New Ateca

Nick Bucks

Aug 20, 2016
Hello New member so please treat me gently !I do not find the on line brochure easy to decipher. From what I see I cannot have the SE Technology with the 1.4 petrol engine. Looks as if I have to choose the plain SE and add options to bring the spec up to the SE Technology level. I appreciate we are some weeks away from launch yet but are there any Seat dealers on the board who can confirm my understanding? Thanks to all.

Tell

Staff member
You can use the configurator on the Seat UK site, that's the de-facto way of doing it. The UK have left out Ateca options that other countries have.

The UK PDF shows that engine, 1.4 TSI Eco 150 PS is available on SE and XCELLENCE. The configurator you take off the Seat UK site and brochure.

The car is on pre launch and you can order one now so your local dealer will know all about it. The actual launch is 9th - 11th September in showrooms. There isn't a big Ateca following on this forum at the minute but there is elsewhere. There should be cars to be seen on those dates and from then on. In the meantime Seat have had a fleet of white LHD Xcellences which they loan out for a day to the dealers and other exhibition places during this "pre-launch". To me it seems that different dealers have used these cars differently.

Some brokers have fantasy discounts that vanish when you try to place an order but probably good enough to give you an idea of what discount you can expect less a couple of hundred if paying cash or via other loan methods. PCPs were not worked out until recently, possibly the last three weeks or so, so the pre launch period for a while didn't have any PCP offers that people could use who wanted to go that way. That's about it.

Last edited:

herbie147

Dec 24, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Had a test drive in one today. Was interested in a drive of the 190 DSG Excellence version, but had to do with the 150 manual instead.

It was a nice drive, I liked the ride and the weighted steering, felt very robust and refined.
However, the 150 bhp version felt a bit flat. Would have to see what the 190 version is like before I sign up!

Had a look on the online configuator and there is some tasty add on accessories - sport exhaust, front/rear styling kits and nice rims would be excellent additions.

If there was a Cupra version I would have probably signed there and then lol.

Tell

Staff member
There are some 190 DSGs about, one Gloucester way if I recall correctly. I did work out the PWR of the 190DSG v 150 manual both 4x4, the figures I recall were 120 and 115. I'm getting a 40 percent improvement on my Altea Sport DSG when I get my 190. No I don't need it in Cupra guise. Petrol DSG 4x4 would be good for when / if diesel is no longer attractive.

Xcellences come with twin exhaust. Possibly if there was a Cupra it would be in short supply as a chunk of the Ateca range is and people would be up in arms. Reassuring the build quality, it always looked solid enough each time I've seen it.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Had a look on the online configuator and there is some tasty add on accessories - sport exhaust, front/rear styling kits and nice rims would be excellent additions.

The front off road kit looks really good, but I'm not so keen on the rear one. The rear looks good anyway. Also, I understand that with that kit, the foot operated boot doesn't work.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
So I had a test drive in the Ateca today, SEAT has opened a new style shop in the Lakeside Shopping Centre in Thurrock, apparently the thinking behind it is that it's a departure from the normal Dealer experience. All the SEAT range is available to test drive for an hour with or without a SEAT representative, my wife and I opted to go out on our own and off we went. The car is very nice, comfortable with plenty of space, the only version available was the 1.0 Litre Ecomotive which was ok for a town or school run but I felt it would struggle with a full load, I was really hoping for a 1.4 ACT petrol which is the nearest to my Leon FR but apparently most of the demo Ateca's are either 1.0 litre petrol or diesels all in First Edition Trim which was ok but I missed the goodies from the FR.

I mentioned that I would be interested but only if they brought out the 1.4 ACT engine with a DSG box and they told me that a lot of people had said the same thing so it may be available from March next year. I have a suspicion though that it's probably going to be in Excellence Trim so probably quite expensive so will have to wait to see if there are any decent PCH deals next year.

Tell

Staff member
There are plenty of Atecas being bought in the UK but for one reason or another the action is on another board. The Ateca range released in the UK became more of a Swiss cheese when they pulled the 2WD TDI150 engine model and some were lucky enough in the UK in this process to get a free upgrade to 4Drive.

The petrol DSG version of the engine wasn't released in the UK. The Xcellence so far is only stuck with black leather seats and black roof and sides, the Irish can get black, brown leather and alcantara at "no extra cost", elsewhere in Europe much the same. Cappuccino colour never got to the UK.

Think Seat in the UK associate with petrol heads so since they couldn't dangle a big engine they didn't bother too much with a wide range. VW gives you choice, Seat in the UK limited it with the Ateca. Could be their market research model got screwed up so they didn't map their marketing clusters onto the model range. Listening to their CEO speak it did sound like something went wrong in the UK if it was all based on science. There is a big accessory catalogue now for people that want to customise their Ateca's in the true Seat lads style :). That seemed to be the fob for the Paris show demo model which I doubt they will build. If we don't make it, you can make it yourself.

