MAF Cleaned !

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Now that the Exeo is 6 years old my servicing effort is turning to the intake and fuel systems. So today I cleaned the MAF (Mass Air Flow) meter. Its situated bottom left of the engine bay under the air intake. The 2 pictures show the MAF in situ and in closeup before removal:

Picture 1: MAF in situ ! Engine cover and air intake removed:

IMGP0618.jpg

Picture 2: MAF in closeup:

IMGP0617.jpg

Picture 3: MAF out and ready for cleaning although it looks pretty clean for 42k miles:

IMGP0619.jpg

Picture 4: Tools and cleaning product, I used Wynns Diesel EGR3 MAF/EGR spray cleaner:

IMGP0620.jpg

Note the "T" shaped tool this one releases the electrical connector. The hose is just held on with 2 crosshead screws and a jubilee clip. The Air intake is just fixed at the front with 2 Torx.

The cleaning product is like an oily engine degreasant. I gave the MAF a good spraying. I put it all back together in 15 minutes, no problems, the car continues to run absolutely fine !

Last edited:

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
There were no problems with the car this was just preventative maintenance. I cleaned the MAF out of curiosity and seeing others with a similar mileage on the net that needed cleaning.

One point though mine looked pretty clean at 42k miles, I put this partly down to changing the air filter annually - this can only help !

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members