What month do you change over to winter tyres on your Leon?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that I've said this elsewhere, but here goes if not, depending on location in UK 999 services might fit winter tyres, couriers on the other hand don't make money if they can't deliver so they do fit winter tyres! I have Michelin Pilot/Premacy summer tyres to thank for me starting to use Michelin Alpins, these summer tyres can be lethal in cold wet icy conditions and my local Costco guys always now warn about planning to use these Michelin summer tyres in winter!
Getting enough grip to get moving in winter is one thing, having enough grip to steer and brake does help, winter tyres tend to give you that. Remember winter tyres are not just snow tyres they are also cold wet weather tyres!

nicknameless

Aug 1, 2016
I simply bought 235/35/R19 Nokian WR D4 tyres for my 19" Cupra alloys, I didn't want to go down a size. The performance is excellent.

Yes but going to get and paying for them swapping over at the beginning and end of every winter is a PITA. Would rather have spare rims that I can swap over myself and don't mind going down to 18s.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Have you used your airbag in that time? If not, I guess you don't need it. Might as well sell it, save a bit of weight.

Are people dumb? Yes they are. They are very poor at risk estimation, understanding cause and effect and estimating probability. That is why some countries have laws to make people use winter tyres and the National Lottery exists.

And here's the kicker. Winter tyres don't actually cost any money! If you keep your car for more than a couple of years the winter tyres save wear on your summer tyres. So say for example you would normally buy ten tyres over a four-year period, just pulling numbers out of the air. If you run winter tyres you will still buy ten tyres over the same period, just that half of them will be winter tyres.

All of the lottery players have got puzzled looks on their faces now eh? ;0)

Just pointing out that in all that time and all those miles I've never had an issue whilst driving throughout the length and breadth of the UK, I always carry a shovel, and some snow socks during the winter months especially when I am in Scotland. I fail to see the point behind you air bag reference. Its a fitted safety device, why would I remove it?
I am not saying I would never consider winter tyres, just that I have never had a need for them in previous winters.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Yes but going to get and paying for them swapping over at the beginning and end of every winter is a PITA. Would rather have spare rims that I can swap over myself and don't mind going down to 18s.

Well, I bought new alloys for £500 and something quid for the winters, so my winter tyres are on those and I'll swap them over myself.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I fail to see the point behind you air bag reference. Its a fitted safety device, why would I remove it? I am not saying I would never consider winter tyres, just that I have never had a need for them in previous winters.

Do you play the lottery? ;0)

An air-bag is analogous to winter tyres. Both are safety enhancing features which may never be needed but could save your life should you encounter circumstances where they are.

Safety is not sexy. People will spend money of nicer wheels, a better stereo but historically both manufacturers are drivers have regularly needed legislation to make them adopt better safety measures. There is no doubt that winter tyres enhance safety when the temperature drops. no one can force you to buy them, heck most people don't, but once you've tried them in the cold you'll like them.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
+1 Mr Pig sir :)

I never saw the point in them myself either - until that time I got stuck. Up to then, driving in cold/ice/snow/wet roads in winter involved the odd hairy moment but nothing severe. But since getting some, I'm glad I have them at my disposal.

Swapping the wheels/tyres over twice a year is a bit of a pain, even with a trolley jack and an impact wrench to help. The October/November swap is the worst, cos it's chilly, you can't feel your fingers, the ground is wet, knees get wet, the holes won't quite line up, and really you just wanna go all F1 on it, and get it all done in 2 secs.

Last spring I couldn't get the damn spigot rings off the hub cos they'd bonded themselves on with rust, now that resulted in a sense of humour failure. Plus I couldn't get the nuts to crack, despite them being torqued correctly, meaning my swap over took 30/40 minutes per corner [:@]

The temptation would be to just stick to a clocks back-tyres on / clocks forward-tyres off thing, but recent winters suggest that it's better to wait a bit until the weather is cooler / warmer as appropriate.

But if the last 2/3 years are anything to go by, perhaps the question of this thread should be "when do you perform the car-to-boat conversion on your Leon?" Water skis rather than tyres :p

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Do you play the lottery? ;0)

An air-bag is analogous to winter tyres. Both are safety enhancing features which may never be needed but could save your life should you encounter circumstances where they are.

Safety is not sexy. People will spend money of nicer wheels, a better stereo but historically both manufacturers are drivers have regularly needed legislation to make them adopt better safety measures. There is no doubt that winter tyres enhance safety when the temperature drops. no one can force you to buy them, heck most people don't, but once you've tried them in the cold you'll like them.

I have never suggested that winter tyres do not enhance safety, I'm sure they do ( pretty pointless otherwise)just that I have never felt the need to fit them, as the standard ( decent brand) tyres have always got me safely to where I want to be in over a million miles.
Winter tyres are a relative newcomer to the UK market, and certainly my current company will only allow their fitment once your existing tyres have worn out. As I've just had a new car, bit useless. For the low winter mileage the Leon does, ( wife's commute) its not worth it. We live in Brum, the roads are normally clear. If the weather is that bad we stay at home. I have a trip to Speyside coming up, car will be loaded as per usual for winter , I always make sure the fuel never goes below half once I'm in the Highlands, warm clothing, boots, water etc. And I stick to the main routes, although some of the distilleries can be entertaining to get to, the roads are normally cleared quickly for the heavy transport to get in or out.
Having said all that, I see that the new Michelin cross climate all weather tyre is available to fit the Passat, may give those a try when the current Conti's wear out.
Oh yes, and I do remember a time with no airbags, no ABS .....:D

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I tend to change the wheels when the clocks change in October and March but probably a bit too soon in spring as snow in April isn't uncommon.
They aren't just about snow but better grip in low temps.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't really see the point in setting a date for fitting the winters. Every year is different. I put them on when the weather starts staying consistently low. It could be October or November depending on the weather. Same with taking them off.

I keep mine in a shed but you could store them quite happily outside. Tyres and wheels kinda live outside all year round anyway so?...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.