What Gearbox oil do I need

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
Hi guys

Starting to get a little whine in my gearbox in 1st and 2nd gear what oil do I need to put in my gearbox ? And has anyone got any tips ? Is it a nightmare to do ?

Thanks in advance

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
What engine / gearbox do you have exactly as it may be down to wear in the shaft which can resolved by adding a shim very cheaply and easily?
Is noise more noticeable on deceleration?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

andycupra

status subject to change
to do the gearbox oil you will probably have to buy the right tool, its a spline type with hole/recess in the middle.

its a very simple procedure, but you need to have the car raised up and level.
you top up via the fill hole, and once the level has reached the fill hole (so fill till it flow out of the fill hole).

however, this may well not fix the issue. the shim mod seems to be more successful.
cant remember the gearbox oil needed, ring a dealer or GSF etc.

Last edited:

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
What engine / gearbox do you have exactly as it may be down to wear in the shaft which can resolved by adding a shim very cheaply and easily?
Is noise more noticeable on deceleration?

Thanks for the reply boys Okay are you able to tell me more about the shim fix ??

It's not loud by any means but now I know it's there I'm always listening for it lol and yes it is slightly louder on de acceleration

Many thanks

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Main dealer, TPS or Sere Motors on here who actually have them for sale on eBay as well.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Very straight forward, just make sure you've got a decent pair of long nosed circlip pliers to hand.
You may find there's a small amount of oil behind the cap but nowt to worry about so just have a rag ready.

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
Very straight forward, just make sure you've got a decent pair of long nosed circlip pliers to hand.
You may find there's a small amount of oil behind the cap but nowt to worry about so just have a rag ready.

Awesome thanks for your help mate I don't have a pair of them can I just use anything that is able to get behind it and flick it out ?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It may be possible but personally i wouldn't take the risk of damaging the existing clip as it'll make the job 10x harder.
I like tools that make my life easier though.

Tom3593

Mar 19, 2016
It may be possible but personally i wouldn't take the risk of damaging the existing clip as it'll make the job 10x harder.
I like tools that make my life easier though.

Hi mate just had a look at my gearbox and there isn't abit that comes off like the Circular bit where the bearing would be ???? I have a picture on my phone of my gearbox but god knows how to get it on here so you can see it

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Oh in that case you can't utilise the shims as far as I'm aware as they're only designed for the 02M gearbox.
This is why I asked what engine and gearbox you had the beginning....

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
As for posting images you'll either need to host them online then copy the URL or do as I do and use Tapatalk on my phone which allows images to be posted very easily.

Last edited: