Cam-belt snapped

leonpr81

May 7, 2014
Hi all,

After a little advise, the cambelt snapped on my '03 Leon Cupra a week ago. I the vane hope that no valves / pistons or cams were damaged I have changed the cam belt with the time at TDC. The cam belt was easier than imagined after reading so much about it being a pain in the butt.

Anyway, when I turn the key with engine rotates with out any problems but it will not fire, I have checked the timing and rotated the cam 360 degrees just in case it was out (the whole half engine speed thing) even though I was fairly confident on the timing the first time around. This did not work so I went back and timed the engine up to original state again (you never know). Still no life.

So is there any safety cut off or anything that I could of missed. The fuel pump does fire up when I open the door and switch the ignition on so I guess it is not a fueling issue. Just wondering if there could be anything else?

Or should I just assume there is plenty of broken stuff and swap the engine?

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Bent valves, no compression, no life. My cambelt snapped at idle, and I bent over 10 valves.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Valve guides all replaced as caution. And thus no particularly thorough inspection was made of the old ones.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
If you rebuild, please, as a word of warning, DO NOT use gsf supplied valves manufactured by BGA . They're total ****.

leonpr81

May 7, 2014
If you rebuild, please, as a word of warning, DO NOT use gsf supplied valves manufactured by BGA . They're total ****.

Thanks for the advice

I have had a quote for replacing guides at £4.80 each, seating valves at £3.60 each (which I may do) and the valves will be £10 - £15 a piece.

As and when I get around to doing the rebuild I may as well replace all the exhaust guides as they seem to show signs of wear on anything above 100k and my Cupra is about to hit 160k

Cuprakev

Nov 2, 2014
southampton
Have you removed the head to check for damage ? My cambelt snapped i got a new head then when i removed old head there was no damage to the valves or head i could see 2 small marks on piston no 4 i took the head to be rebuilt skimmed etc which they comfirmed there was no damage lucky i no

Cuprakev

Nov 2, 2014
southampton
Did you look in the flywheel port for the line on the flywheel when you timed it up ? And piston no 1 (cam belt end ) should be at top of its strock at tdc and when u timed up did you rotate the crank by hand to check for compression ?

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
have you put a compression tester on the engine then turned it over to see if there is even compression on all cylinders if all 4 are in the 170psi its all even if you got a drop of more than 10 psi on any cylinder that will cause uneven idle. try taking out a spark plug connect it to a coil get it held with something you can,t get a electric shock get some one to turn the key while you watch the spark plug for sparking if not theres no power going to your coils you could have a loose connector to one or all of your coils.if not the live from the engine bay loom has break in the insulation.

Rich-I-Am

Dec 8, 2015
Bedford
Is it the pd engine?
I replaced my cambelt (it didnt snap) and it wouldnt start for love nor money. Id replaced the cam sensor a few months earlier. Checked and re checked everything.
Turns out the new sensor had gone down. Try disconnecting it and then spin the engine over. If it starts after about 5 seconds of cranking it maybe just that. Stranger things have happened.

Rich