opinions on the mk 1 cupra diesel?

Amy_Jade94

Aug 27, 2016
Alvaston
Hi,

currently drive a petrol cupra, owned her just over a year and she has all your basic typical mods, standard engine. I've started driving a lot further to work, tends to be 30-50 mile round trips to see friends and travel 100 odd mile each weekend. As much as I love my girl, I'm trying to be a teeny bit more economical when it comes to fuel. Always loved the Mk 1 Leon Cupra and didn't realise you can get it in a diesel. Opinions? Just don't want to put too much money into mine if I'm thinking of swapping, would rather have a fresh canvas and remap a diesel. Tell me I'm nuts or tell me to go for it, keep going back and forth. Just like the sound of a black dirty diesel with a chunky exhaust.

nigxl

Jan 12, 2013
Wales
I've had my FR coming up for 4 years now and it's been fantastic.
It's only covered 44K mind but has had 2 cambelt changes in that time due to age.
I've had a stage 1 map done on mine so it's up to around 190bhp and economy is superb.
Only issue I've had is the paint on the wheels starting to bubble so I had them blasted and powdercoated.
Mine has been serviced every 4K miles using genuine parts and oil, do that regularly and they should go on for years.
Only reason I'm thinking of selling is because I've bought an Audi S4.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi,

currently drive a petrol cupra, owned her just over a year and she has all your basic typical mods, standard engine. I've started driving a lot further to work, tends to be 30-50 mile round trips to see friends and travel 100 odd mile each weekend. As much as I love my girl, I'm trying to be a teeny bit more economical when it comes to fuel. Always loved the Mk 1 Leon Cupra and didn't realise you can get it in a diesel. Opinions? Just don't want to put too much money into mine if I'm thinking of swapping, would rather have a fresh canvas and remap a diesel. Tell me I'm nuts or tell me to go for it, keep going back and forth. Just like the sound of a black dirty diesel with a chunky exhaust.

Pound for pound as a daily driver, the TDi is a better car than the 1.8T. Road tax is less than half the cost, it'll return 50+ mpg all day, and a remapped 150 TDi will spank a remapped 1.8T any day of the week.

I've owned Mk1 Leons for 14 years now, all of which have been 1.8Ts with the exception of a sole 1.9 TDi Cupra. I love the 1.8T. It's more refined and revs out much better than the diesels, but as a mile muncher, the TDi wins.

Don't confine yourself to a 150bhp ARL engined car either. Think about the 130bhp ASZ engine in the TDi SE. The 130 turbo is smaller, boosts quicker and is a quicker car around town. The 150s came from the factory with defective camshafts, and this costs over £1k to rectify. For my money, I'd go for a 130bhp Leon SE TDi which has all the bells and whistles of the 1.8T Cupra. Stick a remap on it and it'll be the best Mk1 Leon available.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise