Leon Xperience - Owners Reviews/Comments

stu666

Stuart
Nov 8, 2006
Scotland
Hi Everyone

After a six year break from owning a Seat I'm tempted back by a Leon Xperience.

Main reason is the 4wd and kit like active cruise control plus it has the added bonus of being quite rare up here in Scotland.

I can find plenty professional reviews online but not much by actual owners in terms of living with the car and any issues they have had.

Anyone got any Xperience comments to share?

Thanks

Stuart

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
I have experience with it's sister car the Skoda Octavia Scout 184 DSG.
I had it for 10 month and have changed it for a Leon FR 184 DSG. I didn't gel with the Skoda, I traded a 2011 Leon FR170 DSG for the Skoda, but feel it was a retrograde step. I never was able to try the 4x4 system in the snow, only had one day of it and didn't use the car that day.
Handling, the car was a bit soft and wallowed a bit on undulating roads that caused neither Leon any problems.
Economy dropped around 5 mpg from my Leon 2
The car did not have front parking sensors, it had candle powered halogen headlights, door mirrors did not fold electrically, DAB radio reception was shite. Wind noise from driver's door. All in all the car was not as good as I'd hoped it was.
Perhaps I'd have been happier had it been a Leon experience?
I am happy with my Leon 3.

Last edited:

stu666

Stuart
Nov 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for sharing R22 JGB

Glad you are happy with your Leon, the Skoda Octavia Scout does not look as good in my my opinion but I suppose the extra space is the only plus for some over the Leon.

scumspawn

Feb 21, 2012
East Lothian
Hi Stuart,

I have had my Xperience for 18 months and I love it. I have only seen one other and that was in Plockton. I like that there are not many around. I have the tech pack and winter pack, so LED lights, DAB, heated seats and heated washers. I had a Skoda Octavia Vrs before but decided the new shape was too big and the Leon was about right size. The slightly raised height is quite nice but do agree that the suspension is a little soft, but it is not a Cupra so should be expected. Looking at the stats the boot on the Leon is bigger than the Ateca. I am over near Edinburgh and the dealer I bought from has not sold any more Xperiences than my mine, but has taken several pre-orders of Ateca. So I think the Ateca will be a lot more common on the road.

Hope this helps,

Tim

veno

I like the Ateca but it's a bit pricey at the moment compared to a used XP

From my experience with Xperience for 10 months and about 7000 miles on it.

The bad:
1. I found hissing noise coming from the fuel tank area. Dealer changed the pump but no change in the noise. Escalated with Seat EU, finally dealer told me this is present on all Leon XP due to the double tank transferring fuel from one to another. Shame on Seat, nothing in the brochure states it hisses like snake.... I am still pushing on this issue.
2. Creaks and rattles in dashboard and interior, I am not sure how this is related to the 18 wheels I have. My wife's Suzuki Swift 4 years old has more solid feel inside and no creaks and rattles. I personally put Silent Coat on all the 4 doors to minimize the bad experience... still hearing rattles from here and there.
3. Windshield is very very soft, already couple of stone chips. Found 2 new today significantly big. I don't want replacement till there is any really serious break, due to bad experience in the past with poor installed new windshield. For example my ex Kia Ceed after 7 years before sold has perfect glass, beside the very small sand pits which are usual for every car and noticeable only against direct sunlight. I purchased glass repair kit and fixed the stone chips personally as much as possible in the hope not to change the glass, future will show how good am I in this.
4. Couple of days ago found the tail top 3rd break light cracked (this is common problem usually warranty replaced, but wonder why not fixed on my car released 2 years later, some people complain they have 3 times replaced this). I found also very small crack on one of the headlights at the back top of it under the bonnet, fingers crossed it doesn't go bigger, because led headlight costs 1000 gbp each.
5. I had 184 TDI and according to me the turbo noise is quite loud when I drive on open windows. Especially passing next to buildings or trees is quite annoying - something not expected from a modern diesel engine.
6. Door seals squeaking all the time. Tried silicone grease and gumi pflege - cures the squeaking for coulpe of days only .... I never had these issues with my previous car - 2 times less expensive than the Leon XP.
7. Decorative elements on the bumpers and sides are not painted but covered with vinyl. Vynil is not sold by Seat and if you scratch it lightly (not to mention how easily you can damage it accidently, I managed to do it with the water pump while cleaning the car) you have the option to paint the plastic (something I will do for the front bumper soon) which will not be the same look obviously or buy the whole element at the price of 350 british pounds for the front one.

The good:

1. Car is quite fast and pleasure to drive on the highway.
2. DSG if not perfect is good enough.
3. 4x4 very handy on the winter here.
4. Higher ground clearance - very handy here
5. Handling is very good. Especially with the DCC able to change the shock absorbers dampening stiffness
6. Quite pretty look of the car. One of the reason to choose it over Ocatvia Scout
7. Full led lights - quite modern look and qood visibility in the night

At the end I am both pleased with the car and quite anxious about all the rattles, noises and everything this brand new car makes, not to forget super super cheap plastics surrounding the central console and dashboard - I couldn't barely imagine how they can put such plastic in car which has RRP of over 30 000 GBP. If you slightly touch it it squeaks as hell.

