Leon Cupra mk3 290 water leak/ turbo timer ???

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Hi guys fairly new to the site but today I couldn't help but notice a puddle of water under my car after nipping to the office at work, I didn't think anything about it until I went tesco and decided to double check again, and to my astonishment there was a small puddle of water again. And then on the final trip to Sainsbury's (alcohol run again) there was a puddle dripping from what looks like the centre of the car engine, and obviously once I got home the same again.

The first thing I did was to check for it being oily or smelling which there was no odour and I even went as far to taste it off my finger Man and machine.

Bare in mind it's a 16 plate (5 months old) covered only 6k miles and is driven fairly nice I.e always drive it slow until at temperature and always allow the engine to run for 5 mins afterwards for a slow cool down, and never run on anything else other than vpower nitro +

It's going into seat tomorrow if I can get a few slot (the servicing department was closed when I just rang, but for peace of mind isn't there any else with the same sort of problem, or would know where to check the turbo timers water tank. I kinda thought it would have anti freeze in though but had no smell of it

Thanks guys

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Could it be condensation from the air conditioning/climate control unit?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Hard to say but it appears to be dripping where what I think is the engine mount( don't hold me to that though as I've yet to really have a proper nosey at the car and haven't had it up on ramps) but it looked like a engine mount to me.

And I never had the ac on just the blowers

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Right I've ran the car around got it to temperature and ran it with out the air con on for a minute, I've parked it up and taken a quick video the quality isn't perfect but you can clearly see the drip and where about it's kinda from bare in mind I've been parked up for about a minute as well . Have a look the video is on YouTube just search cupra 290 kane7

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
I meant it was ran with the air con OFF no blowers on what so ever

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
I've never noticed this be for this be for though, can't be condensation it's been to warm in the afternoon when I first noticed it. There not exactly the easiest car to get under though.

You would think though if it's the ac it wouldn't happen when it's not even on.

Best bets gonna be see what happens to it if it's a warm morning and try it then

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
When there is really a coolant leak and the level is getting too low you will get for sure a warning on your dash and in the car menu.
So check the level in the expansion container if it is below the low level indicator.

Last edited:

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi guys fairly new to the site but today I couldn't help but notice a puddle of water under my car after nipping to the office at work, I didn't think anything about it until I went tesco and decided to double check again, and to my astonishment there was a small puddle of water again. And then on the final trip to Sainsbury's (alcohol run again) there was a puddle dripping from what looks like the centre of the car engine, and obviously once I got home the same again.

The first thing I did was to check for it being oily or smelling which there was no odour and I even went as far to taste it off my finger Man and machine.

Bare in mind it's a 16 plate (5 months old) covered only 6k miles and is driven fairly nice I.e always drive it slow until at temperature and always allow the engine to run for 5 mins afterwards for a slow cool down, and never run on anything else other than vpower nitro +

It's going into seat tomorrow if I can get a few slot (the servicing department was closed when I just rang, but for peace of mind isn't there any else with the same sort of problem, or would know where to check the turbo timers water tank. I kinda thought it would have anti freeze in though but had no smell of it

Thanks guys

It's condensation from the AC

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
It bloody was as well, thanks all for the feed back. I did overthink it when I first saw it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.