Front & rear wiper replacement

CupraMark

Jul 1, 2016
Hi folks,
Apologies if this has been covered before but I've only just bought my 53 plate.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get wiper blades like the Bosch aerotwin for the Leons?

Was also wondering what folk had done to their rear wipers.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Personally I wouldn't bother with the retro fit Bosch blades, yes they do work better but they still look crap and very dated due to the design of the original kinked wiper arms.
Instead get yourself a pair of used late (03 onwards) mk4 Golf wiper arms, they sit much lower in the scuttle and are generally a lot flatter especially when coupled with proper Bosch aerotwin blades.
Make sure to buy the direct fit pin type blades and not the multi-fit ones which will still fit but have a bulky plastic section on top of them defeating the object of this modification.

For the rear buy a Skoda Fabia estate rear arm, Fabia hatchback cap and Bosch aero blade. You get all of these on eBay or even from the dealership surprisingly cheaply.

Last edited:

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I fitted Bosch aerotwin blades to my car last winter and they’re the best wipers I’ve had on the car.

Got them online and cost around £21 for the front two, a set of retro fit on the standard wiper arms.

Had the car for ten years and it’s now used for a motorway commute, so cost and performance are more of a concern than looks.

CupraMark

Jul 1, 2016
Personally I wouldn't bother with the retro fit Bosch blades, yes they do work better but they still look crap and very dated due to the design of the original kinked wiper arms.
Instead get yourself a pair of used late (03 onwards) mk4 Golf wiper arms, they sit much lower in the scuttle and are generally a lot flatter especially when coupled with proper Bosch aerotwin blades.
Make sure to buy the direct fit pin type blades and not the multi-fit ones which will still fit but have a bulky plastic section on top of them defeating the object of this modification.

For the rear buy a Skoda Fabia estate rear arm, Fabia hatchback cap and Bosch aero blade. You get all of these on eBay or even from the dealership surprisingly cheaply.

Cheers,
Any particular year of Fabia? Don't suppose you know a part number?

Never mind, found a sticky post with part numbers. Do these work alright with the washer? Is it an easy DIY job?

Last edited:

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi CupraMark.

It's a very easy DIY job. Just lift the plastic cap up (90º degrees), unscrew the hex bolt (13mm) and pull the wiper arm out (could be very tight if rusty).
To fit the Fabia one its just the opposite operation. The washer is inserted on the top of the bolt rail so no need to adjust anything.

Regards.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
What??

It took me literally 5mins to swap it over whilst I was waiting for the missus in the supermarket car park.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Worse case scenario the splines are rusted then you just spray some plus-gas on it, let it soak over night then try again.
If it still doesn't come off then use a wiper puller, they only cost a few quid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Thai is right. Unless you encounter a PITA wiper arm glued on its pretty easy to do it.

The most annoying thing I found was really lift up the plastic cap without breaking it (before I had a replacement).

Regards

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.