Tyres or discs or what??? - SOLVED

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hi guys,

I have been having a progressively worsening "rumble" that starts at around 20mph and up.

when i turn the wheel (left or right, it doesn't matter) the noise and feel gets worse.

It feels like a rumble which initially made me think wheel bearing but they all seem fine, no noise or movement in any of the wheels.

From it giving me a worsening sound while turning and also it getting worse over the last few weeks i have been thinking it has to either be my front discs/pads or tyres.

I am leaning towards tyres being misshaped as they were budgets i had to chuck on as an emergency back a few months ago.

I have had them balanced a while back to see if that helped and it did sort of but since then it has gotten worse. I have also had my tracking done which was needed.

Could having my tracking out for however long and running crap cheap rubber give those symptoms possible due to uneven wear or bulging (nothing obvious).

Or is it my discs? These were changed back at the start of the year.

Any help?

EDIT to save you guys reading my moaning....
It was a wheel bearing. so £360 down and a rumble free cupra for now haha....

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Cheap tyres can make an awful racket, especially if badly worn so I would be inclined to replace these. What are they by the way?

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
They are Three-A P603's

I have to say... they are terrible.... i can't corner for ****.

They squeal like a pig going about 20mph into the local tesco and the looks i get you would swear im smashing it around... I need GRIP.

On a good note i have just ordered some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. £113 a corner but thought id treat the cupra to something nice haha.

Fingers crossed it will solve the problem. I will update the thread saturday when they get fitted.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Awesome tyres, had PS4s and PSSs on my FR before it went, they were fantastic tyres and worth every penny.

PS4 also just won auto express group test too.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I had some Hankook ventus v12 evo2 on it last year, they didnt last very long but were amazing.

These are the next step up so can't wait.

reading the auto express review actually swayed my decision from the Eagle f1 as3 to the PS4.

Hopefully it will solve my problem and give me some fun haha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Awesome tyres, had PS4s and PSSs on my FR before it went, they were fantastic tyres and worth every penny.

PS4 also just won auto express group test too.

Good to hear. Just had new PS4s on the rear, love em... just waiting for the PS3s on the front to wear another mm and they are off for some new 4s as well.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
They are Three-A P603's

I have to say... they are terrible.... i can't corner for ****.

They squeal like a pig going about 20mph into the local tesco and the looks i get you would swear im smashing it around... I need GRIP.

On a good note i have just ordered some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. £113 a corner but thought id treat the cupra to something nice haha.

Fingers crossed it will solve the problem. I will update the thread saturday when they get fitted.

Budget tyres on a 240+ bhp car :cartman:

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Budget tyres on a 240+ bhp car :cartman:

I know, shame on me!

I have learned from my mistake and it will not happen again. I promise lol.

On another note....The bloody noise and feel has not gone. I can feel it by my feet...

Much worse when i turn right. and almost not there when turning left.

I am starting to think its brakes but could it be something else?

There is no play in the wheel when its jacked up.

Its driving me mad!

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I was thinking that but isnt there almost always a clicking sound when turning?

It could be worth me changing it for peace of mind anyway. At least that will rule it out i guess.

And as far as i know i dont think they are that expensive to buy.

Other than CV joint or brakes i dont have a clue

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Little update for anyone having the same issue or similar.

Seems like it could be a driveshaft issue.

There is a tiny bit of movement wheel end of the driveshaft.

Im going to get one ordered from Dave @ Sere and see if that fixes it.

If not then i havent got a clue what the issue is.

Molvi

Nov 1, 2015
Walsall
I've got a similar clicking sound when I'm turning right. I know its not the CV boot or the bearings.

Let us know what happens after the driveshaft is changed.

Thanks

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I had a price of £230 for the shaft.

I will buy it and get it fitted. Fingers crossed that will solve the issue.

Its an expensive-ish buy if it doesnt fix it but glorious silence if it does haha.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hey guys.

Got my driveshaft fitted today.

Sadly not fixed...

What ever it is i can feel it though the shaft... is it my gearbox?

the old shaft that came out had some play in it compared to the new one which was fine.

The noise has changed. There is a still a "wub wub wub" type of sound but instead of it being worse when turning right i can feel it when the wheel is straight.

wheel bearings are fine and nothing fouling on the discs...

I need help with this!

Molvi

Nov 1, 2015
Walsall
Ok. I just got told by my local garage that it's my DMF that's playing up which is a common fault. That's been making the noise and juddering.

I have 2.0 TDI

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hmm... No juddering for me though. Power is good and smooth.

I got my dad in as a passenger today and he said he could feel something coming from the passenger front.

My mate (who doesnt drive) said he couldnt feel anything but doesnt really know what to look for.

I am wondering if the short driveshaft on the passenger side has play making it pull through both.

I have it booked in the garage this week and hopefully they will be able to tell me what it is.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Going in tomorow morning to hopefully find the problem.

I am hoping something cheap-ish not the box or diff.

Will keep you guys updated in case any of you have the same issue.

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
I,d say tyres and if want a decent set try black circles just got 2 avon 225/40/18 fitted and balanced for 144 pounds all in and a rated wet weather c rated for fuel economy ....

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Not tyres.

I had some Pilot sport 4's at £113 each and didnt solve the issue.

My drive shaft was replace and that definitely changes the problem.

Finally solved it... There was tiny bit of play in the wheel bearing, had to go on a ramp and drive it on there.

Got that changed and problem solved. I now have a rumble free cupra until the passenger side goes.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Glad you sorted it. One of my wheel bearings has been making a noise for well over a year, only thing is I can't figure out which one it is.

There's no play in any of the wheels and I'm reluctant to just change one in case its not the one with the issue.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members