How far to clear the DPF

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I was doing a 40 mile each way to work and home for 6 months. It was 30 mph until the last 12 miles which were motorway. I usually did 60mph in 6th on the last 12 miles and once a week I would arrive at work with the blower on overrun after engine stop.

Coming home the 12 motorway miles were first so I never had a regen overun when getting home.

I found that 10 minutes of constant speed above 50mph in 6th would trigger a regen.

I only use non-supermarket fuels, mainly regular BP

These days my car does short runs and will do a forced regen nearly every other day. I do a 20 mile run down a dual carriageway to see my son and hold it at 50mph on cruise control in 5th not 6 th and this stops the forced regen for a week or so.

I am not sure that clogging it around all the time is the best way to do things

Deano3

Sep 28, 2016
After work today I took on motorway doing 70mph in 5th for about 15 mins had to slow down every so often and when parked up didn't have fan running, seems like they have come along way with passive regeneration how it does it without you knowing. Hopefully if do a run out once a week will be fine and if light ever comes on I will give it decent blast out, with trucks etc you get a soot level on dash so can see exactly how blocked it is that would be good idea

I imagine some people just wait till light is on then give a blast out

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

foad88

Oct 19, 2016
Hey everyone,

If you have an odbii bluetooth dongle, there is an app called 'vag dpf'

Will show the current state of the dpf, the amount of soot that currently resides inside the dpf and how full it is.

It also shows when there is a regen happening, and view how hot the exhaust fumes are, and see the soot reading go low.

I just did a dpf drive after about 350km, it was reading 80% with 20g of soot. motorway driving above 40mph between 2000-2500 revs activated the regen and you can see the readings go down. It took about 15 minutes, and now reads 5g of soot and 10%.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Hey everyone,

If you have an odbii bluetooth dongle, there is an app called 'vag dpf'

Will show the current state of the dpf, the amount of soot that currently resides inside the dpf and how full it is.

It also shows when there is a regen happening, and view how hot the exhaust fumes are, and see the soot reading go low.

I just did a dpf drive after about 350km, it was reading 80% with 20g of soot. motorway driving above 40mph between 2000-2500 revs activated the regen and you can see the readings go down. It took about 15 minutes, and now reads 5g of soot and 10%.

Where is the best place to get this odbii bluetooth dongle then ? & is there an APP for the Iphone to use alongside this?
Thanks ;)

foad88

Oct 19, 2016

Deano3

Sep 28, 2016
Well the DPF light came on other day as car doesn't even get upto temperature on way to or from my work or my wifes so give it a blast down motorway 20 miles or so in 5th and 6th and went off hopefully stays out for a while until needs burnt off again, next time we both off going to give it a good run out and take bairns out for the day some were.

Hopefully shouldn't be a problem , are the DPFs covered under warranty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

andycupra

status subject to change
part of the issue is that DPFs, and diesels are more suited to higher mileages, but tax benefits mean that diesels became more attractive to people that dont do high miles due to a obsession with Co2.
now they realise their error and NOx (nitrogen dioxide) is now a massive issue as a result.
so now we have cars with duel use, or two seperate catalysts being fitted.. the energy and resources used in these, which have a limited life probably offsets the savings in use.

DPFs getting clogged is 99% due to incorrect use / incorrect application. the technology is actually designed for the DPF to get clogged, but then this gets burnt off when at high temperatures.
so the cycle is intended to be:
clog, clear, clog, clear, clog, clear.. and so on.
given the cycle will always start as 'clog' you can see the issue. the system designed in to help with this (regeneration) is an after thought and is compromised as often just as its happening the journey ends. there does come a point where its overclogged and the effectiveness of the regeneration reduces.

Last edited:

Leckenby155

Oct 16, 2016
My 2008 Leon dpf light used to come on now and again took it down the motorway for 10 mins and used to go of itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise