Tyre pressure monitoring retro fit

ps13sr20

Aug 28, 2016
so after doing a bit of google searching it seems like its possible to retro real tyre pressure monitoring to the 5F (i did wonder why you get the pressure unit option in the set up menu):

there is a video on youtube but i can't post the URL yet :(

would like to do this to my Cupra when i go for a wheel change but wondering if any one on here has also managed it and can confirm the parts they used?

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
Don't quote me on this but I thought it was mandatory that all new cars from 2013 onwards had to have tyre pressure monitoring systems?... Which would cover all 5f models?
Like I said don't quote me on it though!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I think what the OP is on about are the internal sensor type that will give you a read out of pressure. I know these are an option on other VAG vehicles, but imho they are not worth the extra hassle. The valve stems corrode and break, the sensors are easily damaged and the current system using ABS sensors works fine to alert the driver of punctures.

ps13sr20

Aug 28, 2016
I think what the OP is on about are the internal sensor type that will give you a read out of pressure. I know these are an option on other VAG vehicles, but imho they are not worth the extra hassle. The valve stems corrode and break, the sensors are easily damaged and the current system using ABS sensors works fine to alert the driver of punctures.

That's exactly what i'm talking about mate, seen its possible with using VAG parts.

Had mixed experience with ABS based system, few false alarms, few times its needed a fairly large pressure drop to activate it (seems to be fairly common after a little bit of searching). main reason for wanting them is actually being able to see the pressure delta between tyres and being able to identify a puncture by reducing pressure over time.

mate of mine has a Megane RS and his has worked well for puncture identification on his actually being able to see the pressure going down and over the years has not had to many problems with them corroding or breaking to be honest.

That said no idea what the VAG ones are like.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
My Mk3 seems to trigger a fault when the pressure drops 4-5psi. TBH, I'm happy enough with that.

ps13sr20

Aug 28, 2016
no doubt the system ultimately works but personally would like a secondary measure of confirming if its a false alarm or real event.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I work in a Kia dealers and these type of tps monitors are a right pain in the a***, they fail, get broken at the stalk, get broken internally by tyre fitters, I'd much rather have the Seat abs based system any day, want to check the tyre pressures get a decent gauge and do it manually. MY 2p.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.