Door Lock Replacement Help

Jack92

Hi Guys,

Recently both my passenger side door locks failed. Luckily i managed to get the rear door card off before the door decided to dead lock itself shut... (useful).

Firstly does anyone know how i can get the dead lock to release?

and secondly how on earth do i remove the windows so that i can finish taking the door to bits?
I've seen in many places it is a 2 part expanding pin where the middle pushes out.

I'm pretty sure i have found it but it doesn't seem to want to budge for love nor money. Does anyone have any tips?
The pin which i think I have found is white and appears in the hole in the door skin when the windows is down about 1/4 of the way, does this sound correct?

I haven't even attempted the front door yet as i don't really want to go to the effort of taking it all apart to have the same issue!

any help is much appreciated as currently i have 1 dead locked door and one which doesn't lock at all!

Thanks in advanced! :cry:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, as far as i know the only way to remove it is to smash it with a hammer and chisel etc. I don't think anyone has opened it without smashing it yet.

The window pin is a scary little ****, it will come out in the end, it's just a matter of holding your nerve,lol. It sounds like you have the right thing to me.

You'll be pleased to hear that the front door doesn't have the same pin, it has two clamps which are easy compared to that. :)

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
The fronts are easier to change than the rears. The disc has to be punched out on the rears so be careful you don't punch through and damage the door skin or smash the window.

Here is the link to change the front locks, if you get a butyl strip you can seal the door panels afterwards so they never leak. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
You are correct about the white pin, slowly apply pressure and it will give, but be careful not to dent the outer skin on the door!

Mine dead locked itself, have a look at the new lock you have work out the movement of the dead lock latch, replicate the movement of them on your door, fi you can get to the module, and keep pulling the release leaver and it will go.

You do not need to smash it out.

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
Top tip for the pin , screw a bolt into the middle of it and pull it outwards towards your self eliminating any risk of damage or dropping it in the door skin ,
Same for refitting , use the bolt in the end of it to tap it in then unscrew your bolt and everybody wins

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Screwing a bolt into the pin worked for me on both my rear doors. Once the inner part of the pin is removed the outer should come out ok but have a bolt ready incase that needs the bolt treatment.
As for refitting insert the pin into the hole in the window first before refitting the window. Fit the inner part of the pin onto the outer part and push it in I used long nose plyers. Once that's in lower the window down into the window regulator and line up the plastic pin into the right position then give the window a night to locate into the window regulator. This way is much easier than trying to fit the pin once the window is in the regulator.

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
I don't know if you can do it on the leon due to door module controls but when the rear door lock locked on on our ibiza I looked up the wiring diagram and connected a battery drills battery to the trigger circuit wiring to that rather than a pulse it normally gets to unlock it so it constantly got the signal eventually it undeadlocked and I got the door open.
If you can get to the door lock wiring and unplug it from the control module wiring you could do the same. Thats what i did with the ibiza front door but that time had to give it a bit more of a kick from 18v battey off a drill to get it to unlock.

Other trick is get someone to keep pressing unlock and bang the exterior door handle with the palm of your hand and see if the lock comes to life..

Last edited:

Jack92

The way I managed to do it was where the pin was involved.
Got a screwdriver the same width as the inner pin and literally hammered it straight out, after the inner pin was out the outer one came out really easily.
It didn't matter about the pin going into the door as I had to take the whole thing apart anyway to get the lock module out.

As for getting the door dead lock off was actually really easy. All I did was put a screwdriver under the hook on the inner door handle cable and while pulling on it kept pressing the unlock bottom on the remote. Worked second time and the door just swung open :)

Did see some people hit the module at the same time as doing what I did and that worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members