FR 184: Manual vs DSG

Manual vs DSG

• Total voters

zredarb

Oct 11, 2016
Hi Guys,

New member here!

I will be buying a new car this week due to a new job which comes with car allowance rather than company car.

I spent a long time deciding on what to go for, but I have finally come to the conclusion a Leon FR 184 is the right choice. Now the only thing left to decide is manual or DSG?

Tomorrow I will be test driving two 184s back-to-back, manual then DSG. Just curious to hear from some Leon 'veterans' as to your thoughts on the box?

I also intend on sticking a DTUK mod on, what experiences does anyone have of either box with a DTUK chip?

Thanks in advance!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I've had a few dsg cars now, I think they are great, unless it's a weekend toy or a track car I probably wouldn't have a manual gearbox again, especially with all the traffic these day, to me having a manual gearbox day to day would be like having a smartphone with a rotary dialer :D

zredarb

Oct 11, 2016
Thanks for the input!

Is the DSG good enough if you want to have some 'fun'?

Any thoughts on the paddleshift/semi-auto?

Thanks again.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I wanted a DSG when I bought mine but they didn't sell that configuration at the time.

Personally my next car will have DSG. Perhaps because it's a diesel it feels like 1st and 2nd manual gears are really short I would imagine a DSG would smooth that out, might just be me though!

Then again if your looking at performance mods you might prefer to be more hands on, in which case go for the manual!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I just ordered a manual 184, guess I'm old fashioned and prefer to feel like I'm driving it myself and not having it shift for me, I do a lot of country road driving and think the manual will make that more fun but like others have said most of it comes down to preference, see how you feel after the test drives and go with your gut

murcutt

Feb 12, 2014
I went DSG. It works well with the 184.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Thanks for the input!

Is the DSG good enough if you want to have some 'fun'?

Any thoughts on the paddleshift/semi-auto?

Thanks again.

I've had my Cupra DSG for about 10 days now and covered in excess of 650 miles already. I've been experimenting with the various settings and the last couple of days with the semi-auto and paddle shift. I'd have to say that it's superb and lots of fun, but something you have to put time into getting used to and not sure you'll do that on a test drive. All I'd say is that I've had all sorts of cars,(about 25 in total) and many so-called hot hatches/saloons with manual boxes in that lot, and this Leon is just on a different planet. I think the DSG has added to that and I'm so pleased I went with it. I can't see me having a manual ever again.

I did a track day a couple of weeks back driving a Lambo, Ferrari, 911 and a GTR and they were all paddle shift. It seems like the way to go as auto boxes are that good these days.

zredarb

Oct 11, 2016
I've had my Cupra DSG for about 10 days now and covered in excess of 650 miles already. I've been experimenting with the various settings and the last couple of days with the semi-auto and paddle shift. I'd have to say that it's superb and lots of fun, but something you have to put time into getting used to and not sure you'll do that on a test drive. All I'd say is that I've had all sorts of cars,(about 25 in total) and many so-called hot hatches/saloons with manual boxes in that lot, and this Leon is just on a different planet. I think the DSG has added to that and I'm so pleased I went with it. I can't see me having a manual ever again.

I did a track day a couple of weeks back driving a Lambo, Ferrari, 911 and a GTR and they were all paddle shift. It seems like the way to go as auto boxes are that good these days.

Thanks for the in depth feedback - I know th chap down at Seat so hopefully I can have a decent test drive and put the DSG through its paces

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Will do - the reasons?

There's another thread about it, stop start works by putting the car in neutral and taking your foot off the clutch, putting it back on the clutch turns the engine back on, dsg doesn't have a clutch so f knows how that works out

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
There's another thread about it, stop start works by putting the car in neutral and taking your foot off the clutch, putting it back on the clutch turns the engine back on, dsg doesn't have a clutch so f knows how that works out

Clutch pedal at least

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Just make sure you turn that stop start off ;)

Yes, Ben's right. That's one of the things I've been experimenting with!! I posted on it recently as I've not been able to get on with it. The DSG stop/start works on the brake. There's a button on the dash to turn it off. I've been doing that as I can't get on with it. The manual sounds much easier to control using the clutch.

Enjoy the test drives mate!

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I have a manual and like it bacause of start stop control but a dsg would be much better for acc. acc means the car is semi autonomous, but with manual you still have to change gear for it.

zredarb

Oct 11, 2016
Yes, Ben's right. That's one of the things I've been experimenting with!! I posted on it recently as I've not been able to get on with it. The DSG stop/start works on the brake. There's a button on the dash to turn it off. I've been doing that as I can't get on with it. The manual sounds much easier to control using the clutch.

Enjoy the test drives mate!

I wonder if anything can be done through VCDS to enable start stop only when handbrake & stationary for example.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.