Last edited:

stu666

Stuart
Nov 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the comments folks.

Checked dealer website just before heading out to see the car this morning and it has been sold :( Must have not meant to be

Will wait and see if any others come on the market or possibly a reasonably priced FR 184 ST

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
One final thing, the raised ride height is not due to raised suspension, it is only due to the higher profile tyres!
The standard car runs 225/45r17 whilst the Scout/Experience runs 225/50r17. The difference in profile is what increases the ride height.

veno

One final thing, the raised ride height is not due to raised suspension, it is only due to the higher profile tyres!
The standard car runs 225/45r17 whilst the Scout/Experience runs 225/50r17. The difference in profile is what increases the ride height.

Not sure about that... if it was so easy you can put higher profile tyres on regular Leon to achieve the same. I think they have cleared the things below, there is also protection trim added under.

Approved tyres for Leon XP are 225/45/18 and 205/55/17. 225/50/17 could work but is not approved officially for the Leon XP.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I have a Leon Xperience parking near to me every day. I wouldn't say the difference in height comes only from the tire profiles. The gap between the tires and the wheel arches is clearly larger, compared to a standard or an FR Leon.
Also if it's only the profile, then the gap between the wheel arches and the tire would decrease, as the profile is bigger.

davidisom

Sep 20, 2016
Ride height experince

Actually increased ride height is made up of two parts.

1. 15mm due an extra coil on springs and

2. 13mm due to profile on tyres

3. total 28mm same for 17" or 18"

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
one week in the Xperiance

For perspective my car criteria may be different to yours. I own a Cupra 280 ST and like it. I'd only driven MK3 Cupra's in the SEAT range of cars and my previous cars tend to be sporty. I borrowed a nearly new Xperiance for a week when the Cupra broke and did around 1K miles.

The interior is pretty much the same as my Cupra, well laid out but a bit dull and the plastics feel cheap. That said its not a bad place to be. Exterior extra plastics where not to my taste.

I liked the diesel engine which had plenty of go with good economy but weirdly any attempt to slip the clutch would result in stalling. I ended up changing down all the time to avoid the engine labouring and a high speed stall. You do get used to it but that's the first reason I wouldn't have one.

I didn't think much of the handling. It felt a bit tall and soft and strangely not as comfortable to be in as the stiff Cupra. It was fine for pottering around but as soon as the speed rises and you find a bend it all got a little unsettled and vague. A bit unnerving at even at normal speeds.

Brakes are Ok with good initial bite but seemed to fade a bit. 4 wheels drive was there and went pretty much unnoticed in a dry week. Manual gearbox was nice to use after my DSG but on balance I'd have the DSG. Steering as mentioned felt vague.

Overall I found it OK once you understand the limitations but definitely not a good car for me personally. I think the price the dealer was asking was roughly the same as a Cupra but everything I find good about the Cupra just wasn't there on the Xperience.

veno

@Xabu-ST280

From your readings I suspect you have driven the 1.6D (110hp) or 2.0D (150hp) both with manual transmission.

These are without DCC, and their suspension setup is in Comfort mode. Also smaller brake disks and hence the lack of stopping power.

The Xperience 2.0 TDI ( 184hp) DSG is different animal. Equipped with DCC in Sport mode the car is much stiffer compared to Comfort. In Comfort is almost impossible to take straight turns, while in sport I enjoy driving on any highway with a lot of turns in the mountains. I use Comfort when riding on rough roads with slow speed.

Imagine FR equipped with Haldex 4x4. Only a little bit higher. Personally I think the raised suspension is adding nothing to spoiling the sporty feeling of driving it.

Last edited:

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
it was the 2.0 150hp without DCC so what you say makes a lot of sense.

I actually wanted to like the car more than I did as on paper at least it makes a lot of sense as a second car in our household once depreciation has done its thing a bit more.

Its good to hear that the things I wasn't that keen on are sorted out by your spec. I've added it back to the shopping list but with the revised spec.

mikks1

Aug 12, 2014
Got my fully loaded Xperience SE TECH LUX 3 days ago and I am officially in love with this car!

I've been considering the Ateca, test drove it but I do not regret taking the Xperience.

It drives beautifully, much more comfortable and smoother than my previous Leon FR 1.8TFSI. And although it hasn't got the same roar as the petrol Leon, it is fast as hell. And the MPG has improved by approx 20%.
There are two features you should definitely consider: the panoramic roof, it is absolutely amazing, and the adaptive cruise control, it's like driving on autopilot (not the same as Tesla but close enough)

Go for it, you wont regret it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.