Is it time to let it go

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
I love my 04 Leon Cupra 150 pdi , but it's coming to the point where I will have to spend a lot of money on it , full service ,cambelt , 2 tyres and I think front wheel bearings plus central locking issues, so do I dig deep or try and sell. The bodywork is quite good , it has fsh and done 80k.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
That's up to you, however apart from the central locking issues the rest are routine running costs.
If you do decide to keep it I'd be getting the cambelt done sooner rather than later as the interval is 60K.

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
Hi, I have owned my car since 2009 and next year will be the third cambelt I have had fitted
Having seen the prices for nice mk1 cupras being realised on eBay ( very nice 04 tdi 80k £1350.00) I am thinking of just driving mine for a year spending as little as possible and just putting it on eBay , I don't want to spend anymore money on it so maybe an oil service and mot

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Why has it had 2 cambelts over 80k?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bluquarta

Dec 2, 2013
I guess it depends on what you need it for. I bought my TDI Cupra for commuting, wanted something with decent economy but fairly quick, comfortable and nice to look at. Mine has done just shy of 100k and flew through its last MOT without an advisory, but sadly I have to sell it as I now walk to work and I won't let insure my other half on it! Will use her Fiesta instead! I would have been tempted by a petrol mk1, if I could trust her to park lol

One thing to bear in mind is you know where you are with your own car, if that makes sense. When you get a new one, its hard to know all the things that might crop up, unless you know the model well. As one of the other guys said, aside from the central locking, sounds like routine stuff to be expected of the mileage

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
If it helps, I had a MK1 FR + for just under three years which developed a couple of little faults so I panicked and got rid of it for a MK2 FR CR170...which I ended up hating. I sold it and ended up buying another MK1 FR which actually had much less miles than the first FR + but I somehow don't like as much.

Maybe stick with what you know if its a good car!

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
My sympathies, I've been in this position too many times with too many old bangers and once a certain amount is spent it gets so hard to make the decision. My luck seems to be once I decide this spend is the limit, the car dies!

I'd decide depending how long you've had it and what other work you've had done. If you've had it a long time with no issues it's not the same as if you've had it a short while. My rule of thumb is total average cost per year, so buying price plus all repair costs less resale value now divided by months or years I've had it. Everyone's acceptable cost limit would be different but it can be a reality check. My best value car ever cost £300 to buy, ran for over 4 years and averaged around £10 a month over all that time. It's just one objective way to help make these tough decisions.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
When to get rid of a car can sometimes be a difficult choice but I do smile inside when I hear the phrase ‘It’ll cost more to fix than the car is worth’. Since things can be a bit more complicated than that. Twenty years ago it was a lot easier since cars would rust out and not pass the MOT.

If the car is still suitable for your needs and generally reliable then it may be worth investing the money. Since as already said most of things listed are normal expenses. If you spend a few hundred pounds on it and get another year of use then that maybe better than buying another car. Since there is a chance that the replacement car will need money spent on it within the first year.

I have a 2003 110 TDI and budget around £500 a year to keep it on the road. The last couple of years it has cost a lot less than that since I do as much service work as I can myself. If it keeps going until next year it’ll be due its second cambelt change. I’m not going to even try that job so while it’s in the garage I’ll ask then to check and replace any worn/perished hoses and belts. Hopefully that will help it keep rumbling along for a few more years.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
You have done 80k in it an from the sounds of it only had to spend money on serviceable items so I would say you have got a cracker there.

OK you say circumstances have changed and you walk to work but what are you expecting to get for 1200 when you sell?

If it were me I would keep.

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
it sounds in great condition your car only small things need replacing, you could go get another car and the servicing and repairs cost hundreds more than your current car . if the cupra makes you happy but you really want to change why not try changing to a petrol cupra more fun and you know what to look for.

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
Would'nt say petrol Cupra is more fun, having had one petrol and two tdi's. The torque of the tdi is amazing and I would say more enjoyable to drive, the mpg is much better as well.i remember when I first drove the tdi, I came back with a huge grin on my face and then bought the car.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Different strokes for different folks. Driven many diesels, some were surprising quick but none felt exciting enough to drive enthusiastically more then a couple of times.

The things that you've listed above just sound par for the course for any car more then a few years old.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.