Missing service book

bigbearbailie

Sep 19, 2016
Hi, first post so apologies if this isn't in the right area.

I'm looking at 63 plate Seat Leon 2.0 TDI tech pack and have found one that fits the bill. Its sold from available car in the midlands and has done 32k miles. its set up for 20k or 2 year servicing and has a record of one service at 20600 miles.

It states it has a full service history but on further enquiry there is no service record book and is an ex-enterprise-rent-a-car model. it's supplied with an a4 headed sheet title service history with a note stating the mileage and that an oil/filter service was completed with no further details.

enterprise haven't been forthcoming with what that actually means which leaves me a bit clueless as to what's actually been done.

I'm having it inspected by the AA tomorrow but thought i'd ask here as I can't find any information. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar situation? would this actually constitute a full service history when selling on? is it worth getting a duplicate service book and asking them to back date a service? any other thoughts or info would be appreciated

cheers

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
In my experience -my friend had a company and they used to hire them all the time for the sales reps, when the company cars were in for repairs - a hire car is the fastest car Yourll ever drive :D;)

Joking apart, it's quite normal for these outfits to not have or loose the service book/not bother having it stamped.

If you contact the supplying dealer they will often have it on computer and what's been done, not sure about Seat but some manufacturers have them linked so all dealers can see what has been done to the car over its lifetime and will give you a print out, some will even re stamp a replacement book for a fee - order replacement from their parts department - although some just say they can't help cos of data protection.
Anyway its worth a few phone calls to ask about the car your thinking of buying :)

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
had this exact same issue on an astra i had years ago, had a devils own job getting a service book in the end they sent me a letter on headed paper with the dates and mileage of services and work done attached into a service book

id avoid that car like a plague from experience

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
You may be able to track down the supplying dealer, but I am fairly certain that any service work will NOT have been done by a Main Dealer!
It is upto you how you handle this but the car will NOT have Main Dealer Service history, which may well impact on the resale value, so make sure you pay the price based on no service history!

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
It would have had a hard life over the 32k and been driven hard at times.
Bargepole springs to mind.

There are loads of other options out there with fewer ???

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I'd avoid it.

If there's no service book then enterprise will have had it serviced at their own garage, hence no dealer stamp. It will also will have been ragged within an inch of its life.

If it's cheap? I've just told you the reasons why... if it isn't - go find another that's not an ex rental and has a service book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Do not buy an ex-enterprise or any other former hire car. Especially with 32k miles on it, that's a lot (believe it or not) for a hire car.

Myself and a lot of my colleagues have used enterprise cars for the past couple of years, and speaking from first hand experience they are not looked after at all, in any way what so ever. Almost every car I've seen from them has little scuffs/dents all around, kerbed alloys etc.

I'm on friendly terms with most of my local branch and even a few of them have told me to avoid buying one in future.

Just because it is cheaper than others, I'd recommend spending an extra £1-2k and get a car that's been well looked after and not ragged to an inch of its life from cold on a daily basis. Not to mention literally hundreds maybe thousands have people have drove that car.

One example of a Leon FR I seen in my local branch had been driven around town in 1st gear by a foreign guy who lied that he could drive a manual and obviously couldn't, blow the clutch on it haha.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.