Mk3 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 20v, New Owner! Kerbside rebuild :)

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Hello guys,

After alot of looking at my housemates and other mate ibiza cupra's, an opportunity arose for me to jump on the band wagon to get some of this turbo fix i'v been longing for. So we have 2 black one's and a yellow one between us lol.

I swapped my mk4 golf 1.9tdi for a nice black mk3 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 20v. Quite a tidy shell, It has a forge FMIC, ko3s turbo with some aftermarket actuator and a CM TIP (il get to that), 3" exhaust system with sports cat, and a forge dump valve it also has a stage 2 remap (only a receipt, no printouts etc). However it is suspected that the turbo has been changed after this map so not sure if it is running right because of this.

Unfortunately, the bugger never ran right from the moment i got it, seemed ok on test drive, but moment guy left and i set off.....limp mode after boosting for about 5 seconds :rofl:

It ran really rough on idle, so a scan with the old vagcom uncovered a faulty crankshaft sensor, replaced this and still no joy, scanned again which flagged a camshaft sensor, replaced this and still no joy, after a prod about and looking at some pipes i found a fairly badly split crankcase breather pipe from inlet manifold to pcv, patched it (for the meanwhile) which sorted the rough idle.

However still boost problems, limp mode after a short burst of boost. Anyways time for mot, failed emissions......time to pull her apart.... removed bumper, fmic, all pipes related to this, deleted SAI whilst in there for a bit of extra space. Next came the tip, it was clear that whoever fitted it had made a poor job, all the inlets to it had been cut i assume for extra space or that it was a poor fitting TIP, my friend and i both suspected that this could be a source of boost leak, once i got everything out of the way i gave the tip a good pull and off it popped much to my surprise :wtf:

So now i have everything i want out of the way the next job is to drop the exhaust and turbo off, to fit a new actuator as one currently in has been "clagged" on to existing bracket and seems very very stiff, and also vagcom has flagged up the maximum charge pressure code which we suspect is an actuator issue coupled with TIP hanging on for dear life. Going to check the sports cat whilst its off as this could also be source of emissions fail im guessing?

I shall post some pics up as i put everything back together if the forum will allow. I guess some questions i have for you guys would be is there anything else worth doing whilst iv got her in bits? Cheap and cheerful, have not got an awful lot of cash to spend, just trying to make do with what i have. Can boost leak be a source of emission failure? Does the Creation Motorsports tip have a rep for being poor fitting and is it best to go with a forge one?

Thanks in advance guys, look forward to hearing from you's! :)

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Update

So after some blood sweat and tears, iv managed to drop the exhaust off the car along with the turbo.... The CAT is rattling around inside the pipe => broken CAT - I have a 3" blueflame with sports cat en route.

Also before i began this i knew i was loosing coolant from somewhere, which turns out to be the coolant feed on the turbo there is a section of entrance (where the feed screws in to turbo) has cracked off and i believe coolant has been leaking from here. Any way to fix this? Or just chemical metal and try and fix?

Also i have removed Inlet manifold and soon to remove rocker cover, these are going for a blasting and powder coat. I expect to be starting puitting everything back together in the next 10 days or so once all parts have arrived. I shall try upload some photo's of the whole process :)

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Im working on it, currently gathering parts :D, love that bit lol. Will post some pics up once i start putting it all back together :D

Lee_car

Jul 4, 2016
Im working on it, currently gathering parts :D, love that bit lol. Will post some pics up once i start putting it all back together :D

Sounds like it will be a good un when done, I like the buying parts bit as well, most of the time I never get round to fitting them but enjoy the searching lol

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Ok, wee update! So i have sourced most of my parts:

Forge TIP (red) Courtesy of smiffymk3 - He is breaking a mk2 facelift (mk3), contacted him via the classifieds section - great seller and pleasure to do business with!

New Expansion bottle and coolant.

New Inlet to PCV Hose.

Blueflame 3" Downpipe with sports cat.

Various Gaskets etc.

Away to delete the air con this afternoon.

I have a round of pics which im gonna try put up this arvo :):p

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Well well, air con deleted, wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. Worst part in my opinion was removing the cooler as its got some bugger of a bracket which hooks round the radiator to hold part of the A/C system. If Anybody is deleting their air con anytime soon, get your self a nice sharp drill bit for boring out the 5 rivets that hold that bracket on and off it pops no problem at all.

Definitely much more room to move in the bay now tho, :)

Fitted new Expansion Tank, probably should have waited but was getting awfully bored of constantly stripping bits off her!!! That said tho, that is the last pieces to come off, So....LEt the rebuild begin!!

