Alright lads. Looking for some info on cupra Rs

OcTwenty

Nov 1, 2016
Hi guys how you doing, i was told this is the place to be to find out anything i want to know about Cupra Rs so i though i register, say hello and pick the brains of you lot for some info. Hope you dont mind.

Anyway im a family guy and our main car is a boring A4 but i have a spare bit of cash, only about 4-4.5k and i fancy myself something a little different to play with when the family isnt with me. Now in the past the toys ive had are a 2006 renaultsport clio 197 and a 2008 type r gt.

So id like to know for 4-4.5k could i pick up a decent cupra r, the 222bhp version? and also how are they in general? are they reliable? the one ive seen at close to 100k miles, i heard at that age the turbo is usually about to pack in, is that true or do they last longer? now random question. the dash board, is it that soft touch stuff when you press it, or is it hard plastic.

thanks lads.

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
LCRs

Octwenty

Nah go on for longer than that-the 222bhp BAM engine is sound-some of the guys on here are still driving them with 150K on the clock with Stage 1 Remaps.As with everything it depends on how they have been looked after but they will do the fast stuff when you need them to.Whereabouts are you?Dash is solid plastic.Wud recommend 1 cf wot u had before:p

Tommytucker LCR 2004

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Chassis wise the cupra won't be as playful as I imagine the renaults are mainly because when the esp is switched off it can and does intervene although I've only had that at the ring and not castle Combe where I drove harder.

Reliable? In my experience yes. I bought mine at 91k and in the first week or two the drivers window went down and wouldn't come up and the coils packed up. Was worried for a while but since then nothing (touch wood) has actually gone wrong with the car. Having said that I have been through the whole car changing things that didn't necessarily need changing or upgrading things I thought it needed. That's just me being me though.

Mines on 105k with a few trackdays under it's belt and no issues. I do have the attitude though that if something goes (like the turbo) then it'll most likely get upgraded but so far had no reason to doubt the cars reliability.

Don't worry too much about the 210/225 difference, once mapped (if that's something you'd. E interested in) they're the same.

Dashboard, errrrm, can't remember, I've not driven mine in ages, I'm housebound with a fractured ankle and the wife mainly uses it as a daily.

Edited to add. If you do get one it'd be good to drop the sump and change the oil pick up pipe. Regular oil changes are key.

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
The turbo should be good for 200k if looked after, not 100k.

The interior plastic is hard below, but has a bit of give in it at the top. It's basically an Audi A3 dash, so decent quality.

You should be able to get a good one on 80k for £4.5k

Door seals always fail, but it's an easy DIY fix.

The steering wheels get scuffed, but again you can easily DIY refurb.

Generally very reliable (the engine is from the Audi TT), but you'll need to budget in tyres and brakes. Personally I'd immediately replace the N75 turbo valve and recirculation valve (both inexpensive and another DIY job) because they tend to leak after 10/11 years.

Last edited:

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
lcr

Hi guys how you doing, i was told this is the place to be to find out anything i want to know about Cupra Rs so i though i register, say hello and pick the brains of you lot for some info. Hope you dont mind.

Anyway im a family guy and our main car is a boring A4 but i have a spare bit of cash, only about 4-4.5k and i fancy myself something a little different to play with when the family isnt with me. Now in the past the toys ive had are a 2006 renaultsport clio 197 and a 2008 type r gt.

So id like to know for 4-4.5k could i pick up a decent cupra r, the 222bhp version? and also how are they in general? are they reliable? the one ive seen at close to 100k miles, i heard at that age the turbo is usually about to pack in, is that true or do they last longer? now random question. the dash board, is it that soft touch stuff when you press it, or is it hard plastic.

thanks lads.
If you are interested send me a e-mail and i'll send you details of 1 i'm going to be selling next month tregards
Tommytucker

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
LCR for sale.

thanks lads.
Did u get sorted out with an LCR?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.