Cupra 280 Neuspeed Bush Insert review

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Of course if modification is done they will blame it, maybe the bolt had been over tightened.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Well since these are literally directly linked, it's not far fetched to suspect the insert and the reduced flex/increased force. Although the wheel hop the insert counteracts is also all but kind to the linkage. So might very well be what it was, a warranty case.

About overtightening, some installation manuals say 100Nm and others 100Nm + 1/4 turn. That is quite a difference, what does a VAG service manual state?

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
First impressions of the 034 billet insert. To me, definitely a noticable NVH increase: engine buzzes as if Cupra engine mode is on, but now accompanied by vibrations though pedals as soon as any throttle is given. Will give it some more time but for now I'm not sure at all I'll keep it...

Apparently I had version 2 that had an issue. There is a fix described here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=7762506

I did it a bit differently and just shaved the front corners.

Here my second attempt where you can see where it makes most contact:
i-hfT6GV5-X2.jpg

And the third attempt which is on the car now showing the chamfer and how the tab is a bit bent already - no harm as long as it sits in there I suppose: EDIT: Update: it has bent more and now there is quite some play and wheel hop again
i-MMmCdhz-XL.jpg

In place:
i-t9XD649-X3.jpg

Vibrations and noise are down massively, but still noticebly higher than stock but now in an enjoyable manner.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Apparently I had version 2 that had an issue. There is a fix described here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=7762506

I did it a bit differently and just shaved the front corners.

Here my second attempt where you can see where it makes most contact:

And the third attempt which is on the car now showing the chamfer and how the tab is a bit bent already - no harm as long as it sits in there I suppose:

In place:

Vibrations and noise are down massively, but still noticebly higher than stock but now in an enjoyable manner.

My version 2 turned out to be broken when I had a look, new revised unit on its way in the mail :whistle:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Cheers for the heads up. Narrower and the bottom looks thicker/stronger. I'll ask for one too.

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure I like the metal insert, the area of the front tab is quite small now, how will the rubber cope long term? Might try the Neuspeed after all, any updates since using it a longer time?

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Full circle, been driving with the Neuspeed insert for the last five days and like it very much for my use.

While the 034 was quiet at idle, as soon as you applied some power/torque you could hear additional engine noise and especially added gearbox and turbo whine. At first I kinda liked it but then grew weary from it as that little tab literally catches on to the outside of the bushing from a certain load, and at every time pulling away. This point of engagement changed as the insert had bent, to a higher load. Either way I started to dislike it especially during daily driving, the stepped increase in noise gave me the idea that I was 'forcing' the engine, not a robust feeling.

With being under the car five times already and coming to understand the geometry and forces at work, I decided the Neuspeed insert was worth a try. It is one of the softest and unlike most, it has a little bridge between the two long protruding 'teeth', quite alike the little front tab of the 034 insert. Review of the countless reviews revealed that the only complaint most had was added NVH in reverse and from the AC. It fitted my version 2 mount (using silicon grease) and I did notice that reverse vibration and decided to modify the insert by cutting away some of the large area on the rear side, which improved things.
i-H9GRGVD-X2.jpg

Now basically, its presence is not heard at all, no added noise, harshness and the little extra vibration when pulling away is easily mitigated by just adding a little more throttle. Under load there is no added noise noticeable, or at least much much less then the 034, much to my liking. Now I can still accelerate rather briskly yet effortlessly whithout passengers asking where that airplane flying over is.
When provoked in the wet or dry, I can still can get the wheel hop but maybe at a fourth of the intensity, I never got near the feeling that now something is going to break as it did before.
Basically it works well to make the whole mount more solid and less flexible, but still let it do it's work in filtering out NVH very well.

Old 034 and just tested whole and greased Neuspeed
i-Xzrw32t-XL.jpg

P.S: there is a YouTube review of the Neuspeed, the guy claims it was burnt and the bottom plate bent, but he doesn't understand what he's talking about. The black isn't burn but the rubber of the mount that colours the insert, the even spread actually shows how well forces are spread over a large area instead of on a little metal tab. The slightly bent and thin plate keeps the insert in place without causing interference due to the bushing movement as it purposefully is allowed to be bend away a little.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
I got the 034 since people told me that the Neuspeed would give me alot more NHV, now it turns out it's the other way around... Great to know but I'm not sure I will be putting down another £70 (?) for this. Pretty disappointed with the 034 NHV though, now riding without it but with new PSS's mounted the wheel hop is a bit better than stock.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Some middle ground solution? How hard is that red (urethane?)? Still very pleased with the Neuspeed so far. Only time will tell for durability...

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Now been driving a couple of weeks with the revised version 2 034 insert, alot less NHV! Haven't checked though if this bends and cracks like the old one. Very happy with this now :thumbup:

ganfarr

May 3, 2016
Fitted the version 2 034 dogbone insert the other day.
More than happy with the loss of axle tramp. Can't believe Seat can sell a car that behaved that badly under hard acceleration.
Have had my 290 ST Cupra fitted with Pirelli pzeros for just over a month now and it was the only thing spoiling my experience of the car.
Not really noticing any excessive NVH, but haven't driven the car much.
Very simple 5 minute job to fit when I got under the car courtesy of a friendly local car mechanic's ramp and his impact wrench to get the bolt out.
Just got to remember to take it out in 2 years when it goes back to the lease company :)

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
Recently received my 290 ST having previously had a Golf R7. I honestly enjoy the ride in the 290 better than on the R7. However, under acceleration the bang/wheel hop is ridiculous. Will eventually purchase some sticky tyres, but that won't be until the summer. In the meantime I want to purchase one of these mounts. Just not sure which one to opt for? Your input is welcome

Reactions: missmouse

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
From my experience even with better tyres and inserts, neither can kill the hop completely. It can still occur in specific combinations of grip and acceleration but it becomes less likely to occur the better the grip. The inserts mainly reduce the amplitude and hopping becomes a lot less violent.

Still pleased with the Neuspeed almost half a year later. My review posted here above is still valid.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
It seems to be a matter of taste, I had both too and did not like the added noise of the 034 even after amending the design faults that my version 2 had. From an engineering point of view, I don't like the small area of the metal tabs on the 034 that catch on the rubber of the outer bushing and much prefer the larger area of urethane of the Neuspeed.

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
Thank you both for your input. I'm thinking Neuspeed, but don't want to dismiss the 034 motorsport mount. Guess it is simply a matter of taste. Only one way to find out. At least it's not an expensive mod. Will hopefully pick one up via Vagtuner this weekend.

ganfarr

May 3, 2016
Might have to give the Neuspeed a try too.
Had my first long motorway run the other week and did get some unwanted noise cruising at speed, but not sure if that's the car and low profile tyres or not as hadn't run like that without the 034, as the only dual carriageway I'd run on currently near us has 50mph average speed cameras...
Hard to compare noise with my last car being a Jag XF. Even on 19" rims it was the most relaxed mile eater I've owned.

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
Held back from purchasing the Neuspeed insert as I heard Powerflex were releasing an insert. However there are several variants & I don't have a clue which one to opt for. Anybody pulled the trigger on any of the Powerflex versions?

Reactions: missmouse
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.