Stop/Start advice

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I'm just after a bit of advice please. Still getting used to the Stop/Start thingy as I've never had it before. It keeps stopping when I don't particularly want it to i.e. pulling up to junctions and a quick look and off. Is there a technique to it, other than turning it off? I quite like the idea for traffic lights and longer waits, it's just the brief ones causing me grief.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Keep your the clutch pressed down if you don't want it to activate.

As soon as you go into neutral and lift the clutch it will activate.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Best technique is, to switch off start/stop system immediately after engine start (by button on A/C panel) and switch it on on longer reds manually.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Best technique is, to switch off start/stop system immediately after engine start (by button on A/C panel) and switch it on on longer reds manually.

Thanks, might give that a try if I can't fathom a proper technique under normal driving.

Dan_FR_DSG

Jan 16, 2008
Basingstoke, Hampshire
On ours if you press the brake pedal lightly (just enough to stop the car from rolling) then Stop/Start does not kick in. If you press the brake pedal further then the engine stops.

Exactly as above. It's all about controlling the brake pedal. Keep it at 50% and it keeps the engine going.

Still freaks me out when the engine cuts out without coming to a complete standstill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
It is funny that s/s system works on the same car differently.

I read here a lot posts where users (with petrol&manual, the same I have) wrote their s/s cuts off engine not at full stop but at very low speed already (2kmh).
Mine cuts off just after full stop and even then there is a small time delay, 0.2s. Mine s/s system never cuts off when wheels were moving.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Thanks for your help. Yes, wheels only stopped for a fraction of a second and then engine stops. Not after hard braking either. Trying to feather the brakes but still not managed to get the hang of it.

mattb82

Aug 13, 2016
Tamworth
The stop/start is a real pain with the dsg. The only way I found I could cheat it was not to come to a complete stop and let it creep forward while tickling the brake pedal, but that doesn't feel right treating the clutch like that. It gets switched off as soon as I start the engine now. Who needs to save 7p in fuel anyway!

page3

Dec 25, 2015
On my DSG it switches the engine every off whatever pressure I put on the brake. Often the engine is off before I've even come to a stop.

On my colleagues DSG which is a couple if years older, it appears to be less vicious and controllable with the brake pressure.

On mine I now disengage it as part of my startup routine.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Thanks chaps, much appreciated. I thought I was being a numpty, but kind of reassuring that I'm not alone. I think I'll be switching it off straight after start up. Time to take some control back!

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
I hate the :censored: thing. I also switch it off soon as get in on my DSG FR. Sometimes though it decides to switch itself back on if I press the button too soon. Annoying!

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
When I took my petrol FR for its 1st service I asked if they could programme this feature out,
Dealer service manager said they could not. Service manager said he turned it off every time he started his! I asked if the starter and ring gear had be uprated to cope with this. Answer No!
The cynic in me says that the starter/ring gear will fail just after the warranty runs out.
Another interesting point is that it is recommended that a turbo engine is idled after a hard run to allow the turbo to cool before switching off so that the oil in the turbo feed doesn't carbonise.
So tear down the motorway and then get caught in accident or traffic and the engine switches off no idling to cool the turbo. I understand that there is a case, not Seat, where a manufacturer accused the owner of not carrying out this idling procedure and would not contribute to an early turbo failure on a car with the stop/start feature. Surely this must be conflict in correct operating the car and the stop/start.

Reactions: ajs14

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I do a lot of distance and always let my turbo slow back down afterwards, even if it's not with stop start I'll just sit with the car in neutral for 5 minutes so it can come back down to a rest rather than being all hot and bothered

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I do a lot of distance and always let my turbo slow back down afterwards, even if it's not with stop start I'll just sit with the car in neutral for 5 minutes so it can come back down to a rest rather than being all hot and bothered

Unless you have just done a foot to the floor red line drive (in which case you should let any engine be it Turbo or normally aspirated cool down a bit for the last mile or so for good reason) , it doesn't need 5 minutes ,your just wasting fuel, that is just a throwback to the 80 and early 90s when you really had to do that ritual, on modern turbo cars with modern oils and the cars turbos own dedicated run on cooling system it eliminate the need for wasting 5 minutes of your life ;) and most manufacturers make no mention of letting it tick over in normal ever day use to cool the turbo and most of the turbocharger manufacturers/ rebuilding companies say it's unnecessary unless your running stupid boost pressures.
If it still worries you a minute or so off boost driving before you stop at your destination would do fine :)

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Don't like start stop

I'm pretty much convinced start/stop will end up costing a starter motor and is more of a gimmick than anything. If in crawling traffic continually switching the engine off & on repeatedly can't actually be doing any good for associated components. It's principally a pain in the arse though, the biggest drawback of it.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
It's not the same as switching the engine off it just sort of suspends it temporarily that's why it turns itself back on if you'd "stopped" for a certain amount of time, if the engine can't cope with being in its stalled state it wouldn't turn off/would turn back on

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.