LED footwell light blown a fuse

TeamBosie

Jul 24, 2013
Toddington, Beds
Hi guys,
I have installed red LED bulbs in to the foot well courtesy lights to give a little ambiemt lighting at night. I have bought some new Red LEDs and went to swap them over thinking I would make it a litter brighter down there. There was a funny little squeak and the LED flashed and that was the end of that. No lighting in the front footwells now, all other interior lights seem fine so I'm expecting it to have blown a fuse somewhere. Has any one had problems with cheap LEDs and does anyone know where I can find the fuse for the footwell lights?

Cheers,

Bob

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I had this exact issue when changing my glove box to led. I pulled put a few fuses and couldn't find anything blown. So I turned the led bulb over plugged it in again and it was fine.

TeamBosie

Jul 24, 2013
Toddington, Beds
Unfortunately for me turning over the LED will not fix it. I think its definitely blown a fuse. I'll look through the handbook and see if I can identify the fuse.

eoink

Jul 8, 2013
Ireland
Possible that you blew the LED's and not a fuse?

Also check out the discussion on this page for changes you might need in VCDS:
showthread.php?t=393714&page=30

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Have you tried sticking the original bulb back in. As others stated it would confirm if it's just the new led. Did you have led footwell bulbs prior to changing? I'm no expert but passenger bulb may be in series with drivers side so may be as a result of faulty led bulb.

Last edited:

TeamBosie

Jul 24, 2013
Toddington, Beds
I shall have a look this weekend and see if I can suss out whats happening. The original bulbs in the footwell were standard yellow 501s. They used to illuminate footwell at night so I changed them for red LEDs to match the rest of the night time lighting.

eoink

Jul 8, 2013
Ireland
What I did was to get a Red Felt tip pen and "paint" the clear plastic cover with it.
Works a treat, and no changing bulbs.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I think its definitely blown a fuse. I'll look through the handbook and see if I can identify the fuse.

Sadly fuses are not listed in the handbook, as I found out last weekend when I blew the cigarette lighter fuse.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
yeah I agree, its stupid not to list them, or at least list the main ones. I had to sit pulling each fuse until I found the blown one as didnt have internet access at the time to google it.

TeamBosie

Jul 24, 2013
Toddington, Beds
Morning chaps. Thanks for your help. Blown LED is the resolution. I found by recycling the ignition the other footwell LED worked as expected. Got a refund for the dodgy ones so i'll put the old LED back in again. Thanks guys!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
What I did was to get a Red Felt tip pen and "paint" the clear plastic cover with it.
Works a treat, and no changing bulbs.

Did this today, need to see how much difference it makes when SWMBO brings the car back, may do the glovebox too if ok.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.