Need new suspension...suggestions?

Ibizatriple

Aug 27, 2016
The suspension on my 1.4Tdi has been shocking since I bought it. Rolls all over the place, bangs, knocks and crashes!

Took it to my mechanic mate who put it up on his ramp to check all the front end bushes. Surprisingly they are all 'as new' and there's no play at all at the front. Basically his diagnosis was my shocks/springs are well and truly shagged.

So what are my options? I can get 4 x shocks and springs from eurocarparts for around £200
Think they're made by Sachs but you don't know what you're getting till its fitted.

Direct from Seat would be £££££ and I've never heard much good about Ibiza suspension on a whole so don't fancy paying top dollar for crap suspension with a Seat sticker on it

Thought about fabia Vrs shocks/springs but the Skoda is a lot heavier at the front so might not be a great idea?

Any other options for around £200?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Sachs suspension is good stuff.
The vRS suspension is a good alternative for Sport/FR owners as it's abit more compliant than the Seat stuff, but as you're a 1.4 engine I don't know if it'd suit.

I don't think the 1.4 had the option of sports suspension so it's probably standard stuff, if it's banging about chances are it's a shock thats blown.
but changing the shocks, springs and top mounts will make it drive much nicer!

Last edited:

OvEr_KiLL

Apr 6, 2014
North West
Last edited:

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The suspension on my 1.4Tdi has been shocking since I bought it. Rolls all over the place, bangs, knocks and crashes!

Took it to my mechanic mate who put it up on his ramp to check all the front end bushes. Surprisingly they are all 'as new' and there's no play at all at the front. Basically his diagnosis was my shocks/springs are well and truly shagged.

So what are my options? I can get 4 x shocks and springs from eurocarparts for around £200
Think they're made by Sachs but you don't know what you're getting till its fitted.

Direct from Seat would be £££££ and I've never heard much good about Ibiza suspension on a whole so don't fancy paying top dollar for crap suspension with a Seat sticker on it

Thought about fabia Vrs shocks/springs but the Skoda is a lot heavier at the front so might not be a great idea?

Any other options for around £200?

Are you wanting to keep it standard height or go for a drop?

Damian @ DPM Performance

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
I have Vogtland and they're awful bordering on dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them for our roads.

They're also not as pictured; the shocks are yellow.

Last edited:

OvEr_KiLL

Apr 6, 2014
North West
I have Vogtland and they're awful bordering on dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them for our roads.

They're also not as pictured; the shocks are yellow.

why whats wrong with them? very very bouncey and not stiff enough? my st by kw are a little bouncier than stock but also firm if you hit a pot hole etc. the stock ones on my fr were too hard

i think damien will price match http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...biza;manufacturer=apsuspension;sub_category=1 as thats where i found my st by kw cheaper and he price matched it for me.

if you got the money go for the st by kw springs and shocks set if you havnt then go for the ap springs and shocks

Last edited:

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
why whats wrong with them? very very bouncey and not stiff enough? my st by kw are a little bouncier than stock but also firm if you hit a pot hole etc. the stock ones on my fr were too hard

i think damien will price match http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...biza;manufacturer=apsuspension;sub_category=1 as thats where i found my st by kw cheaper and he price matched it for me.

if you got the money go for the st by kw springs and shocks set if you havnt then go for the ap springs and shocks

I would imagine that the stock FR ones are similar or the same as the stock Cupra, so with that in mind, the Vogtland ones are a lot firmer than stock.... not enjoyable to drive on the roads we have, country road driving is incredibly unnerving.

Originally I wanted Weitec (now ST), but I needed to replace the standard shocks earlier than expected and Vogtland fit the budget at the time.

OvEr_KiLL

Apr 6, 2014
North West
I would imagine that the stock FR ones are similar or the same as the stock Cupra, so with that in mind, the Vogtland ones are a lot firmer than stock.... not enjoyable to drive on the roads we have, country road driving is incredibly unnerving.

Originally I wanted Weitec (now ST), but I needed to replace the standard shocks earlier than expected and Vogtland fit the budget at the time.

jesus, firmer than stock! :scary::scary::scary: i bet thats a rough ride! i drive on country roads too and my suspension is A LOT better now.
nice to know Weitec is ST which by KW :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.