hose designed for fuel.

Hoses cut to length so they don't interfere when re-fitting the pump, nicely done

Keeping kinks to a minimum

The best it can be without using excess outwardly hanging hoses

Tricky job to re-fit, a tip is to use cable ties to hold the lines in position out of the way

Everything secure, looking OE

Done

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.