FR184 acceleration 1600 to 1800Rpm Hesitation or cough

dannyshep

Drive to survive
Mar 15, 2009
Nottingham
So went into Seat Derby yesterday with a rattle from the rear disc and found a stone lodged between the disc and backplate. Whilst there i also enquired about a slight hesitation on acceleration around 1600 to 1800rpm. I got told by the technician that there is a few Fr184 with the same issue but no fix has yet been issued. Later that day i get the below email. Does this sound like a legit reason or am i being fobbed off?

Your technician (Nathan) has just heard back from SEAT on the engine issue (hesitation/loss of power) you discussed this morning, SEAT technical suggest this is “normal and usually happens between 1600 – 2200 rpm (and can happen higher up the rev chain depending on certain conditions)”.

The reason for this is the re-application of light throttle after overrun usually, this is flywheel protection – and cannot be coded out or turned off.

It is part of the basic programming of the engine ECU on the majority of ‘CR’ engines, and this has been the case for some years now, it is quite difficult to reproduce at will, but is quite normal for this vehicle.

Anyone else had this issue and have you received the same info from Seat?

Thanks
Danny

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
possibly but is it the same fault when letting the car run itself down a slight incline them applying some throttle yet there is little load on the engine for a few secs ??

dannyshep

Drive to survive
Mar 15, 2009
Nottingham
Not really noticed that. It's hard to replicate as it's a very intermittent issue but I'm not happy with the response. Think the only way i can think to fix is get it mapped, even then it's not a certainty as there may be a map override as they stated its protection of the dmf. Waiting for my warranty to run out before I decide to go down the remap route.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
possibly but is it the same fault when letting the car run itself down a slight incline them applying some throttle yet there is little load on the engine for a few secs ??

That happens to me everytime. I usually apply more throttle and it goes back to normal, but it's a little harsh. I have a 1.6 TDI 105hp.

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
I've found this happens a lot when you go up/down an ever so slight hill, nothing major, just a slight raise/lowering of the road. Apply slight throttle again and there it is, a moments hesitation.

I don't understand how they can claim that it's "hard to reproduce", as there was a bit of road I use to go on every day and I got quite good at knowing how to make the hesitation happen and how to avoid it.

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
There are other threads in the issue it's 'normal' my 63 plate 184 used to do it as did the courtesy 184s that I drove.

Looie

Apr 26, 2016
Harlow, Essex
I have this on my 1.4ACT FR - Pulling away in 1st usually, throttle pressed, rev counter goes to 1500 revs then when the clutch is brought up, it drop immediately to 1,000 revs and what acceleration I did have just goes - has caught me out quite a few times when pulling out into a busy road - am aware of it and hope the dealer can sort it when I take it in next.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.