Dorny's Soon To be AWD K1

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Evening all

Ive had my car since last Xmas and keep meaning to start a progress thread but I keep forgetting. So thought I would have a stab at it now.

Update
Current Mods:
Revo Induction Kit
Loba hpfp
Eibach Sportsline Springs
Miltek Full sports cat exhaust
R8 Ignition coil packs
Uprated Clutch
Revo Throttle Pipe
Revo Full Engine Mounts
Eurojet FMIC
RS4 Valve
Triple R Splitter
EBC Grooved and Dimpled Discs
Brembo Pads
Shark Performance Stage 2+ 362BHP
Michelin pilot super sports

To be fitted:
Powerflex front bush with adjustable camber
Powerflex Anti Lift Kit
H&R Front and Rear Sway bar

Possible Future Mods:
TTE420 Turbo
Uprated LPFP
Forged pistons and rods (not sure if this is needed or not)

The car originally was stage 1 with some basic mods such as facelift central console with the RNS and heater units, Eibach lowering springs, Revo Induction Kit and a Triple R splitter.

seat-leon-hatchback-2-0-cupra-k1-5dr-50cc8d55018b13682abbdf337e32df15-640x480_zpsts3kvggn.jpg
[/URL}

She had a unpainted jacking point cover and over the winter the left headlight misted up badly and formed condition badly on the inside So these were the first things to sort out. Luckily I was able to find a bi xenon unit on ebay that was never fitted to the car and was going for £90 instead of TPS price of £350.

While changing the headlight which involved taking off the front bumper, I started to notice a lack of underskirt and damaged wheel arch lining and other bits and bobs that was indicating it had been in a light crash or bump on the right side as the chassis and suspension and everything was fine but the plastic areas that support the front bumper were in a state and the front bumper didn't really sit properly around the headlight and there was big gaps between the bumper and headlights and looked like the bumper was drooping.

After further inspection the big plastic front end structure that attaches to the chassis and is used to support/hold the headlights/radiator/bumper has broken sections where the bottom mounts/screws would go that support the bumper from the bottom.

So after several calls to TPS and using my contacts to get the prices at VW dealership trade I was able to get all these parts replaced and a bonnet sound proofing for about £120.

After many hours of aligning and placing panels, the bumper now sits correctly and I have a none misted up headlight :D

A month later and my car is up for MOT test and I thought this was going to fly through due to the car feeling solid and like a new car. Sadly it failed on emissions due to a lack of Cat, this was a surprise to me as I was sold this as as having a eurojet down pipe with sports cat.

As the MOT test pointed out to me, this is a modular downpipe and it was missing the cat part.

I was able to convince him to pass me as I said I would get it sorted out. Many phone calls to the dealer and many months of trying to get anywhere with them, I got nothing. I will get back to that later.

My next upgrade was a Full Revo Engine mounts kit and was lucky to get these for £260 in total. The reason I was doing this was because the standard worn OEM engine mounts were allowing the engine to move too much under load and this was causing it to push the exhaust out of its front mounts and I'd assume this would be putting strain on the downpipe and turbo. I was planning to go stage 2-3 anyway so thought might as well.I fitted these while changing the Cam Follower just to be on the safe side and also repairing the thread and fittings of the revo induction pipe as the previous owner screwed in the bolts at an angle and ****ed up the thread, so the pipe kept coming loose and rattling and rubbing on itself.

Initially I didn't like the engine mounts as there was some pretty bad cabin vibration and engine note. But luckily this toned down over the weeks and is really nice nowadays as it give a very nice engine note and the worst of the vibration is during reversing. But it did stop the exhaust from coming out of its mounts and the car seems to launch better and less wheel spin.

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Next up I brought my car in for a full service and change all the filters and Miller Nanodrive oil. As I was stamping the service book something started to look suspicious in the paper work when it came to the cambelt change. It was supposedly service by Seat but it had a continental synchrobelt sticker. Now this got me wondering so, I took the plastic cover off to look at the condition of the cambelt and the belt had a different manufacturers logo on it and it looked quite warn and with further inspection the there was coolant staining around the water pump....

Also one of the mechanics said they could hear quite a big rattle around the right hand side of the engine indicating the cam chain.

So to be on the safe side I decided to replace the belt, pump, cam chain and tensioner with genuine parts and fit them myself. Again used my sources to get the parts and kits at good nearly trade prices. At the time I also acquired a Eurojet Front Mounted Intercooler and RS4 Valve and loba HPFP

So here comes the big job of doing all of those things.

While doing this I found out the car already had a FMIC which I was not told about, but I will admit it has no branding on it and looks like a less dense and cheaper version of the eurojet intercooler, at a guess it might be one of those Chinese knock offs from ebay.

Also because I was doing the RS4 valve which involved the manifold coming off I thought I would give the valves a good cleaning with wire brushes and carb and brake cleaner.

Amount of build up on a 55k mileage car

After the clean

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Afterwards she was then off to Shark Performance for a stage 2+ remap and ended up with 362BHP, they did a great job and it pulls amazingly.

Now this brings me up to last week when I fitted a full Milltek Exhaust system with sports cat, new front number plate and Revo Throttle Pipe which I still need to fit.

Will take some proper photos of the car when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Just a small update:

Fitted the Revo Throttle pipe and replaced the worn DV and PCV with latest revisions. Not sure if the map needs tweaking for the throttle pipe to make any use of it or not.

