Cupra R vs Leon 1.9 TDI FR

James7293

Aug 8, 2016
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so I'm sorry if I ask anything that to you may sound ridiculous.

I am looking to buy a Seat Mk1, I have had my heart set on a Cupra R for a few years but now I work roughly 40mile away I have had doubts with if to buy a Leon FR instead? Can anyone advise what sort of mod's I can do to the 150 to get it up and around 200bhp? The main reason I am swaying towards the FR is because I feel it will be far more economical that the Cupra?

Any advice is appreciated.

Hardscupra16

Jul 8, 2016
I've got the cupra r 225 bam engine 260bhp and I travel every day 30 miles and It isn't that thirsty depending on how you drive it, it is hard not to give it a blast every now and then haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James7293

Aug 8, 2016
What mpg do you average? I do 40mile a day, id love a cupra r, its cheaper to insure too but fuel is obviously a key factor

Hardscupra16

Jul 8, 2016
Not sure to be honest I'll check on the way home this evening and update what my car says I'm averaging I looked at getting the fr I found that they where A BIT pricey. I love my LCR best car I've ever owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettnerrr

Mar 16, 2016
northampton
my r is 260bhp and is really good on fuel couldnt tell you wot mpg im gettin but fuel seems to last for ages in it.. unless i hit the loud pedal lol

James7293

Aug 8, 2016
Think its just a case of getting hold of a well looked after one that has had the belt changed and water pump i guess?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
In regards of modifications to a FR TDI, a simple remap alone will get you safely near to the 200bhp mark whilst still achieving 50+mpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

andycupra

status subject to change
wow, the comments in this thread dont match the comments over the last 15 years..
the 1.8 is thirsty. most people report getting around 270 miles per tank, which is around 23mpg!

it is possible to break 400 miles per tank, meaning 34 MPG. which if driving carefully for MPG it isnt a great result really.

many people look at the mpg readout when cruising on the motorway and think they are getting good MPG, but does this really match the actual reality of miles travelled between filling up.

The diesels hold their value well, the R is a far superior car, even over the cupra the R is noticeably better.

personally id be comparing the two assuming 30 mpg for the R and 55+ for the FR.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
I never got anywhere near 23mpg. 28 was about as low as I got in the winter.

yes it does vary depending on driving, roads, routes etc.
but'most' people in the past report rarely getting more than 300 from a tank.

it is possible to get more, (i average around 390 and got 470 once. but that does mean taking it very easy and requiring friendly helpful drives.

vicalva

Cup Racing R - Legend
Aug 13, 2003
Madrid
Visit site
I use my LCR for daily commute, a round trip of 80 miles. I can do 40mpg (5.8l/100km) on motorway if driven economically. If driven 100% in the city, mileage falls down to 18 mpg.

Diesel is dirty by definition, problems with EGR valve. No pleasure if you want to have the occasional spirited drive. I'd stick to petrol unless you do more than 20k miles a year.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
I use my LCR for daily commute, a round trip of 80 miles. I can do 40mpg (5.8l/100km) on motorway if driven economically. If driven 100% in the city, mileage falls down to 18 mpg.

Diesel is dirty by definition, problems with EGR valve. No pleasure if you want to have the occasional spirited drive. I'd stick to petrol unless you do more than 20k miles a year.

ok so 40 mpg on the motorway, (which actually i don't believe) but also this excludes the start and end of the journey so i assume you get much less overall.

Last edited:

vicalva

Cup Racing R - Legend
Aug 13, 2003
Madrid
Visit site
ok so 40 mpg on the motorway, but this excludes the start and end of the journey so i assume you get much less overall.
About 95% of the round trip is motorway, I average 40 mpg. 100% motorway would get me a fraction more mileage. As already said, urban would get you about 18mpg. See how much motorway and urban you drive to work out your average.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
my standard mapped R gets about 30mpg average, and that can be hammering it down a motorway, or driving round town. Theyre pretty predictable however you drive.

my pd150 tdi use dto get 70 mpg on the motor way tho.

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Iv had my down to around 12mpg during heavy right foot action and struggle to even get 175miles to a tank now iv gone hybrid, before I regularly got 300miles to a tank.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.