Please help

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I have had my mk2 cupra for two years now. It has a revo remap which is a couple of years old. Yesterday after a 45 minute drive I had a 5 minute break then set off again. When I started the car it felt very hesitant when pulling away. Nearly to the point that I stalled it. It didn't feel right driving it (felt like driving through Treacle), so I pulled over and switched the map off. I drove it home but the temp never reached 90 like it always does and it was 22 degrees outside. It still doesn't feel right now. The idle revs are sitting at just over 1000 aswell.
I have had the dv replaced with rev D last year and need to identify this problem before it gets worse as I don't want to break down on my way to hospital (baby expected any day ☺️)

Please help

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I have a handheld scanner but it said no codes so might have to try to get hold of vagcom. I had the dv off last night and it's fine- no splits but didn't feel that smooth on the piston. Any ideas what I could use to lubricate it.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Sounds like the pcv has failed. Disconnect the plastic corrugated hose at the inlet manifold end and try blowing through. If you can the pcv has failed. Another easy way to check is pull the oil cap off with the engine running, you should see a noticeable change and go lumpy. If it stays the same then pcv is gone.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
As above, sounds exactly like a failed PCV to me. Removing the oil cap should result in the car near stalling, removing the dipstick is probably a better test and should result in a rough idle.

Incredibly easy to change, so once confirmed, get yourself down to your local main dealer (you can ring any Seat, Audi, Skoda or VW dealer) and ask for the part number 06F 129 101 R - usually around the £35-40 mark

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
I have a handheld scanner but it said no codes so might have to try to get hold of vagcom. I had the dv off last night and it's fine- no splits but didn't feel that smooth on the piston. Any ideas what I could use to lubricate it.

Pull it apart and clean it, it shouldn't need any lube. A thin smear of engine oil would be suitable if you absolutely have to though

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Thank you guys. Is that the latest pcv revision? I will try that this morning. Do you mean blow into the long bumpy plastic tube on it? I don't have a seat dealer near me but have an Audi one.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Also I found this on the forum about what to do when changing it:Originally Posted by dave.c View Post
If you change the PCV...

You will need to change the REAR pipe aswell located at the back of the engine cover (under the MAF)

The reason why you need it is because of the newer design of the pcv, it requires the rear pipe to have the additional check valve (the older version only has 1 but the new one has 2...)

Does anyone have the part number for this other bit?

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
That's interesting about the rear pcv, not something I've read before and when doing my full pcv delete the rear pipe was completely hollow and had no check valves.

Also, yes that is the pipe to check just be careful when removing as they can be fairly brittle.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Ok does ignition need to be on to check it? I think they are saying that the newer version requires a rear pipe with check valves.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
If you are blowing through ignition can stay off. Otherwise the oil cap test is done with engine running

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Ok thanks. Any ideas where I can find an exploded view of the pcv system so I know what the rear pipe number is? I have had a google but couldn't see.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Here's a diagram showing the basics of the pcv, the rear one just leads from rear of the rocker cover into the turbo inlet side

26ed71e77e08a6098ea1a5c848a92a46.jpg

Updated rear breather part number is 06F 103 215B

Last edited:

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I have tried to blow through it but can't. Is it normal for inside that tube to be slightly oily?

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Also I found this on the forum about what to do when changing it:Originally Posted by dave.c View Post
If you change the PCV...

You will need to change the REAR pipe aswell located at the back of the engine cover (under the MAF)

The reason why you need it is because of the newer design of the pcv, it requires the rear pipe to have the additional check valve (the older version only has 1 but the new one has 2...)

Does anyone have the part number for this other bit?

That was only needed on the revision P PCV valve, the latest revision goes back to the older style and doesn't need the additional check valve

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Perfectly normal for it to be oily. If you cannot blow through it at all, and if you suck/breath in - it opens quickly (it should open and close very quickly and easily depending on air direction) then it is fine.

If its not the PCV then it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. It could be a split in one of the plastic corrugated pipes (they become brittle with age, especially the long one that runs down to the front of the block).

You can rule out the PCV system and the long pipes by temporarily blocking up the end of the manifold, labelled as 'Intake Manifold Gas Outlet' in the above image

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
The one that runs from the PCV to the crank case, the one that runs to the 'primary oil separator' in the image

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Ahh ok. The you all for all your help. Audi didn't have hoses so got a pcv see if that sorts it.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise