2008 FR Tdi Fan on when cold problem

Craigb

Oil burner
Feb 13, 2016
Hinckley, Leicestershire
Good Morning Everyone,
as per the title i have an issue with my Leon 1P, the problem has only started (i think) since i had the dpf removed and a stage 1 map.
The problem is when i start the car from cold the fan is running and no temperature is being shown on the dash even when driven for an extended time! but if i turn the ignition off and back on again the fans go off and the dash starts to read temperature. this happens first thing in the morning and when driving home from work if the cars been sat all day.
i'm hoping someone has had this issue and can shed some light on it please? :confused:

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
What do the fans do when you turn you aircon on? They should turn slowly.

I had fan/thermostat issue recently. New thermo cured the slow warm up and poor MPG. New 4 pin coolant temp sensor cured the fan issue and also increased the MPG even more.

Car is also running smoother.

My fan would come on when I switched car off after a driving. Would blast for about 30 seconds.

My car is Cupra, but think the fan issues can be similar.

Craigb

Oil burner
Feb 13, 2016
Hinckley, Leicestershire
Thanks for the reply Donny, i changed the coolant temp sensor (2 pin on diesel) and its still doing it. i haven't had the code cleared yet would this still cause it to happen?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
From what I gather, if the small fan fails, the large fan will come on all the time and fast. I think there's a controller in the small fan.

Are both fans on all the time?

Craigb

Oil burner
Feb 13, 2016
Hinckley, Leicestershire
I will thanks donny, forgot to say I had the codes read at rtech last Friday while the fans were on and it said coolant temp sensor, I replaced that but the faults still there. How long should I disconnect the battery for?

Craigb

Oil burner
Feb 13, 2016
Hinckley, Leicestershire
Final update,
I took the car back to R-tech for them to look at as they did the dpf removal and map as changing the coolant sensors did nothing.
Nicky cleaned the connections and reset the ECU adaptions and thankfully that fixed the problem. RESULT :D:funk:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.