154MPH on A11 in a Cupra

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
even on a motorway it's stupidly dangerous...on the A11?
people pulling out to pass tractors etc...?
can't believe he escaped prison, let alone the meagre fine and 56 day ban.
Magistrates must be as stupid as the driver for not referring case to Crown Court.
Still - that's East Anglia for you.
Bless their little webbed fingers and toes. Six on each extremity....

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
LOL at all you armchair warriors wittering on he should go to jail! You don't go to jail for speeding, no matter how fast. :rofl:

I agree that the sentence seems lenient, but we do not know why that was handed down. In the original article it states he has a disabled mum - they may have gone easy on him if she depends on him for getting to hospital or something - we just don't know.

However the local police force have started the process to appeal the judgement as unduly lenient, so there is more scope for you all to have another rant.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
Erm, wrong there. As per the link I posted further up the thread.
Errrm No I'm not.

The driver in your link was not done for speeding.... "The 42-year-old was jailed for 28 months after being found guilty of four counts of dangerous driving."

He was jailed for dangerous driving.

As stated you cannot be jailed for speeding. To make it even simpler.... You cannot be jailed for the OFFENCE of speeding.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
sorry for having an opinion, and expressing it here. Obviously incorrect.
I believe that 154mph on ANY public road is dangerous driving.
you don't agree.
that's fine, but don't use this forum to poke insults at the rest of us, please. Comments like "armchair warriors" aren't helpful.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
I believe that 154mph on ANY public road is dangerous driving.
I'm sure if the CPS / Police could have charged him with that and be sure of securing a conviction then they would have.

It seems he was charged on with speeding "Howlett, of Lakenheath, admitted exceeding the 70mph limit and was sentenced at Bury St Edmunds magistrates court on Tuesday. He had been driving a Seat Leon." (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/02/motorist-banned-for-driving-at-staggering-154mph) So no matter what, he could not be sent to jail.

My LOL at "armchair warriors" is all the folks sitting at their keyboards clamouring on here that he should have gone to jail, when he was not charged with anything he could go to jail for.

While I think the sentence seems lenient, I do not know why they handed down that sentence and it will be appealed by the police.

But 154 on a public road is not in itself dangerous if it is appropriate to the conditions, such as a clear and unrestricted Autobahn. In the UK it is not possible.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm sure if the CPS / Police could have charged him with that and be sure of securing a conviction then they would have.

It seems he was charged on with speeding "Howlett, of Lakenheath, admitted exceeding the 70mph limit and was sentenced at Bury St Edmunds magistrates court on Tuesday. He had been driving a Seat Leon." (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/02/motorist-banned-for-driving-at-staggering-154mph) So no matter what, he could not be sent to jail.

My LOL at "armchair warriors" is all the folks sitting at their keyboards clamouring on here that he should have gone to jail, when he was not charged with anything he could go to jail for.

While I think the sentence seems lenient, I do not know why they handed down that sentence and it will be appealed by the police.

But 154 on a public road is not in itself dangerous if it is appropriate to the conditions, such as a clear and unrestricted Autobahn. In the UK it is not possible.
You are correct in your comment that , if charged with speeding ( as in this case) the defendant cannot be jailed, as speeding does not, in itself, carry a custodial sentence.However, If, in the opinion of the CPS, the speed at which the vehicle was travelling, taking into account all other factors such as road conditions, weather, light etc etc, was considered dangerous, then the charge of dangerous driving can be levelled at the defendant, and that can lead to a custodial sentence.
Clearly we do not know all the circumstances, but whatever they were, it was a relatively light sentence for the speed, especially as the road itself is not a motorway , and considering the type of traffic that could possibly be using it.
On your other point, this is not Germany and there are no unrestricted roads ( other than the Isle of Man) so not really a valid argument. Given the standard of driving in the UK that I see on a regular basis ( driving 40-50k a year) I would suggest that we are far from ready for unlimited roads.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
at least we agree that 154 is too fast for the A11...I'd go further and suggest it's just too fast for ANY road where everybody else is expecting traffic at probably 90 max.
you'd only have to move out to overtake, or even just indicate (so - no BMW drivers then) thinking you had to time to pull out, pass, and pull in again, only for the car behind travelling at 154 to brake, swerve and imitate a gymnast doing a tumble (topical - get it?)
We've all seen pictures and news footage of horrible accidents where someone lost control at speed. Even on motorways cars can go over the armco, especially if airborne.
On a track please, not on the road.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
New car vs old car:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQS-7heF-og

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far more real world and relevant
Didn't really see the point of the ford focus one, in the real world, rarely if ever do humans drive straight at immovable solid concrete blocks and make no attempt to stop or avoid them
If it was just to show the damage speed does, how about this' link'
Showing a lorry driver hitting the back of a scaffolding lorry at 20 mph, that speed killed him outright too

We really must get away from this speed kills attitude, it doesn't, it's the inappropriate use of speed, not the speed itself.

I've just looked at some of the cars people own in this thread, I'm guessing some of the posters bought them for the fuel economy you get from 200- 300 bhp cars, as obviously from their replies they will have never ever exceeded 70mph :confused: ;)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I've just looked at some of the cars people own in this thread, I'm guessing some of the posters bought them for the fuel economy you get from 200- 300 bhp cars, as obviously from their replies they will have never ever exceeded 70mph :confused: ;)

Yes, it was bought for the fuel economy, I regularly take trips to various places with windy twisty bits and then drive as economically as possible, I sandpaper my feet to get extra sensitivity, make sure I've had a poo before ( weight saving) only fill the tank to a quarter ( more weight saving) make t'wife take the bus (more weight saving) drive round in me shreddies ( not weight saving, I'm just a perv :p ) and never, EVER exceed the speed limit. No. Never. Ever. So no need to deny it on a forum. No.
Seriously though, you are right with regard to speed. Speed doesn't kill, speed in the wrong place and in the wrong hands, does. Although 154mph on the A11 is a bit daft. And its so straight. And flat. And ... and.... norfolkish.........
Gimme twisty bits anytime.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.