buying a Mk1 Cupra R

petegee56

Aug 4, 2016
Well this is probably an early midlife crisis but I'm thinking of buying a MK1 cupra R, I always wanted one when they first came out but ended up getting a TDI 150 FR+ which I loved but that blew up on me 3 years ago in the south of france and since i have been driving a peugeot 107 !!!!!!!!!!!

i want something fast and relatively cheap and the Cupra R seems to fit the bill.

After all that what i want to know is what to look out for, i will be looking for an unmodified car which is hopefully 80 - 100k miles but it will still be ten years old, obviously service history and a tidy car but what are the common problems what might cost me after I buy it

Anyone know of a cheap car that fits the bill, platinum silver ideally.

Pete

CosmicR

Aug 1, 2016
I'm new to the Cupra but I've had many 1.8t engined cars!
Things to look out for engine wise...
*pcv hoses split/torn
*cam cover hose split
*rocker gaskets leak
*after run water pump seized
*sump pick up pipe blocks
*dip stick tube snapped
*split vacuum hoses
*coil pack failure
*gearbox laith shaft bearing can start to whine

More niggle's than anything and I've personally always found them strong and reliable! Once the usual suspects are sorted I've always found them trouble free depending on how they are looked after!
Body work tends to be good if not abused, interiors hold up well I've always found! I've just got one myself, and coming from Golf GTI's mk4 and the 8L S3 I really like the Cupra R!

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
not to sure about finding a cheap cupra/r if its cheap then its prob crap or not looked after, even a std good looking one will still need work on it but id give yourself a budget, and if you have a heavy right foot then its even more :rofl: good luck

petegee56

Aug 4, 2016
Cheers for the replies.

When I say cheap, I mean that power to price then they are pretty cheap. im hoping with a budget of about 4K i can find a decent one.

i have found a very useful thread in the frequently asked questions. very helpful.

Pete

Kye

Mar 2, 2007
I've put mine on auto trader today, sounds like what you want platinum silver/arctic grey,totally unmodded but it's 143000. never gone wrong and is a gear car, only getting rid of as moving jobs and don't need car as commuting by train. have a look, I Watford and £2,650

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
They are too cheap at the mo in my opinion for what u get. 4k will get you a 3k ish one with cash for some mods / repairs. Had mine 10 months and in that time changed coils and spark plugs to fix misfire, leaking flange on cooling system and mine whines in 3rd and some times the left front door doesn't unlock.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.