LCR Brakes

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Hi guys, time has come for my LCR to have a new set of brakes (discs and pads front and rear) I'm looking around and struggling to find balance between good quality and affordable I have stumbled upon these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111814507351 they look alright and I'm not driving it on a track so anyone had any experience with these? I heard EBC are good but I don't want anything less than the oem braking power... Any help would be appreciated!

Matthew

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Have you looked on Euro Car Parts at all?

They often have very good deals on Brembo discs and pads.

Only brembo euro car parts have are 312mm the LCR has 323mm discs :( was my first place to look...

Irf what would you suggest if you don't mind me asking? I need something decent but nothing super expensive to be honest around £300 mark is budget... Could stretch over if needed

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
ECP do stock the discs and stuff for LCR's,

Fronts

104790018 is the ECP part number for the discs in Pagid

101790068 for the pads in Pagid, 10179006A for brembo brand. (both fit brembo calipers) that lot will set you back £250 ish

Pagid are OE quality, the brembo's are a few quid dearer and they're not much different. Mind that these arnt BREMBO SPORT parts. which we do sell, but theyre all special order, you can get eliptical grooved brembo discs and all sorts.

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Irf what would you suggest if you don't mind me asking? I need something decent but nothing super expensive to be honest around £300 mark is budget... Could stretch over if needed

Again, just my opinion but the minimum I would do is get the discs from sere motors for £200 odd and then again standard pads from sere for I think £70 odd.

The reason for this is that when I bought my car the previous owner had changed discs for pagid ones only 3 months previously and when I drove it they were warped.

Ebc have always been pretty crap in my experience (tried green and redstuff in different cars, road and track) so I'd just get genuine if at all possible.

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I've run pagid front discs from eurocarparts on my lcr with carbotech pads round Brands and snetterton a few times and they have been fine.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I've run pagid front discs from eurocarparts on my lcr with carbotech pads round Brands and snetterton a few times and they have been fine.

That's as good a test as any, run carbotechs for track myself but it's because of my experience I wouldn't touch them.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Fair enough I'm no Lewis Hamilton so probably not trying hard enough I do get fade after about 5 or so minutes so will probably go for a grooved disc next. But for road use Pagid discs seem fine ( to not go off topic)

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I'm surprised you get fade if you're using carbotechs tbh, when I'm on track my pedal gets a little longer but that's about it. I've used xp10s and now on xp12s. Ds2500s for the road. Same fluid, rbf660.

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Heard that a few times, thats why I choose them over ds2500. It's probably a combination of things, which I'm working on. having new fluid put through as what's in there is now 6 months old and been hot on a few occasions

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Cheers for the replies lads I think I'm just gonna go ahead with Sere and bite the bullet... Discs £195 for front pads £118 for front then rears are £88 as a set... On a side note I have 2 other questions...

1) anyone had any experience with seats fixed service? They replace brakes for £295 fixed... Just wondering if they would use the oem parts ie the parts the car came with in the first place?

2) how do you do the bedding process? Like I read harsh braking from 60-20 7-9 times without coming to a stop... Or I also read to slowly brake for the first 1000 miles of driving?! I'm confused... Cheers again lads!!!

irf

Feb 5, 2014
As far as I'm aware with oem stuff there's no real bedding in required, take it easy for a while maybe but that's it.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It's the pads that make the most difference in my experience. The discs are basically just a piece of metal to some extent. As long as they aren't cheap crap that will warp when they get hot, then they are just there for the pads to grab hold of really.

IMO the compound of the pads is by far the major factor when it comes to stopping power and resistance to fading etc etc. Unless you're going mental on the track then i'd just get OEM discs and spend extra on a decent set of brembo pads.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
As far as I'm aware with oem stuff there's no real bedding in required, take it easy for a while maybe but that's it.

+1 on this, there is loads of crap written about how pads should be bedded in, but i'd just take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles. I think it's a lot less of an issue when changing both the discs and the pads at the same time, as both surfaces should be nice and flush.

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
It's the pads that make the most difference in my experience. The discs are basically just a piece of metal to some extent. As long as they aren't cheap crap that will warp when they get hot, then they are just there for the pads to grab hold of really.

IMO the compound of the pads is by far the major factor when it comes to stopping power and resistance to fading etc etc. Unless you're going mental on the track then i'd just get OEM discs and spend extra on a decent set of brembo pads.

Gotta agree with that comment, the pads are much more important unless your looking at weight and size (for cooling).

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Also worth mentioning that audi TT RS cooling ducts fit our cars with minimal mods.

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Dave at sere offers brembo sport pads (says there are two kinds of brembo these are the better ones) £118.50 and oem brembo discs at £195 so over £300 for the fronts :/ guess I'll bite the bullet and go for it should last me a while I guess :) cheers guys appreciate the help... Any tips for replacing them? Cousin is going to do it for me just wanna make sure he does everything he's supposed to...

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I know I've not got a LCR but I upgraded my front brakes and have had a few different combos (312mm front & 256mm rear):
Brembo discs & pads - good all round feel from cold to hard driving
EBC Ultamax & DS2500s - great when hot, not when cold
Pagid pads & discs - as per Brembos
Brembo Max discs & Brembo pads - great normal road & fast road (this is what I'm running at the moment)

I would defo agree that the main difference is in the pads, oh and all the above are with racing brake fluid - don't ask what kind as she gets serviced each year and don't which type they use.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.