Upgraded halogens to LEDS

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
Hi everyone, upgraded the DRL, Indicators and Reverse lights to LED. Looking so much better. Let me know if you want to do this as it is an easy upgrade once you have done the research to know which LED's you can fit. These give no warning messages on dashboard so there is no need for external resistors.

83bafc75de1be264730b1b2b6944eaa7.jpg

d5fe572caedc2c721310b5f62bd31cee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Yeh. Looks nice!

So what bulbs did you use then, and how much did it cost you?

Last edited:

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
Anyone changed the halogen head light bulb for a good halogen white bulb?

I upgraded mine from standard to Philips Whitevision H7's (for main and dipped beam) and Philips Whitevision H8's (for fog and cornering lights)

First of all when I upgraded these bulbs I was extremely happy with them. Much brighter and a whiter look (both when looking at the car and when seeing the light on objects from the car) However I recently upgraded the above (DRL/sidelght, reverse and indicators) to LED and it is making me want to do the rest too as you really can't beat how they look.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Any issues with them? Is the flash rate correct? I've heard of people having interference with their DAB radio after changing to LED bulbs too, have you noticed any of that?

Cheers!

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
I can confirm that there are no warning messages and they flash at the correct timing. However, i don't have DAB. I don't see how this could affect DAB though but obviously cannot confirm that there are no issues!

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Cool, thanks mate. Only had my FR a week and a half but the rear indicators being non-LED annoy me when the rear/brake lights and headlights are all LED. :)

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
that normally means they are out of stock and have put the price up to stop people buying, rather than stopping the auction

Deleted member 98136

that normally means they are out of stock and have put the price up to stop people buying, rather than stopping the auction
Thanks for that, often wondered why sometimes items on there are way overpriced, can understand the thinking behind the seller doing that.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I can confirm that LED indicators or reversing light will affect the DAB radio signal.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Deleted member 98136

I can confirm that LED indicators or reversing light will affect the DAB radio signal.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Does on mine too - Indicators will interfere with the signal dependent upon your actual location and the DAB signal being received.

The reverse led on mine completely cuts out the signal no matter where I'm reversing.

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
Does on mine too - Indicators will interfere with the signal dependent upon your actual location and the DAB signal being received.

The reverse led on mine completely cuts out the signal no matter where I'm reversing.

That's crazy, never knew that. I don't have DAB but I do use my phone radio apps and you receive 'DAB quality' sound.

I wonder if it's something to do with the signal going through the reverse selection to automatically turn down the music. Is it possible that you can turn this function off and try that?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
The Dab receiver is right next to one of the rear lights in the boot lid, that's why the interference is so strong.

Deleted member 98136

The Dab receiver is right next to one of the rear lights in the boot lid, that's why the interference is so strong.

That is my understanding of why the reverse led kills the Dab signal, strange though that the factory fitted rear leds in the taill lights don't affect the signal.

I believe the subject of Dab verses LED has been highlighted/discussed in another topic elsewhere on this forum.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
That is my understanding of why the reverse led kills the Dab signal, strange though that the factory fitted rear leds in the taill lights don't affect the signal.

I believe the subject of Dab verses LED has been highlighted/discussed in another topic elsewhere on this forum.

Yep, this is why I asked! I don't use the DAB much at all but it'd be annoying if it becomes somewhat unusable just because I've changed the rear lights.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Upgraded my rear indicators to LEDs yesterday, very happy with the results. I used these bulbs:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221862101538

They're fairly comparable to the original bulbs in terms of brightness, the colour is a bit darker than the standard bulbs (or the front LEDs) but really, that's just me being picky. The LEDs were very well made unlike some of the cheaper units I've seen and used, and there's no issues with flash timings with them.

Removing the rear clusters was a ballache though, so hopefully I never need to do that again!