I always thought that Seat had a problem with their marketing for the Ateca in the UK which seemed to say if you drive a Leon you will love the Ateca type of thing. It is appealing to non Leon owners who are placing orders and don't have the words FR in their vocabulary. Those internal door handles are lifted from the Altea which is where the Mk3 ones via Mk2 came from :).

tarpek

Nov 25, 2014
c5334dd572f0c896f46adfd390c7bd05.jpg

2.0 tdi excellence 4x4 panoramic roof... wow... nice car... very powerful... bulid quality is almost like vw...

mike55

May 31, 2010
Seat certainly look to have got the design pretty good.

I am looking to order one soon, but can't make sense of the safety & security optional equipment. The advanced comfort & driving pack plus has a small 2 against it meaning it is for DSG only. The only feature that relates to a DSG model is the Traffic jam assist. On a web site page it is only this aspect that has an asterisk against it. To get most of the non DSG features with other packs would cost at least £315 extra or even as high as £700 more, for all of them.

I have asked the dealer to clarify if I can have the £805 pack on a manual car. I am still waiting for an answer. Considering the fact that Seat list the Pedestrian protection & Emergency assist as standard features and optional extras, I am not convinced the brochure is correct.

Any one had any accurate info on this issue.

Tell

Staff member
Without rummaging about I think you are talking about the feature that grinds the car to a stop and only the DSG will do that, changing down. It's the one featured in the Seat promo with the women looking out of the window doing her hair in traffic. If the car stops in front it will self drive to a stop.

Traffic Jam ASSIST

http://www.seat.com/car-terms/t/traffic-jam-assist.html

I can't find the one of the women doing her hair but it's out there.

I ordered the super supreme with all the sauces.... put another way I was having DSG so ticked the box.

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
ACC can be used without DSG but Traffic Assist cannot as it will bring the car to a stop and start again which you can only do with DSG.

The UK configuration does seem odd as it quotes £500 or so for ACC when it costs about £120 in Spain as Cruise Control is standard as it is in the UK.

I assume that if you order the whole driver assist package you get everything apart from Traffic Assist. It seems to have moved to the point that if you want all the options, you must have DSG but at the same time, in the UK you can only have that on the top of the range model - crazy!

Tell

Staff member
The answer could be naturally Freddie. The UK Ateca range to me is a bit class inspired and assumptions are made as to what First Class is. Bound to include the dreaded leather with its undertones of non comfort and unfriendly sourcing. Mix and match should have been the watch word rather than saying you can only have this if you travel First Class. Those 1.4 engines with DSG aren't;). Alcantara isn't. Etc. I don't believe flexible manufactur couldn't have coped with a more diverse model range, the UK options were just inspired by the crazy assumptions of what is good and what is bad from one view point. This needlessly took away choice for no apparent reason. For me that was colour and those leather seats.

Last edited:

David_S

Oct 15, 2016
Just ordered my new Ateca. Only had an Audi A5 Coupe Black Edition for 4 months but due to changes in personal circumstances I really need something a bit more practical. I fell in love with the Ateca the first moment I saw it. I had a test drive of what I was told was a 1.4 which I thought was acceptable in terms of performance. It was only a bit later I the dealer said it was actually a 1.0 which I was surprised by. The handling was very impressive, just felt like an agile hatchback to me.

Anyway I've gone for a 1.4 Xcellence in Mediterranean Blue (awesome colour considering it's the only free one!). Options are Seat Sound, heated windscreen and 19" alloys. I don't believe all the hype about 19" wheels ruining the ride, my current car has 19" alloys that apparently ruin the ride and I can more than live with them. Plus the standard 18's on the Excellence look rubbish and considering the optional 18's cost more than the 19's it was a no brainer!

Initial build date is 7th December which is only 8 weeks (was expecting to wait until new year so pleased with this).

Cannot wait!

Last edited:

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Just thought I'd start taking a look around the Ateca forums. I've currently got a Leon SE 2.0 as my company car and it's due for renewal start of next year and work has added the Ateca to the list.

I can either get a 1.6TDI SE or a 1.6TDI SE Tech, so far leaning towards SE Tech, wish it was a 2.0 150 though.

David_S

Oct 15, 2016
New sighting of Ateca Cupra. Like the matte colour finish also.

Other than the quad exhausts it looks a bit boring in my eyes. And at £35k I think it's definitely going to need more than 286bhp to tempt buyers in to paying that sort of money for a Seat.

I mean let's face it you can get a Q5 S Line (albeit slower) for that sort of money.

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Other than the quad exhausts it looks a bit boring in my eyes. And at £35k I think it's definitely going to need more than 286bhp to tempt buyers in to paying that sort of money for a Seat.

I mean let's face it you can get a Q5 S Line (albeit slower) for that sort of money.

I see where you are coming from although, we can all compare what price you can get for other prestige cars. In this case you would be looking at a Diesel Q5 with maybe 150bhp and likely not alot of options. Which seems more dull to me.

If your talking about the SQ5 then again money wise they would be the same but probably a 3 or 4 year old car with no warranty and covered upwards of 60 - 70k.

I would never look to buy a car at list price anyway. We have seen through a broker the savings you can make on equally brand new cars. So who is to say this won't be available for £30K or below.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise