Tyre recommendations for Cupra?

SammNightt

Jul 19, 2016
Hi All,

Bought my Cupra a few months ago and the previous owner had very cheap and nasty tires fitted, rubbish and noisy and all sorts... Meaning I'm currently looking into buying a new set. Can anyone recommend a decent set of tires for a budget of around £200-£250?

Also would like to add that I'm not looking to change the size so the original 215/40/r17 is preferred!

Thanks in advance

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
The obvious choice of a decent tyre in the lower end of the price range is Uniroyal Rainsport 3.
Said to be great in the wet,decent in the dry,fairly soft compound so not the longest lasting.
The top premium tyres in that size will be around £100 each.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
I have Falkens on my FR and they are pretty good! My Ibiza is remapped aswell so running more power and torque than a standard cupra and they are good in the dry, but dodgy in the wet though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SammNightt

Jul 19, 2016
Thanks guys, I'll have a good look around, rainsports seem like a decent choice, I've been recommended them before!

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Sam, did you buy your cupra from welshpool? I sold mine in april. I think you have mine haha. The front tyres i put on were cheap as I knew I was selling it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks guys, I'll have a good look around, rainsports seem like a decent choice, I've been recommended them before!

riansports are incredibly soft compound tyre.

personal choice is Yoko Spec2.

but ill be going Yokohama AD08R next, bit pricey but worth it for the levels of grip

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Rainsports or toyos around the £250-300 mark fully fitted... both are pretty soft compound so won't last that long with spirited driving.

As others said you'll be looking at £100/corner for anything else decent.

I've used nexen on my old daily hacks and the missus old mini they are actually pretty good for budget tyre also.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Rainsports or toyos around the £250-300 mark fully fitted... both are pretty soft compound so won't last that long with spirited driving.

As others said you'll be looking at £100/corner for anything else decent.

I've used nexen on my old daily hacks and the missus old mini they are actually pretty good for budget tyre also.

my yokos have lasted 18000 currently lol the fronts are well and truely dead but the backs are fine.

SammNightt

Jul 19, 2016
Thanks all! Think I'm gonna look towards Yoko spec 2s and see what's good, looks like there's a few places selling at around £70 a tire but feels like it's worth it!

MantaOwner

Nov 28, 2015
Tallinn, Estonia
Has anyone used 205/45 R17 winter tires on a Cupra, did you have any problems with rubbing? What about 215/45 R17? I need to buy new winter tires soon and the selection of tires is bigger than just sticking to the 215/40 R17 OEM size.

Tõnu

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Has anyone used 205/45 R17 winter tires on a Cupra, did you have any problems with rubbing? What about 215/45 R17? I need to buy new winter tires soon and the selection of tires is bigger than just sticking to the 215/40 R17 OEM size.

Tõnu

stock height u can go 45s lowered on coils i wouldnt.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
On my other car mk 4 1.9 TDI sport . I have kumho tyres.
Need to place front tyres on mk 5 1.2 tsi.
Looking for any comments or which tyres to buy for mk 5.

Thanks
Andy

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise