what did you and your mk3 leon do today

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Perfectly legal

2. Rules for number plates
Your number plates should:

be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern
Characters on a number plate can be 3D

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

Cheers matey,

I was certain they are legal and did double check on my phone while I was at the dealers but the service guy would not budge and said the tester was right and I told them to call their vosa rep to confirm but they think they are right.

I have SEAT customer services calling back tomorrow after they have looked into it and told them that every new Seat that came out of Spur garage has the same 3D plates on them as I inquired a couple of years ago about getting standard black font plates and was told they only supply the 3D ones.

I am expecting at least a refund for the new plates, might have to push for the refund on the M.O.T as well and will be filling out a VT17 form to give to VOSA shortly.

Seems we know more than a qualified tester, and for a very simple thing.

Apparently it's DVSA now lol

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
M.O.T testers are generally the Doctors surgery receptionist or nightclub bouncer of the motoring world - too full of self-importance for their own good...

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
Perfectly legal

2. Rules for number plates
Your number plates should:

be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern
Characters on a number plate can be 3D

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
Think the issue is that they are not "3d" and not "fully black"
Halfrauds sell the "3d style" plates as in the picture but state them as off road use only on their website.
I think when it says letters can be 3d it means pressed style plates.
Does sound like an mot tester who's got his head up his arse though! Most places wouldn't fail it on that at all.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Think the issue is that they are not "3d" and not "fully black"
Halfrauds sell the "3d style" plates as in the picture but state them as off road use only on their website.
I think when it says letters can be 3d it means pressed style plates.
Does sound like an mot tester who's got his head up his arse though! Most places wouldn't fail it on that at all.

Lots of dealers issue plates like those above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
Lots of dealers issue plates like those above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a strange topic.. I always thought they were illegal but weren't really clamped down on.
Would like to know a definitive answer!

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
As said, there are loads of these type of plates on cars on the road from new and I am sure these plates are legal which means the tester is wrong to fail them.

Either that, or dealers along with SEAT are supplying illegal plates on brand new cars.
I think I know which is more likely.

Warranty claim for dodgy number plates maybe :lol:

The numbers make them legal...

I have sent CS pictures now and they will be getting back to me next Monday :)

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I think they are illegal as they have broken strokes rather than solid on the lettering. 3D refers to pressed plates not 3D effect.

You could write bsau 145d on an old envelope, it wouldn't make it a legal number plate.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I think they are illegal as they have broken strokes rather than solid on the lettering. 3D refers to pressed plates not 3D effect.

You could write bsau 145d on an old envelope, it wouldn't make it a legal number plate.

Of course not, you would need the dealer's name and postcode on it too, maybe If you added bsau 145d to one of the dealer's old received envelopes ;):D

This is what the mot testers manual has to say on the subject, although judging by some of the mot testers you come across, I doubt reading is their strong suit.

Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles *
Contents
Section 6
6.3 Registration plates and vehicle indication number
Left hand column titled "information"

"Three-dimensional characters are permitted to use grey edging in order to achieve the 3D effect on any age of vehicle."

* for any mot testers reading this, that's the big book full of grown up words that the ministry of transport gives you to follow and which will help you avoid being annoying cocks and making up your own rules :censored:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Of course not, you would need the dealer's name and postcode on it too, maybe If you added bsau 145d to one of the dealer's old received envelopes ;):D

This is what the mot testers manual has to say on the subject, although judging by some of the mot testers you come across, I doubt reading is their strong suit.

Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles *
Contents
Section 6
6.3 Registration plates and vehicle indication number
Left hand column titled "information"

"Three-dimensional characters are permitted to use grey edging in order to achieve the 3D effect on any age of vehicle."

* for any mot testers reading this, that's the big book full of grown up words that the ministry of transport gives you to follow and which will help you avoid being annoying cocks and making up your own rules :censored:

Well put dw9,

Also look here

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/blog/2015/12/3d-number-plates-legal.html

Oh and to make things worse, I got to work today to find that the rear plate that the dealer fitted/Stuck on, had fallen off somewhere :wtf:

Called then straight up and they are sending me some replacements apparently.

I have put the originals back on for now as they are perfectly LEGAL!!! [:@]

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
Had rear lights tint wrapped.
Stands out a bit more now :)

c3b74435f59469b8e71893bf5b4532ea.jpg

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
And so the descent into making your car look like a 1.2 corsa on a cruise commences....
No harm in making your car stand out a bit from the rest of the standard cars about.
If I wanted a 1.2 corsa I'd buy one

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise