BAM engine and 02M gearbox

Recont

Aug 28, 2016
Hello everyone,

Looking to upgrade for Cupra R 1M and having some doubts about reliability of engine and gearbox. LCRs' are quite old now and only cars around 100K on clock fall into my budget, taking into account what these cars are made for, I do not want to spend money on shot Cupra or invest 000s' in engine or gearbox rebuild. Found some negative review about 02M gearbox-whine, crunch. Contacted one owner with 68k LCR and he said he has whine and crunch on 3rd gear when coasting.

Thank you

Recont

Aug 28, 2016
The 3rd gear whine is easily fixed by changing the shim:

Otherwise the gearbox and engines are very solid and reliable.

Thank you for reply!

Hmmm, would it whine and crunch on all gears then if it was loose bearing on one of main shafts or so?

Is mileage of around 100k ok for LCR if it was maintained according to manufacturers recommendations considering most of LCR have cat-back and stage 1?

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
a bearing does not cost much even if it is the shaft with all the gears on that needs replacing . when a gearbox whines its because the teeth on each of the gears or even just one main gear have chipped you could get new parts put in the gearbox but are you intending on keeping the car for 170 to 200.000 miles on cars years ago a noisey gearbox was down to chipped teeth on one or more gears or damaged sychromesh .rover gearboxs just explode the diff and the gearbox casing when theyre at the failure point. a bearing is a low cost part for peace of mind.as long as you have the spare time and tools.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
The gearboxes are crunchy when cold and often have 3rd or 5th gear whine. I had 5th gear whine for over 90000 miles until I put the shim in which quietened down the gearbox and made it smoother, however the gearbox needed a bearing repair a year later which may have happened anyway or may have been because of the shim.
The gearbox needed a main bearing repair at 183000 miles at a cost of £600

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
I have just got 115k on my Cupra R and the 3rd gear whine has appeared. Will be shimming it up in the next few weeks. I've had no engine issues really apart from a coil pack going that's it in 45k miles since I bought the car.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.