Williams protective coat

Richjt

Jul 13, 2016
If anyone is offered this don't take it. I purchased a new cupra 290 from motorpoint and was offered this protective coating,I went along with it mainly for the interior as I have 3 young foster children, I cannot comment on the Interior as wont know if it works until there's a spillage etc. But the exterior I am not happy with when I wash the car and dry it off it feels like sandpaper how rough the surface feels not what you'd expect with a car with only 6 miles on the clock, got in touch with Williams auto coat and they have brushed it under the carpet so to speak and said its a dealer problem and not theirs. Have emailed motorpoint 3 times now and nothing.
Anyone else come across this problem

Richjt

Jul 13, 2016
Your car needs claybaring. mine was the same felt like sandpaper clayed it now it's silky smooth

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I agree the last 3 cars I have had got the clay bar treatment, my car now should feel like it's just been clayed they said once you've washed and dried the car it will feel like porcelain hence the name Williams ceramic coat, but you can feel that resistance when you run your hand over it, don't get get me wrong it looks like it's just been polished but obviously the contaminants are under the coating. In my opinion although it was a new car it needing claying prior to the application of the treatment

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Seems that this is a classic case of poor (or very little) preparation by the dealer prior to application of the ceramic coating, so Williams are probably correct in directing you towards the dealer. Preparation is key, which should have included a full decontamination of the bodywork before the coating was applied which, depending upon the condition of the paintwork, would consist of some or all of;
- iron fall out removal
- tar removal
- claying
- 'correcting' any defects in the paint - scratches and / or swirls

Even on a new car, there can be a surprising amount of contaminants on the paintwork - picked up during storage and transit from the factory to the dealer/customer, and applying a sealant / coating to a washed car without adequate decontamination prep will produce the results you are experiencing on your car. The problem with dealers applying any form of paint protection is they are rarely adequately trained or allocate sufficient time to apply these coatings. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it's much better to pay a professional detailer to the job, or if you feel confident and have the time, products and equipment, do it yourself.

If it was me, I'd speak to the dealer and ask them to explain the process(es) used in applying the coating. This should highlight whether or not they applied it to 'dirty' paintwork. It does sound as if it needs to be re-done. If you paid for this (usually not cheap!) rather than the dealer having included it 'free' as part of the deal, then I'd be asking for my money back, and getting it rectified professionally. Under no circumstances would I be letting the dealer re-do it!

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise