Remap (I KNOW) Cupra 290

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
The 8% discount sound good . How did you get this . Cheers

I put the box in my shopping basket, input all my details and then didn't complete the sale. Got an email from them a week or two later asking why I hadn't completed the purchase and they said they would give me 8% off and sent me a code if I did.

They may do it if you just ask them....although this was before the pound fell so much so not sure if they can still afford to do it or not.

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
You're really not holding back are ya lmao . A week and 400miles in you've already got a tuning box installed.
Please do report your findings, do you plan to dyno it ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Doubt I'll be getting it on the dyno anytime soon. I did mash the peddle this evening on my way home. Roads were a little greasy, had the wheels spinning in first, second & a little in third. Wow, for a hearse this thing really gets going once you get the power down. Pleasantly surprised. Hoping to get a further few mods added over the coming weeks.

On a side note I tried getting the JB1 discounted to no avail from JB4Shop. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if prices increased slightly. I believe they are reasonably priced already for the kit you're getting. The customer service from JB4Shop was good too.

However I opted with NV Motorsports in the end as they were competitively priced (£375) & fairly local to me. The chap I dealt with Mabz, who has a crazy Cupra 280 himself, was really helpful & seemed to have a wealth of experience particularly with the MQB platform. They also had a few JB1's in stock with Map 6 set up specifically for the Cupra 280/290's. I opted for the JB1 rev2 (no custom Cupra map) as it has the option to upgrade to JB4 in the future. But on second thoughts, maybe I should have gotten the JB1 preloaded with the Cupra map. Either way I'm fairly chuffed based on initial impressions.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Doubt I'll be getting it on the dyno anytime soon. I did mash the peddle this evening on my way home. Roads were a little greasy, had the wheels spinning in first, second & a little in third. Wow, for a hearse this thing really gets going once you get the power down. Pleasantly surprised. Hoping to get a further few mods added over the coming weeks.

On a side note I tried getting the JB1 discounted to no avail from JB4Shop. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if prices increased slightly. I believe they are reasonably priced already for the kit you're getting. The customer service from JB4Shop was good too.

However I opted with NV Motorsports in the end as they were competitively priced (£375) & fairly local to me. The chap I dealt with Mabz, who has a crazy Cupra 280 himself, was really helpful & seemed to have a wealth of experience particularly with the MQB platform. They also had a few JB1's in stock with Map 6 set up specifically for the Cupra 280/290's. I opted for the JB1 rev2 (no custom Cupra map) as it has the option to upgrade to JB4 in the future. But on second thoughts, maybe I should have gotten the JB1 preloaded with the Cupra map. Either way I'm fairly chuffed based on initial impressions.

I hadn't heard anything about Rev2 not having a Cupra map (presume you mean Map 6?). I have rev2, connected the box to the laptop and have selected Map 6 from the drop down menu and everything seems fine.

With Rev1 box you needed to contact Burger Tuning and they would send you the Map 6 file to install yourself but I am sure Rev 2 has it already installed and George at Burger Tuning told me to select it in the forum I posted a link to above.

Last edited:

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
I hadn't heard anything about Rev2 not having a Cupra map (presume you mean Map 6?). I have rev2, connected the box to the laptop and have selected Map 6 from the drop down menu and everything seems fine.

With Rev1 box you needed to contact Burger Tuning and they would send you the Map 6 file to install yourself but I am sure Rev 2 has it already installed and George at Burger Tuning told me to select it in the forum I posted a link to above.

My apologies, you are correct. What I meant to say was the guys at NV Motorsports have put their own custom Map 6 for the 280/290 on the JB1 rev1.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
My apologies, you are correct. What I meant to say was the guys at NV Motorsports have put their own custom Map 6 for the 280/290 on the JB1 rev1.
Ah sorry.... Understood now. Be interesting to know how their custom cupra map differs from the Burger Tuning maps.

You running map 1 or 6?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

br.adam

Jul 8, 2016
Ah sorry.... Understood now. Be interesting to know how their custom cupra map differs from the Burger Tuning maps.

You running map 1 or 6?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Currently running the preloaded Map 1 on 4.8 boost setting I believe. Yet to connect the data cable.

Hopefully as a few more of us 280/290 owners begin experimenting & tweaking with Map 6 perhaps we can start posting what settings we're running.

Hoping to pop over to NV Motorsports in a few weeks so will ask the question.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Currently running the preloaded Map 1 on 4.8 boost setting I believe. Yet to connect the data cable.

Hopefully as a few more of us 280/290 owners begin experimenting & tweaking with Map 6 perhaps we can start posting what settings we're running.

Hoping to pop over to NV Motorsports in a few weeks so will ask the question.

Certainly need a few more on here to take the plunge. Golf R owners love it and I can see why now! Can't wait to get a dry day and take it for spin on some country roads.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
No :cry:
Believe me i did try but they wasn't having none of it:shrug:

Oh well, was worth a try. Was surprised when I got 8% off but now with the weak pound I guess any newer orders are even less likely to be discounted? It is worth every penny of the £379 price and when/if you want to sell it on you should get most of that back.

JB4 due out in December/January....don't know how much the upgrade will cost (or what extra features it gives) but there's a lot of excitement in the VW forums about it.

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
Oh well, was worth a try. Was surprised when I got 8% off but now with the weak pound I guess any newer orders are even less likely to be discounted? It is worth every penny of the £379 price and when/if you want to sell it on you should get most of that back.

JB4 due out in December/January....don't know how much the upgrade will cost (or what extra features it gives) but there's a lot of excitement in the VW forums about it.

Tried that on them saying that's out blah blah blah to no avail. But hey worth a try lets hope the box puts a smile on my face :p:p

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
After an 11th hour think i cancelled my order on the JB1. I'll wait until the car is out of warranty before going down the more power route just incase something does go pear shaped on the car at least i'll know it will be fixed no questions asked.
Was a tough decision but hopefully the right one....just 2 years to wait now........

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.