Mk 2 Leon FR missing air box

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Hi guys

Bought my 09 170 Leon to take it for a remap to be told it's already been remapped and that the air box is missing, can only think that the guy before had something he bought there and took it off when sold the car
Can I just buy a cone, K&N for example and put it there or do I need the box so the air comes through the grill straight into it??

Or can I just leave it like it is??

Can't upload photos yet

But I have the link to Dropbox if anyone wants it

All help really appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
You can buy a k&n bolt on filter but most do prefer the panel filters but then you would have to source a box

Thanks

Yeah it's the box I don't have, been told to go to a scrapyard but I want to know until I source a box or a filter, I'm not going to cause any issues driving my car with nothing on
I read with nothing it's sucking in crap and warm air from the engine when it should be clean cold air

Also read that with a k&n filter I can gain 3-7 bhp, but other said it's not true, my cars a Leon 170 with stage 1 remap, will a filter give me a gain in bhp??

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah, obviously don't even think about driving it without a filter..... Even microscopic bits of dust will be damaging the engine every time you drive it. Anything bigger than a grain of sand will probably instantly destroy your turbo too.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Air filter like K&N will do nothing for power really, only add noise.

I would stick with a standard set up and stick a pipercross panel filter in if you really want one.

I've had an S2000 filter on mine (still have it in the garage) but all it did was make it sound like Darth Vader was under the bonnet haha

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Air filter like K&N will do nothing for power really, only add noise.

I would stick with a standard set up and stick a pipercross panel filter in if you really want one.

I've had an S2000 filter on mine (still have it in the garage) but all it did was make it sound like Darth Vader was under the bonnet haha

Just had the stealer where I bought it from on the phone and he said that I still have the air inlet boxx it's at the left side of the pipe and what's missing is st the right side of the pipe and my cars fine to drive although on here someone said don't drive it, wish I could post pics

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Excellent, thank you, top pic I'm missing the black box to the right of the green thing, I only have to black pipe left of the green thing
Spoke to where I bought the car and he said the air inlet box is at the beginning of the black pipe and that the box im missing isn't the air inlet box like I first thought , said that what I'm missing only cost £17 and the cars fine to drive without it, unlike I was led to believe not to drive it without this black box that attaches to the grill

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Yeah car will be fine to drive, just won't be getting the correct air flow.

The green stuff is tape as the box rattles like a b*tch at 1500rpm lol.

A new one shouldn't rattle though.

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Yeah car will be fine to drive, just won't be getting the correct air flow.

The green stuff is tape as the box rattles like a b*tch at 1500rpm lol.

A new one shouldn't rattle though.

Thank you Daniel, so I will have the air inlet box at the beginning of the pipe, I'm just missing this black box at the end and this is probably because the previous owner might of upgraded and put something there and took it off when he sold it
Is this where I would put a cone filter for example??

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Can't be too many more posts and I can put up my picture

Dealers called me this morning and have the box I need, cost £17 they said but I'm wondering putting a cone like u have, does that just change the sound and that's all??

t121anf

May 14, 2004
More noise, but it'll also be sucking hot air.

It looks like the bit your missing is before the filter, a bit of tube to direct cold air to the airbox containing the filter.

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
More noise, but it'll also be sucking hot air.

It looks like the bit your missing is before the filter, a bit of tube to direct cold air to the airbox containing the filter.

Yeah that's exactly it, going to collect it on Saturday, they said it looks easy enough to fit and it's costing me nothing

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
Someone said u can gain 3-7bhp changing the standard for something else or is that if u put an induction kit on??

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
The standard air filter set up is generally quite good hence why a lot of people replace the standard panel filter with a pipercross one.

When I had the S2000 filter on I didnt notice any drop in performance, also the noise isnt like that you find by adding one to a petrol engine car. It's more like constant sucking of air/darth vader type sound.

Sure there's a video of mine in my Readers Ride thread.

Chrisuk80

Oct 10, 2016
75c97a81056a595ab780213e23f07ae9.jpg

Mine

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members