Just received my front and rear EBC dimpled and grooved discs and Brembo sports pads, which I'm hoping not to regretting as I've never had grooved/dimpled discs before, some people have made out they are very noisy.

Also ordered a new Triple R Composite splitter as the one on the car has seen better days with chunks and cracks in it. The previous drivers wasn't very good :p

In a few weeks time my car is also being booked in for a professional detailing and a application of Cquartz UK

Now the guys have recommended getting the bonnet black plastic trim resprayed as it has become fairly faded. But I'm not sure if I would want it painted a gloss black. I do have the mirrors and wheels gloss black but really not sure if it would work with the bonnet trim. Haven't seen any other peoples cars done either.

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Yes it does have a uprated stage 2 clutch on the car when I bought it as I think the previous owner was getting the car ready for stage 2 but never made it. I cant remember the make but do remember seeing the paper work and receipts and it cost him a fortune from AKS tuning

I haven't timed it yet or done any 1/4 runs but I would guess 0-60 in under 5 seconds on a good cool dry day so the tyres grip. But for me its rapid fast and pushes you into the back of the seat all the way till the point you back off due to the speed. Im going to a track day soon so will properly found out these things then.

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Quick update:

Replaced the Triple R composite splitter with a new one and fitted the new discs and pads all round. Had the unfortunate problem of both rear brake callipers being seized solid and could not return the piston so had to by some brand new ones.... Took some time for these to bed in but they are great and not noisy or squeal at all.

Had my cupra detailed by Pw Pro in Mansfield who did a stunning job on the car, looks like a totally different car. And the Cquartz layer is doing a great job.

This is when I dropped the car off and left it with them. Will take a picture some point when I give it a clean.

Replaced the faulty dvd drive in my RNS 510 unit, updated the firmware and updated to latest V13 maps. Great forum called GPS underground had great information and places to get all this sorted.

Recently I've been noticing my suspension struggling with the 360 + BHP and it not being controlled under load or cornering and getting a bit hairy . So I've decided to replace the worn OEM front wishbone bushes with Powerflex poly bushes and anti lift kit and also upgrade the sway bars to H&R front and back as I was able to get them at a good price.

Will be fitting them next weekend if the chance comes around to fitting them.

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Quick update:
Fitted the sway bars,bushes and anti lift kit and jesus does it change the handling of the car :D Currently have it on the stiffest sway bar setting but may go to medium, because while it is great in the corners its abit too stiff for general driving and feeling every but in the road. Before it was a car that felt it couldnt handle the 360bhp to one that can.

Also these goodies came in the post today :D

I've decided to go to a tte420 turbo but have been reading alot of reports of broken/melted piston rings on stage 2+ cars and above.

TSR Performance are having a xmas deal so I thought I'd go and do it and do a engine rebuild. So bought the following

Deatchworks in tank fuel pump
ZRP EN24 rifle drilled rods
Wossner pistons stock bore size, may go to 83 depending on the engine state when I take apart
Quaife LSD
And all the bits and bots to fit them.

Dont know when I will start this, maybe towards the end of january.

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
And the list keeps building

SuperTech Performance valves and springs
Erling gasket set.
ARP head bolts etc
Fluidampr crank pulley damper.
CTS turbo outlet pipe.

And eventually the TTE420 will come.

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Update:
Plans have changed a bit since last time I posted. Someone during Xmas time floated the idea of an S3 AWD conversion to me and the idea didn't leave my thoughts so towards the end of January I started the hunt for the parts. I ended up sourcing parts from an 2012 S3 with 32k mileage so decided to go for it.

So I've decided to put the engine rebuild on hold for now to save up money and to get the AWD sorted and settled. I decided to do the AWD because the car already struggles for grip at stage 2+ 370bhp except for a few weeks in the summer and it was going to get worse with the TTE420/GT28/30. Also the idea of an AWD cupra k1 amuses me.

I was planning to do this my self but the garage I work at doesn't have the space to lose a car lift and unless I can do the work over the weekend, its going to cause problems. Also I have no idea to the software and programming side of things, so I decided to get shark performance down the road from me to do it.

Here are some progress shots

Old rear subframe coming out
11201810_10153945783090281_5757360995541761065_n.jpg

New S3 subframe
535112_10153945783140281_7386334402985674604_n.jpg

10341670_10153945783155281_6190643250720127224_n.jpg

10154236_10153945783225281_4978169064053401547_n.jpg

And this is it back on the floor with the S3 rear subframe, so they could roll it out and get back to it another day.
994674_10153946224695281_7926528854888859386_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
:D

AWD nearly done, hardware side done, now just the wiring and programming.

20160815_174330_zpsorfmnyxt.jpg

20160815_174313_zpseqdhriap.jpg

More pile of goodies
Bilstein B16
20160728_231959_zpspda4ffgz.jpg

S3 Gearbox with quaife diff, input shaft billet mod and support
20160723_103917_zpsghznjh6q.jpg

Forging Engine parts with 1.8 oil pump conversion, billet crankshaft and HPA inlet manifold
20160722_193609_zpsslgq8pzu.jpg

Other bits and bobs include Auto Polar FIS, CTS turbo boost pipe, 42dd gearlinkage bushes, RS3 injectors, R-tech rear strut brace, Unibrace UB

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.