Best tyres

Tomberto

Nov 10, 2016
Hello from a new member! Is there a consensus on which tyre is best for the mk3 cupra?

Front tyres need replacing (13k miles), currently Bridgestone Potenza 235-35-19.

Just considering summer tyres - if it snows I won't leave the house

Last edited:

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
Ive Continental sport 6s on after original Continental sport contact 5s wore down and say there a good tyre.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Yep, Mich Pilot SS are the tyre for the Cupra, no spinning and tramping anymore. Also Blackcircles have an offer on Mich tyres of 6 months interest free credit, great deal.

Damo7

Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for that. Mine is being built week 48. Hoping for Conti or PZero

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Thanks for that. Mine is being built week 48. Hoping for Conti or PZero

Conti's seem ok, but will still be replaced by either Goodyears or Mich when time comes. Not a fan of the Pirelli's, had them on the LCR and they seemed very prone to sidewall damage.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Mine came with cs5's which while being very grippy have worn down vey fast and will need changing at 6500 miles.

Torn between CS6 or SS, the Contis how ever being £30 less per tyre.

Scott_FR

Aug 29, 2016
Mine came with virtually new Vred Sessantas, which I had previously heard to have a decent reputation. In my opinion, they are absolutely atrocious in the wet. Terrified what they might be like when the temperatures keep dropping.

Will be replacing them with Goodyear Asymmetrics. They held my 465bhp S4 on the road for many years and were fantastic.

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Running SS on the Cupra and they have already done more miles that the original Bridgestones did (8K) and there nowhere near done yet. I'm expecting at least 50% more miles and as an added bonus wheel spin is reduced significantly and I haven't had a hop in months.

Stubaloo

Oct 15, 2016
Think Michelin have sport 4 s comeing out in January to replace the super sport.
Maybe wrong but Worth the wait if so

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Think Michelin have sport 4 s comeing out in January to replace the super sport.
Maybe wrong but Worth the wait if so

That's correct - the 4S is the true replacement for the PSS.
According the guy I spoke to at Michelin also told me that the current 4's will outperform the PSS's in 99% of situations. The last 1% will be at maximum balls out at the very limit of adhesion on track situations.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I have Asymmetric 2's on, or I had - they're off now and the Nokian's are on for winter.

The 2's are not very good to be honest. Wheel spin is easy in the dry, and wheel hop is a common occurrence. Not sure if the 3's are drastically better.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just on a note I've got a few 225/18 bridgestones hanging around in my shed If anyone wants a spare for a few quid? Plenty of tread left on them

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
Running SS on the Cupra and they have already done more miles that the original Bridgestones did (8K) and there nowhere near done yet. I'm expecting at least 50% more miles and as an added bonus wheel spin is reduced significantly and I haven't had a hop in months.

Different driving styles I guess but I've had the opposite with mine. Got 15k miles out of the original Bridgestones and whilst I think I'll get near that with the PSS's I don't expect to exceed it.

I do drive the car soooo much harder with the PSS on however, even in the wet, such is the grip and confidence they give you. Also, I'm very happy with getting 15k miles from a set of tyres on a 280!!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Different driving styles I guess but I've had the opposite with mine. Got 15k miles out of the original Bridgestones and whilst I think I'll get near that with the PSS's I don't expect to exceed it.

I do drive the car soooo much harder with the PSS on however, even in the wet, such is the grip and confidence they give you. Also, I'm very happy with getting 15k miles from a set of tyres on a 280!!

I only got 12000 from my Bridgestones (Front) but I do a lot of short journeys, still not bad for a 280.

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015

To be honest I found it weird as in my mind more grip comes with a softer compound which tends to lead to driving a bid harder all of which should cause higher wear.
I had exactly the same experience on my previous 335I. Switched from Bridgestone runflats after a couple of sets to PSS and the mileage went up significantly over a couple of sets, especially on the driven rears.
My theory is that they must be designed to last longer and also I think it makes a big difference having grip and not spinning the wheels every time you prod the accelerator when the road isn't bone dry.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.