Seat Roadside Assistance no courtesy car

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Just thought I'd give everybody a heads up, in case anybody was unaware - if you hit a pothole and damage your car, you won't get a courtesy car with Seat Roadside Assistance. They class it as a road traffic collision, or some such ****.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
To be expected, it's not a warranty issue is it?

Your insurers should be able to provide a car though, if you're going through your insurance

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
what damage occured..?

you might be in for more of a shock when you get the quote for the repair.

No idea, AA man came and couldn't find anything wrong, but it makes a banging noise under hard braking and the offside front makes a knocking noise driving over rough surfaces. It's with SEAT now.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Checkout fix my street on the web. It may be that this has been noted and not fixed by the local authority. Then you can claim from them. Be prepared for a fight though with legal department.

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York
No idea, AA man came and couldn't find anything wrong, but it makes a banging noise under hard braking and the offside front makes a knocking noise driving over rough surfaces. It's with SEAT now.

Had a similar experience with other cars before and it sounds like a tie rod (I think that was the problem I had) might be at fault. The giveaway comment was the knocking occurs on rough surfaces. Does the knocking go away on smooth road? (rare I know!! :) )

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Had a similar experience with other cars before and it sounds like a tie rod (I think that was the problem I had) might be at fault. The giveaway comment was the knocking occurs on rough surfaces. Does the knocking go away on smooth road? (rare I know!! :) )

I'll be honest: I heard symptoms (load knocking) on Tuesday, then when I tested it on Wednesday it wouldn't bloody replicate! Just my luck.

The noise was like driving over gravel, with a large rock smashing into the wheel well.

The AA man (cost covered by SEAT Roadside Assistance) said that the braking noise is not normal, so he'll follow me down to the garage. The weird thing is, SEAT Roadside Assistance told me to take it down to the local VW, who upon arrival were utterly confused as to why they had it, when there was a SEAT garage down the road (the reason is, they have a body shop, SEAT don't - apparently). I was left in limbo because they (SEAT Roadside Assistance and VW) obviously hadn't communicated with one another. It was a bloody farce.

I've asked them to jack it up, check over everything properly and if there's nowt' wrong (there is, and I won't accept that decision if they say so) to charge me for the labour of checking.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Sorry to hear about the car :(

knocking rattle over uneven surface sounds like the droplink. maybe one or both.

As for banging noise, I would look at the springs and top mounts first.
Does the steering pull under normal driving or when braking at all?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Sorry to hear about the car :(

knocking rattle over uneven surface sounds like the droplink. maybe one or both.

As for banging noise, I would look at the springs and top mounts first.
Does the steering pull under normal driving or when braking at all?

Car's been jacked up, springs checked etc. Nothing wrong, visually.

SEAT called today and my cars ready to pick up tomorrow. No idea what the problem was yet, I'll post an update.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
An update for anybody interested:

Picked the car up from SEAT today. They found play on the offside front top mount. They've adjusted it.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the same problem as before.

When I accelerate hard, there's a mechanical clunk noise. It makes a sound similar to snapping a piece of thick plastic in half, that 'SNAP' noise. You can actually feel it in the cabin, under the accelerator pedal and in the steering wheel. It is loud and intrusive.

Unfortunately for me, I was unable to replicate the issue with the SEAT tech in the car (sod's law) but I'm going to book it in again anyway. Something is not right with it.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.