Unfortunately cant post pics as not a full member yet, but will keep updating the thread as i progress through it. Hopefully put a string of pics up at end, any questions about anything please ask and il try my best to help :)

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Ok so, turbo is now back on (with a lot of effing and blinding), and have now managed to attach the Forge TIP, that was a bit of a ballache but got it there tonight. Got Friday off so 3 days of putting her back together and HOPEFULLY il be ready for the an MOT next week :D. Fingers and toes well and truly crossed :). Moving ever so closer to the 15 post mark so hopefully get pics of the whole Process up by end of weekend. Running out of daylight hours and time, and weather to keep using the bike for work (getting a bit too cold and wet for hitting back road corners at 60 on 2 wheels lol) so a few things like powder coating etc have been shelved for now :/....but needs must!

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
So Far......

Well this will be the post that lets me do so :D.

Tbh, she aint no show car thats for sure lol. But once back together and a good polish it will ook pretty decent in my eyes.

Things left to do are;

Fit BlueFlame Sports cat and rest of exhaust, Iv cleaned the inlet manifold (best i can) So put that back on and all associated parts, FMIC and piping, Dumpvalve etc for TIP, Shorter fan belt (after removing air con pump), Driveshaft back in, Brake back on. New Coolant, new oil. Drop a battery in her and pray lol.

Was going to be relocating battery to boot also but just wanna see it MOT'd for now as winter is coming......

So MK3 Ibiza Cupra Turbo

Ko3s
Forge TIP
Forge FMIC
Forge Recirc Valve 007p
Air-Con Delete
N249 Bypass
Secondary Air Intake Delete
BlueFlame 3" Front Pipe w/sports cat & 3" System to back
Glovebox Mounted Head unit

The Wishlist:

Powder Coated Rocker Cover - Shelved til next year
Powder Coated Inlet Mani - shelved til next year
Dump Valve Relocation - might possibly have one of these en route
Battery Relocated to Boot - Xmas Holiday Project
Catch Can - Posibly Xmas Holiday project
Mintex Drilled/Grooved Discs and associated Pads - Xmas present to myself :)
Coilovers or the like - Shelved til next year
Strutbraces everywhere possible - AS and when i can get them cheap enough.

Any other suggestions are welcomed :D

Car did have coilovers on it but one of them was knackered and originals came with car so just put them back on. As i say it was in a sorry state when i got it. Just trying to spruce her up and save her from the breakers lol.

Now some questions i have: The car has a "stage 2 remap" on it, doesnt appear to be a custom one, i only have receipts for it from some garage up this way. I believe it was mapped like this with the ko3 turbo? Is that even possible and how much will it affect the running of it with the ko3s on instead? I wondered if that would contribute to an emissions issue also? I spoke to the company and told them the mods i had on and they started talking about "oh u'l need a stage 4 map etc" so needless to say i dont think il be using them when it comes. Any ideas on this would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Ok, so iv had a a couple of setbacks :cry:

Put everything back together, poured water in (temporary coolant) to check for leaks, and low and behold the turbo coolant feed was leaking heavy, and my radiator appeared to be burst. Unknown how that has happened, believe it has just rotted away after being sat exposed with no water in it for so long.

As for the turbo, tried to nip up the banjo bolt after disconnecting turbo from manifold and bottom bracket, and it appears i have stripped the thread on the turbo as the banjo now does not tighten.

My mate and I both suspect that the ko3s turbo that came on it isnt a genuine one, and its now broke so the ko3 is going back on tomorrow with a new radiator. and hopefully she'll be good for an mot by the end of play tomorrow. Will post an update and upload pictures of the process shortly. the car is mapped to a ko3 so its mayb a blessing in disguise for the mot, time will tell.

Just gutting having to undo everything iv achieved recently, but i will have had it on and off twice now so time will tell if iv got quicker at it lol!!

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Grrr, still failing wildly on emissions!!! Tried new lambda sensor with no difference either, suspect its been mapped out.

Readings for CO are 4.8% and above (the limit is 0.2% LOL)
Lambda reading is too low
Hydrocarbon readings too high

Surely thats a mapping issue? Anyone offer some advice?

19djb87

Sep 15, 2016
Where did u get lambda from?

Non genuine ones dont last long

Yeah I have heard that, that said tho, I ordered an FAE one using the ETOS part number for car. But right now the mechanic myself and my friend all reckon it's been mapped out, as changing the lambda did absolutely nothing for readings which makes me think it's mapping issue? Iv read on another thread that the bypasses can affect the emissions? Just want her back on the road now lol. Il also add that it's driving a hell of a lot better and boost guage seems to have settled down which is a step in the right direction :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.